Derby v Millwall, Match Day Thread

ram59

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Rampant said:

I think Louis Watson deserves a start. 

Without a doubt 

when he’s come on he’s been the only player who can consistently move the ball forward to a white shirt 

played a gorgeous slide rule pass to joz who inevitably did nothing with it 

11 minutes ago, Rev said:

Is Eric Steele Rooney's dad? 

He won't hear a bad word against him.

I put on Radio Derby post match as I watched the game and heard him praise the tactics and blame the players. It was utterly bizarre, the defensive line up hamstrung the team from the beginning and the lack of movement cannot be placed solely on the players- they must work on this in training fgs. CKR was totally isolated for 65 minutes of that game so blaming him seems to me mistaken. I also saw Rooney praise the midfield and I'm not entirely sure why... until watson came on we were slow, lacked creativity and helped to stunt what was already an out of kilter attack. 

36 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Pretty depressing. Separate to today, also a little underwhelmed that we offered CKR a new contract, certainly done nothing since, he has been okay for us but that is an okay within the context of us being absolutely dreadful upfront and therefore being wholly reliant on a 1 in 5 man. I hope he was signed for his excellent attitude and as a mentor to younger players rather than as a footballing decision as I'd be even more underwhelmed if he is starting next season. But a minor issue I guess given how carp the rest of the squad is anyway, certainly the best we have at the moment.

The contract is deserved. He has done very well since he's come in, suddenly he hasn't done much in the last few matches but who has? Is he getting the supply? There are several players not playing well but its more of a whole team thing. 

2 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

He was in comparison to this shower.

How much would we like a winger who could score 6 goals a year!

Lol - I'd rather have just about any player other than Russell from that side mate ?‍♂️ I suppose it's quite telling that he was one of the lesser lights. Shows how far we've fallen really when you look at this current shower of shizzle. Fed up with them to be honest.

1 minute ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

An example of what? Him not scoring? 

An example of whether in that situation one would back him to take the chance - some players you would - I didn’t with JR

8 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Yeah, Russell being re-invented recently. Doesn't score enough, no end-product and can't cross was what we said back in the day but all of a sudden he's fookin Ronaldo ?‍♂️

Context is important... Russell played in teams that scored goals from all over the pitch. So his contribution looked modest in comparison, but if he produced that level in this team he'd be a stand out. 

Just now, Monty said:

An example of whether in that situation one would back him to take the chance - some players you would - I didn’t with JR

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I agree. Just as frustrating as the current mob just playing in a far superior team IMO.

33 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Another dire result, another thoroughly dull & infuriating afternoon watching Derby

The key to beating teams like Millwall is to start with furious intensity, score first & then let them have the ball as they lack much quality with it. Signs looked good first half with us totally dominating possession but the complacency of territorial dominance crept in, the tempo started to slow/ambition faded & aside from Forsyth's two headers, we hadn't really threatened them before they mugged a one goal lead. 

Yet again the problem lay between the back line & Kazim and its becoming a familiar story. Whilst Shinnie played well & tried to inject tempo and snap into the game, we need a much more ambitious midfield when we expect to have the majority of the ball. Other than a highly dodgy tackle in the first few seconds, Knight was anonymous & seemed to content himself with playing nothing balls sideways & backwards when there was space in front of him. Further ahead, Waghorn offered very little again & Jozwiak continued his usual frustrating pattern of good movement, good touches & then diabolical decision making in the final third. I have no idea what Rooney sees to believe this is a match winning collective nor why we had so few attacking players on the field.

Whilst we were very unlucky with Sibley's touch hitting the ball, the fact is we still didn't really threaten them much second half. Roberts & Watson both made a positive impact coming on but it was very difficult against a team that could a) bring on 5 subs & constantly increase the intensity of the press & b) had the benefit of an atrocious referee who was determined not to send Evans off despite a number of offences & generally allowed their sly game disrupting fouls to go unpunished.

Got a lot of sympathy with frustrations on here & people saying they've had enough. It really has been the bleakest season I can remember (1987 onwards). No crowds makes it pretty sterile anyway but chuck in a season long relegation battle & a total lack of threat from open play (still 9 goals all season in 36 games), it really is testing the patience to the absolute maximum.

Great post sums it up perfectly 

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Context is important... Russell played in teams that scored goals from all over the pitch. So his contribution looked modest in comparison, but if he produced that level in this team he'd be a stand out. 

So you're saying you think he would? How about the context of playing in a team that was permanently on the front foot or doesn't that matter. Worlds apart I'm afraid.

The game as a whole is currently souless without fans. It's an unknown whether this group of players would perform better with a full stadium behind them.... or indeed how full the stadium would be with this group of players?

33 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Btw, I would just add it's criminally irresponsible that we put Rooney (a man who hasn't finished his coaching qualifications nor has he ever managed a team) in charge during our most difficult season in a decade. Whoever made that decision should quite frankly hang their head in shame and be treated with the contempt that they deserve. 

Rooney has a poor team to deal with, he has actually got us out of the relegation zone. No problem with Rooney as manager. Cocu was experienced. As for Rooney, the guy is a leader and a knowledgable football man. This is the poorest Derby team in many years, the players need to step up. There were signs last season that we were on a downward path.

7 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Lol - I'd rather have just about any player other than Russell from that side mate ?‍♂️ I suppose it's quite telling that he was one of the lesser lights. Shows how far we've fallen really when you look at this current shower of shizzle. Fed up with them to be honest.

Yep,absolute tripe.

Russell remains one of my favourite players from that era and forever will be!

Archived