Champions League Reforms and The Super League

Van der MoodHoover

6 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

The idea the 'founding members' (many of whom aren't even that good) can't be relegated is absolutely nonsensical and utterly antithetical to the principles of competitive football. Almost as awful are the new regulations for the champions league giving a firewall to 'historic' clubs which is essentially a watered down version of this. If clubs aren't good enough to reach a competition then that's tough luck, that's what drives clubs to do better, to innovate and allow for less traditional clubs to kick on and become big over time. Liverpool, Man Utd. etc. were not always historically successful or big hitters they've developed that tradition over time. 

This idea needs to be shut down quickly before it can begin to sanitise itself. There will I think be a massive backlash from the actual fans of those clubs, I could see boycotts, refusal to buy tickets and protests post covid. I imagine the owners are going to be completely reliant upon non-domestic audiences to make this work which is an issue if your actual home grown fan base now loathes you.

It's clear the ruling authorities need to hit these clubs with massive fines, points deductions, any future involvement in this or other schemes sees the club dissolved and  a ban on playing internationally for players if they take part in this nightmare. That should also just be for starters. If I were them I'd also be looking to retroactively bring in ownership and stronger ffp rules and see if the owners can be forced out or put through such turmoil they simply give in and sell up. Alongside this, create a new salary cap structure and financial limitations updated every 5 years to limit teams financial muscle that will be introduced by 2030. 

The champions league effectively pushed out traditional clubs like Legia Warsaw, Copenhagen and the like years ago by forcing them further down the qualification pyramid years ago.  This is the next step of ********.

I mean Jesus H ' OUR founder members have won 99 european trophies'. Spurs, Man city and Arsenal, do me a favour. Do we count the Anglo-Scottish cup which carries about as much weight as a European cup winners cup.

We promise to fulfil all our domestic obligations- putting our under 23's in the League cup and FA cup.

Over 11k likes for the Arsenal statement .  Conveniently the exact amount of years till they win this competition playing Madrid every week with no domestic challenge to fall back on .  Spurs have only won the league cup in the last thirty years and last won the title before the Beatles were in the charts.

Let them do it, then let them beg to come back in few years. twits

3 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Not all bad...

Leeds nobber straight in-League one Derby county? Behave

Probably posted by some Chelsea twit who wasn't around when they had 8000 spaced out in that cattle shed in the eighties. I distinctly remember them going to other grounds nicking seats as they didn't have any of there own but they seemed to like throwing a lot back.

Followed by the supporter of a team who were league one about 12 seasons ago there number 1 star being Shaun Goater and who we binned out the top flight in 2000. Remember beating these clowns 6-0. That's right the football giants Man City

UCL and UEFA are finished lads. ESL are massive!

In other news -vintage boots of the last Spurs captain to win a title and the match ball goes under the hammer

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKLJQi6AsDmWNi1EHnLqz

image.png.4ed3c51c1c9beb3a97878357f15c7f78.png

On the voting thread, where you don’t seem to be able to add comments (was that deliberate @sage?) I voted no to the super league. Super league teams will just become even more super rich, will dominate domestic football even more, will complain about having to play too many games and will no doubt affect domestic football schedules. If it meant they were kicked out of domestic football then it would have been a firm yes from me.

What they really want is sports entertainment. Not sport. 

they want a football version of the WWE, where the ‘competitors’ are brands, half the show is in the build up, and the results are all but fixed. 

they’ve completely lost the idea of what ‘sport’ actually is. If they want to make pantomime, they should relocate to Hollywood. 

So, basically, six pages of 'not bothered'? This is just the logical next step of breaking the wage cap through to live football through to clubs going on the stock market through to foreign ownership through to all the other tweaks that have taken the game away from the fan and into the hands of the shareholder (directly or indirectly). When we were a top flight club and it suited us we were one of the first to offer shares in our club, it didn't work out for us but it was all part of our aim to get more money to be near the top. At that time, Man City had Neil McNab as their star player and Maine Road hadn't been full since 1969. It's how it is, but we've all bought it on ourselves, slice by slice, day by day.

As for them 'big clubs' going off and doing their own thing - I really couldn't care less. They are nothing to do with the football I watch, I can't remember the last time I watched any of them play, and I don't see a day in my lifetime when Derby will be able to compete alongside them. So go do what you want, we've got Jack Stretton and we're four points ahead of Rotherham.

Have the football authorities got the balls to stand up to them? They hound us and SWFC for accounting issues but are they brave enough to say to these football destroyers that if you participate in this you are out of the English pyramid system immediately. Your choice. 

18 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Good. Let them p*** off. Football died a while ago. This is just a graveside dance.

Agree, cut them loose. If the positive from all this is it brings the rest of the football community & fans back together then I’m all for it. Give me a watered down Bovril & a dodgy meat pie over popcorn, a corn dog and a pre-match BBQ in the car park anytime.