Derby v Millwall, Match Day Thread

ram59

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Good to see Marshall and Byrne back tomorrow, but think it would be very harsh to drop either of Roos or Wisdom after their performances mid week.

Over the course of the season I rate Marshall above Roos, but on recent form the latter should play.

Byrne is our best right back option so should start.

I would imagine we’ll go back to 4-3-3 with Wisdom alongside Clarke. Forsyth might stay ahead of Buchanan.

Knight, Shinnie, Bird.

Waghorn, CKR, Jozwiak.

Not saying it should be this. Just think it’s his scrap a point team.

The team for today will depend upon what Rooney thinks we can get out of the game. He has set Derby up to mirror each of our last 3 or 4 opponents with little success. Would like to see him go for millwall today because they have no real style to mirror.

Roos deserves to keep his place as does the defenders but Byrne is too good to leave out. I would like to go with five at the back.  Would give wisdom a break and keep Edmundson, mengi and clarke. Byrne and forsyth pushing on. Think forsyth is better suited to playing that role because although he may give the ball away in silly situations he is more decisive and less ponderus than buchanan.   

The decision for Rooney is to decide whether we are going to play this style or a negative midfield shape with Bird, Knight and Shinnie. I would like him to adopt a more attacking line up. Play one of the above three with watson and Sibley/ Joz.

Up front CKR and I suppose Gregory because he a former player.

Have a go at a team that are hit and miss and not be frightened to play attacking football. I'm fed up with the whole keep it tight and awful to watch. Like some I enjoyed the second half of the barnsley game and we created some good opportunities. 

Question I would like to ask Rooney is would he be happy playing in this team and formation as a younger player? 

A: I doubt it.

8 minutes ago, Donegal Ram said:

Question I would like to ask Rooney is would he be happy playing in this team and formation as a younger player? 

A: I doubt it.

Slightly different point but ... I recall there was a period when WR was known to be unhappy because Ferguson was playing him deeper than he wanted. Ironic given WR’s penchant for playing men out of position 

I’d like us to show some ambition today. Millwall are bang average so we should look to impose ourselves. Rowett will lift his team for this and is very good at going back to former Clubs and stealing the points. Mansion Bennett will also be well up for it and Alex Pearce and George Evans too. So let’s play our game and win the midfield. We need somebody to be brave and weave a connection between our midfield and our attack. Perhaps Bird at No 10? Looked right in that position with maybe 3 ch again? 
We need 3 points AND a performance today. 

45 minutes ago, Donegal Ram said:

Roos deserves to keep his place as does the defenders but Byrne is too good to leave out. I would like to go with five at the back.  Would give wisdom a break and keep Edmundson, mengi and clarke. Byrne and forsyth pushing on. 

Early on in his reign WR settled on :

Buchanan(Forsyth) / MC / AW / NB

Marshall (C)

It steadied the ship and by early Feb we looked really solid and were seeing the very best of Andre. As well as the threat posed by Byrne’s sublime crosses.

Bar injuries, stick with it! If you want more cover, fine, bring in Menghi or Edmundson as deep CM.

The recent changes in system and defensive personnel are too reactive and they MUST be unsettling to players who had found a groove and are now being asked to play out of position. 

3 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:
  • I will never forgive Gary Rowett  for selling/giving away/forcing out Prince Will ! Never ever ever ever ever ever ever .????

To be fair to Rowed Will was rubbish for us in that last season and was very fortunate to get a Prem club come in for him.

I say that as a season ticket holder who watched him through his career at Derby.

it could be that he was psychologically affected by his injury and lost a bit of confidence but make no mistake he had a poor season. As I said I thought he was fortunate to get the Watford move.

15 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I’m really not sure whether to spend a tenner on this. 

Me too.  Having listened to rams review podcast their supporter describes a very inconsistent side prone to errors, currently playing horrible football with few standout players.  Sound familiar? I think we are certainly capable of beating them. However with the current gales in Derby this is going to be an even uglier encounter.

25 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I’d like us to show some ambition today. Millwall are bang average so we should look to impose ourselves. Rowett will lift his team for this and is very good at going back to former Clubs and stealing the points. Mansion Bennett will also be well up for it and Alex Pearce and George Evans too. So let’s play our game and win the midfield. We need somebody to be brave and weave a connection between our midfield and our attack. Perhaps Bird at No 10? Looked right in that position with maybe 3 ch again? 
We need 3 points AND a performance today. 

Agreed. Their midfield is relatively weak so let's dominate that area. A Rowett team will always concede possession and try to break on you though, so do we have the tools to cut through?  Currently I don't think so, but playing the same way as them is too awful to contemplate. The ball could lie motionless in the gulf between two packs of retreating orcs.

Archived