Sitting on dead horses

Hi 

Lots of news coverage of racehorse trainer Gordon Elliott sitting on a horse which had died in training. 

Whilst the photo was crass, does anyone else think that double standards are at play within the horseracing community? 

Horses die in the name of entertainment pretty much every day, some of them with my money on them. 

Once they have died, it's not long before they are in the incinerator. This idea of respect and dignity is not borne out in the same way as for human corpses. 

I love horses and indeed all animals and I am horrified and angered by cruelty to any of them. 

I do not condone in any way the actions of Mr Elliott, and think he should be held to account, but I do think he is being overly vilified by an industry that makes millions from equine sacrifice. 

23 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Hi 

Lots of news coverage of racehorse trainer Gordon Elliott sitting on a horse which had died in training. 

Whilst the photo was crass, does anyone else think that double standards are at play within the horseracing community? 

Horses die in the name of entertainment pretty much every day, some of them with my money on them. 

Once they have died, it's not long before they are in the incinerator. This idea of respect and dignity is not borne out in the same way as for human corpses. 

I love horses and indeed all animals and I am horrified and angered by cruelty to any of them. 

I do not condone in any way the actions of Mr Elliott, and think he should be held to account, but I do think he is being overly vilified by an industry that makes millions from equine sacrifice. 

He is currently banned from racing in England,and will stay banned until the Irish Horse Racing Society agrees to lift said ban,will hurt him very hard with Cheltenham just around the corner

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Hi 

Take your point Anag, but would you feel the same if you were the horse's owner? In this instance, it's Gigginstown Stud who are Elliot's biggest patron, but while they have been quite supportive, I suspect that's because they'll have a lot of horses with him who are due to run at Cheltenham in a fortnight's time.

I think when the industry as a whole has worked so hard in recent times to promote equine welfare, this kind of thing will only fuel the fires of those who would see horseracing, and National Hunt racing in particular, banned for evermore. Put simply, Gordon's been a massive twit and can hardly be surprised at the backlash.

FFS it just goes from bad to worse. Now amateur jockey Rob James, who is also connected to Gigginstown Stud, is videoed 'riding' a dead horse. WTAF is wrong with these cretins? It's bad enough to do it in the first place, but to do it knowing you are being filmed / videoed just shows they are these lads are thick as ducking mince. 

As for Elliot, it just gets worse... Cheveley Park Stud have removed their eight horses from Elliott's stable and are splitting them between Henry de Bromhead and Willie Mullins. The horses include the likes of Envoi Allen, Quilixios and Sir Gerhard who were probably three of Elliot's best chances at the festival. Gotta say that I feel less and less sympathy for the man as the days go by 😠