Creative midfielder

Curtains

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all about midfield balance. We got away with playing a midfield 3 of Bielik, Knight and shinnie because Bielik created from deep. Knight and shinnie are the legs, box to box. Now that Bielik is injured we just lack that creative spark, someone to show for the ball and get things moving.

Sibley doesn't seem to be a midfielder who can create, he's more of a player who picks up the ball and just runs with it.

As stated before, Knight and shinnie are midfielders who will do the dirty work but they're not going to pick a pass. 

Bird does have good passing ability but I don't think he can play the Bielik role as he lacks the defensive awareness.

It's a conundrum. We simply need better players in the summer. A creative midfielder should be top of the list.

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

Knight and Shinnie are runners. There's no point in having both.

I've not made any secret of my feelings towards Shinnie's ability, so he's the one I'd drop. Bird is a better passer than Shinnie. Knight is a better runner.

Since Beilik was injured we haven’t created much going forward. 

Creative midfielders are vital to a football team to provide service for the forwards  .

Until Watson came on last night nothing was moving forward.

I think Wayne has seen what Watson can bring to the team after his comments after the game  .

Bird is a a good player but needs to create more going forward and as you say Knight is a runner with an amazing engine  .

2 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

It's all about midfield balance. We got away with playing a midfield 3 of Bielik, Knight and shinnie because Bielik created from deep. Knight and shinnie are the legs, box to box. Now that Bielik is injured we just lack that creative spark, someone to show for the ball and get things moving.

Sibley doesn't seem to be a midfielder who can create, he's more of a player who picks up the ball and just runs with it.

As stated before, Knight and shinnie are midfielders who will do the dirty work but they're not going to pick a pass. 

Bird does have good passing ability but I don't think he can play the Bielik role as he lacks the defensive awareness.

It's a conundrum. We simply need better players in the summer. A creative midfielder should be top of the list.

Watson will be given a go soon I’m sure of it. 

We need to give him a chance otherwise it will be same old same old against Coventry.

22 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Start Louie Watson by far our most creative midfield player at the club since injury to Bielik 

I thought he looked great when he came on yesterday. Great energy, great movement, good passing between the lines, always looked forward.

Interestingly Wayne said in his interview that he was fantastic, that makes me think there's a chance he could start next game (hopefully) 

Not wanting to sound critical of our team selection, but I do get frustrated when I see so many defensive players on the pitch. I expect that is why our recent defensive record has been better. But we had EIGHT defensive players on the pitch last night: keeper, 5 defenders, and 2 defensive midfielders. That leaves us with 3 attacking players. 

Just now, Big Bad Bob said:

Not wanting to sound critical of our team selection, but I do get frustrated when I see so many defensive players on the pitch. I expect that is why our recent defensive record has been better. But we had EIGHT defensive players on the pitch last night: keeper, 5 defenders, and 2 defensive midfielders. That leaves us with 3 attacking players. 

It just invites pressure then there's never an out ball to play or the players who can actually play it, so the ball comes back again and more pressure. It's a never ending loop.

31 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

I thought he looked great when he came on yesterday. Great energy, great movement, good passing between the lines, always looked forward.

Interestingly Wayne said in his interview that he was fantastic, that makes me think there's a chance he could start next game (hopefully) 

He stood out - not difficult last night - but he did all the same. Looks elegant and effective. We must though allow Wazza to experiment. It’ll take time but great that we now have a conveyor belt of teenagers thanks to Mel.

If we are going to have a serious go at promotion next season ( not back to the Championship, before any doomsters pipe up ), we definitely need a player who will run the game. I’d go for Barry Bannan, especially if the Wendies go down, but would love Mark Noble 33 yo but would have a good season in him and a leader.

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Since Beilik was injured we haven’t created much going forward. 

Creative midfielders are vital to a football team to provide service for the forwards  .

Until Watson came on last night nothing was moving forward.

I think Wayne has seen what Watson can bring to the team after his comments after the game  .

Bird is a a good player but needs to create more going forward and as you say Knight is a runner with an amazing engine  .

Wayne sees what we see. No BS with him. He learnt a lot last night. The loanees now know that they are going to have to do better if they want to get in the team. They may have expected to just walk in to the team. Not going to happen. If they do not step up their game then off they go. Brilliant scheme. Nobody will be knocking on the door of Wayne today asking to start a game. Waghorn now knows he had to find his best form or he may be looking for another job on less money, likewise Wiz. Only Watson looked as good as his opponent, maybe Shinnie. Byrne looks worth 6 million quid to me. Wayne knew what was going to happen last night. He had his reasons and losing those three points is a lesson to all of our players for different reasons. Same team against one of Brentford or Barnsley please Wayne.

2 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Wayne sees what we see. No BS with him. He learnt a lot last night. The loanees now know that they are going to have to do better if they want to get in the team. They may have expected to just walk in to the team. Not going to happen. If they do not step up their game then off they go. Brilliant scheme. Nobody will be knocking on the door of Wayne today asking to start a game. Waghorn now knows he had to find his best form or he may be looking for another job on less money, likewise Wiz. Only Watson looked as good as his opponent, maybe Shinnie. Byrne looks worth 6 million quid to me. Wayne knew what was going to happen last night. He had his reasons and losing those three points is a lesson to all of our players for different reasons. Same team against one of Brentford or Barnsley please Wayne.

It seemed to me that the team was hung out to dry last night. Having slept on it, it had all the hallmarks of the manager trying to shut up some moaners in the squad. There's no way that team gets picked if we are trying to win. And if we're not trying to win, what are we trying to do?

He can now call those players into his office or call their managers and say, 'That's why you're not getting a start'. 

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Knight and Shinnie are runners. There's no point in having both.

I've not made any secret of my feelings towards Shinnie's ability, so he's the one I'd drop. Bird is a better passer than Shinnie. Knight is a better runner.

I've been thinking for while that for the team to progress we can't continue playing Shinnie & Knight. They're both great at what they do but playing both makes the team unbalanced and limits attacking.

Just now, DCFClks said:

I've been thinking for while that for the team to progress we can't continue playing Shinnie & Knight. They're both great at what they do but playing both makes the team unbalanced and limits attacking.

Can't fault them as they generally give everything they have most games, but neither have the quality on the ball that we crave though. 

I said in the lead up to the game that we had a number of players that looked out of love with the game due to the heavy workload. 

Clarke is going through the motions. He is passing backwards because it's easy. He hands off forwards to other players because it's easy. I'm not seeing the fight in him at the moment. 

Similarly Buchanan has regressed a bit. He is without a doubt a very promising young player and he will make mistakes as he learns. 

His thinking is just a bit scrambled right now and he is getting caught repeatedly by players who cut inside him. I have seen him run the ball out of play through small lapses in concentration. All the things you do when you aren't playing well or in rhythm with your game. 

Both just need a short rest. 

Mengi hasn't looked great so far but I'm sure he will be. Edmundson looks like a defender from Oldham playing in the championship but again will get better. 

Baningime showed flashes but as others have pointed out, looks no better than Watson. 

But up front? 

OMG we are weak. Even Waghorn looked good just through body language. 

12 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

It was ideal to help the loss of goals.

Archived