The curious case of Rotherham's covid

RamLad1884

Reading this morning Rotherham has postponed their next two games due to covid again. They seem to have far more games called off than the rest of the league. 

Is it just a case of bad luck or trying to get games in hand on the teams around them? 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Reading this morning Rotherham has postponed their next two games due to covid again. They seem to have far more games called off than the rest of the league. 

Is it just a case of bad luck or trying to get games in hand on the teams around them? 

No point to having games n hand.  If another game is postponed they will end up having to play 4 games in a week in order to fulfil their fixtures.  Then they will be weeping about how unfair it is and the season should be extended to accommodate them

Yeah this gives them no advantage at all, look at April for them, they have 8 games to play.

In that they have to play some big games down the bottom v Wycombe, Birmingham, Huddersfield 

Then Brentford, Barnsley and Boro at the other end.

Good luck with that.

Games in hand are usually only slightly advantageous (imo), in the sense that "We now know exactly what we have to do" when the games do eventually come around.  Let's face it, if "A draw is enough" that could alter their approach to the game.

But that's in a normal season.  In this tightly packed, heavily scheduled season... but still with a "We must all finish on the same day at the same time" approach... I would think it was more of a disadvantage than an advantage.

Extra heavy schedule coming up for them.  Rather them than us, I'd say.

Sith Happens

Games in hand can be a nightmare,  remember that winter when burton ended up with so many postponement they had so many games to catch up they struggled to get results and ended up with pesch getting the sack.

I just wonder if they have injuries to any key players or something and they are trying to buy time.

I agree with those that point out a busy upcoming schedule for them and points in the bag are better than games in hand, but my suspicious nature can’t help wonder if they are up to something as none of their close neighbours seem to be affected anywhere nearly as bad as them regarding postponements. ?‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

I just wonder if they have injuries to any key players or something and they are trying to buy time.

I agree with those that point out a busy upcoming schedule for them and points in the bag are better than games in hand, but my suspicious nature can’t help wonder if they are up to something as none of their close neighbours seem to be affected anywhere nearly as bad as them regarding postponements. ?‍♂️

they would really be in a mess if our game had not been rearranged for the following night

1 hour ago, David said:

Yeah this gives them no advantage at all, look at April for them, they have 8 games to play.

In that they have to play some big games down the bottom v Wycombe, Birmingham, Huddersfield 

Then Brentford, Barnsley and Boro at the other end.

Good luck with that.

True and they haven’t got us to play for their easy 6 points either ( words I never wanted to read)

I think the only week they don’t currently have 2 games is the last week of the season. Probably have to squeeze the other in around Easter.

It would only benefit them if it meant they could draw games and stay up, rather than needing the win. They’d have a much different approach to the game...but would be a very dangerous game!

I’d be annoyed if I was the other team though...not really fair on their fixtures being congested. 

Not that surprising thay've had another outbreak - there's a fair chance their players will have to occassionally interact with the knuckledraggers that live in Rotherham.....(I say that as someone who one worked with a couple of them...)

I don’t think there’s any chance it’s a deliberate ploy on their side, why would any team want to create a more congested fixture schedule for themselves?

That said, I do think something doesn’t feel quite right with it all. This is the second time it’s happened to them, and this time around the whole country is in lockdown and not going anywhere, with cases falling rapidly across the nation. It’s difficult to see how they’ve ended up with another outbreak at the moment. Have they actually been following the coronavirus protocols properly? They didn’t seem the most... professional club when we last played them. Think it’s something that should be investigated at this point.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Think it’s something that should be investigated at this point.

They investigate any postponement, which probably means they'll give them a quick phone call, ask if they have been following protocols, they reply yes and everything is dandy.

Fair points throughout the thread, to an extent I agree that it wouldn't be great for fixture pile up. 

On the other hand though that now means Rotherham have 2 games in hand on us (and those below us) they now know what they have to achieve prior to playing the games. 

7 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

Would rather have the points any day over games in hand, you have to win them games in hand to get the points. 

That's just it though... by the time those games come around, it might prove that a draw is enough!  Thing is, they'll know what's required, before kick off.  

Archived