"...something special here at Derby."

RoyMac5

“I have to focus on my job at Derby. I feel I’ve got a big job here, a big responsibility to the football club...

The important thing is how we recruit in the next 12-18 months. I really believe that we are onto something special here at Derby.”

Rooney's Talksport interview with Darren Bent last night:

https://talksport.com/football/efl/842026/wayne-rooney-future-ultimatum-Derby-players/

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some might say he’s firing a shot across Mel Morris’s bough, “ The important thing is how we recruit in the next 12-18 months” And good for him by the way, letting Mel know if he wants him to stick around he’ll want want the appropriate investment.

Me personally, I’d give him what he wants but I would add “ Here Waz, you’ll laugh at this, I thought I was watching a Cocu team on Friday night, lol” just to let him know we don’t want too much of that passing back to the goalie Shiite. ?

I know deep down it is just about results with a little bit of money and ambition as seasoning so if those don’t happen he will go just like all the others in this game. But ... more than Lampard or even Steve Mac I think we have a manager  that the players listen to and want to play for so I’m on the roller coaster and not getting off until I have to. 

Recruitment wise I would agree with Wayne. To get promoted we need several players who are slightly better than Championship standard and would retain their place if the club get to the promised land. Not sure who I would pick right now...... Knight ? Clarke if we sign him ? Sibbo if he gets games and calms it down a bit ?

I like that he's turning out to be a pragmatic manager and he's getting much more out of our currently pretty limited resources.

I read his something special comment as "Bird, Knight, Buchanan, Sibley might kick on to be pretty good if we can get good players around them" and obviously, we need to recruit some players and it is always important but yes, I believe if there isn't backing for him he'll try to go somewhere he will be. His reputation as a legit manager on the up must be growing.

56 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I know it sounds like flannel, we've heard such before. But at least it does sound like Wayne values us a a club and not just a 'rung on the ladder'! #COYR

I agree Roy. I just hope upon hope that Mel can back him. We might at last have a manager who can get us over the line. Hope we don't lose him due to lack of funds at the pivotal moment. Wouldn't that be ironic.

49 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I like that he's turning out to be a pragmatic manager and he's getting much more out of our currently pretty limited resources.

I read his something special comment as "Bird, Knight, Buchanan, Sibley might kick on to be pretty good if we can get good players around them" and obviously, we need to recruit some players and it is always important but yes, I believe if there isn't backing for him he'll try to go somewhere he will be. His reputation as a legit manager on the up must be growing.

He will need to sign about ten players as it stands which includes turning loans into permanent signings and renewing a few out of contract players

I think barring an absolutely fantastic upturn in form by 2 of the 4 teams at bottom i.e.  Sheff Wd, Birmingham, Rotherham and Huddersfield (i.e.Wycombe being as good as down) were safe.

It would take a disastrous downturn in form for the rest of season for us to go down now. 

So Rooney must have one eye on next season already.

His mind must be made up on probably 80% of the playing staff of who will be staying (if they want to) and who will be let go. 

There must also be list of likely targets configured around likely budget limits from the highest available to the worst case. 

The one thing Rooney has here (at moment) is that there is absolutely no interference regarding the football side. He is free to make his own decisions. 

This season has been a bit of free hit for him but he exceeded everyone's expectations  and shown he has what it takes to be a 'good' manager.

Can he improve ? Yes with more experience, better players to coach who can actually carryout out what he tell's them to do consistently. 

Will do he that at Derby?  Time will tell.

Let's enjoy the ride while it last and see where it takes us and Rooney.

2 hours ago, Rab a dab doo said:

I think barring an absolutely fantastic upturn in form by 2 of the 4 teams at bottom i.e.  Sheff Wd, Birmingham, Rotherham and Huddersfield (i.e.Wycombe being as good as down) were safe.

It would take a disastrous downturn in form for the rest of season for us to go down now. 

So Rooney must have one eye on next season already.

His mind must be made up on probably 80% of the playing staff of who will be staying (if they want to) and who will be let go. 

There must also be list of likely targets configured around likely budget limits from the highest available to the worst case. 

The one thing Rooney has here (at moment) is that there is absolutely no interference regarding the football side. He is free to make his own decisions. 

This season has been a bit of free hit for him but he exceeded everyone's expectations  and shown he has what it takes to be a 'good' manager.

Can he improve ? Yes with more experience, better players to coach who can actually carryout out what he tell's them to do consistently. 

Will do he that at Derby?  Time will tell.

Let's enjoy the ride while it last and see where it takes us and Rooney.

I just hope this transfer window isn't like recent ones in which players have left for £3.50 whilst new ones are brought in at inflated prices. It has got to the point where I think what's wrong with him? when we beat someone to a player's signature. 

Rooney seems to be a pretty good judge of character as well as footballing ability. I'm actually quite excited for the first time that if we do have a few quid, we might get a decent squad together. 

5 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I know it sounds like flannel, we've heard such before. But at least it does sound like Wayne values us a a club and not just a 'rung on the ladder'! #COYR

Tbh, at the first fans forum lampard answered the young lad about jumping if a big club like Chelsea came knocking, with "of course not". And went on to say how appreciative he was to Mel for giving him a chance. 10 months later he's jumps.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

I just hope this transfer window isn't like recent ones in which players have left for £3.50 whilst new ones are brought in at inflated prices. It has got to the point where I think what's wrong with him? when we beat someone to a player's signature. 

Rooney seems to be a pretty good judge of character as well as footballing ability. I'm actually quite excited for the first time that if we do have a few quid, we might get a decent squad together. 

Six very good loans incoming. Some may already be here. We were beaten by Aston Villa loanees at Wembley. Players are much more likely to sign next season with a fresh start and a crack at the play offs.

Archived