Jump to content

Cardiff v Derby County match day thread init.


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I remember when we were in our pomp 2014 to 16,thinking what it would be like to be a bottom of the table champ team and just how bad it would feel be to be playing that badly and being a fan of that sort of club,struggling along.

Well,here we are........it's not felt like this for a long time but it still stings.

 

and feels even worse knowing where we've fallen from.

At least teams like Wycombe & Rotherham have never had it so good before they are probably just enjoying it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Phhhheeeewww...

Luckily Wilson didn't play, so they were lacking their best attacking outlet. Dodged a bad result there, thanks Mick!

I missed the game and now it feels like I missed something special. But to be honest, I'm not sure do I even want to see us play without CKR...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All, as a Cardiff fan, who has an affinity with Derby fans after befriending a few during Euro 2016, here's my take on last night's precedings.

We came into the game in a rich vein of form. Big Mick has somehow taken the same players that Harris had and made them believe. He has also adopted a 3-5-3 system which is very hard to break down but gives our front 3/5 the space to show their flair and abilities. Kieffer Moore is on fire, not just as a target man, he also has other attributes with his feet which makes him the bargain buy of the season at £2m. 6 wins and 3 draws breeds huge confidence.

The Rams have also seen an upturn in fortunes since Rooney took charge, arguably, considering the precarious position you were in, being the form team in the division. With all that said, last night's game looked very tough for both sides.

Games come thick and fast in this league and I knew we would have to rest 2/3 players, which we did. I must say I was perplexed when your teamsheet came out with 6 changes, Marshall was forced, but the other 5 I'm not so sure. The only conclusion I could make was Rooney has pulled a masterstroke here and seen something that most managers would not.

Quite quickly into the game I realised that Rooney was trying to match our formation to nulify the threat. He's not the first, Bournemouth did the same. Easy to say now, but I felt that this was a mistake as teams should play to their strengths, not the oppositions. The rest is history, although your team did not do themselves any favours by passing it around the back and inviting the press, which we do very well.

I have read the comments on this thread and agree with many that every game in this league is up for grabs. It did seem at times that your team didn't actually know what they were being asked to do. I guess it's a big learning curve for Rooney and more is learned in adversity than in victory.

Good luck for the rest of the season. I wish you all well.

Cheers, Jim

Link to post
Share on other sites

There have been plenty of comments over the last few months praising Rooney for tactical "flexibility" and not dogmatically sticking to Plan A. 

Last night was the downside of said flexibility. And really just illustrates that Rooney is far from infallible. 

I suspect the vaunted "top 6" form stat that some have put out will slip away soon but we'll finish clear of relegation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was poor and to be honest none of the new lads apart from Beni had anything like good games.

The positive was Louie Watson he looks a proper player even in the short time he was on 

Mengi passes backwards even when there was a forward pass on but he wasn't alone, Joz holds onto the ball too long when a quick one two or pass forward is on.

Clarke and Wisdom have been great for us so why mess about with it 

We missed Byrne last night and Buchanan Clarke and Wisdom all had poor games by there own standards so far this season.

But the biggest worry for me still hasn't been adressed and thats going forward, without CKR we look bereft of attacking content and our midfield is lacking creativity.

I like Knight,Bird and  Shinnie but think someone in the midfield has to be more creative.

If i was Gregory i would've been very frustrated last night as he made some good runs but the ball was never delivered and usually ended up being recycled and going backwards and know as a forward after a while your enthusiasm to keep making runs diminishes somewhat as the ball never got delivered quick enough or most of the time not at all

I couldn't help thinking , looking at Rooney last night, that maybe he's looking at this squad as a whole and with so many on loan and out of contract and maybe thinking or hoping that most of these players won't be here next season apart from the youngsters from the academy

 

Edited by S8TY
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Oldben said:

I like that Rooney admits he made a mistake over the Cardiff game.

He admits that making six changes for that game was wrong.

I think the tactic played 4141 was also wrong.

However, he has a great football mind and he is learning.

.A lot of people had expressed reservations prior to k.o. that the team selection was badly wrong 

mengi v keiffer moore takes some believing

.......and he didn’t change it. 
he could have swapped wisdom and mengi.
He could have dropped Edmundson back. He could have made changes at half time.
There are no excuses.
it was a totally self-inflicted wound. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Oldben said:

I like that Rooney admits he made a mistake over the Cardiff game.

He admits that making six changes for that game was wrong.

I think the tactic played 4141 was also wrong.

However, he has a great football mind and he is learning.

Derby need to significantly strengthen the team.

All of this - Really does highlight the paper thin nature of our squad. I've got so much admiration for what Rooney is doing and has done.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Can you tell us how many kms each of Shinnie and Bird cover on average? I’m guessing Shinnie would cover much more 

Wasted energy looking at the defensive stats?

He's a good squad player for this division. Nothing more. He'll help grind out results, but he won't typically have an impact in our attacking play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bluebird1 said:

Hi All, as a Cardiff fan, who has an affinity with Derby fans after befriending a few during Euro 2016, here's my take on last night's precedings.

We came into the game in a rich vein of form. Big Mick has somehow taken the same players that Harris had and made them believe. He has also adopted a 3-5-3 system which is very hard to break down but gives our front 3/5 the space to show their flair and abilities. Kieffer Moore is on fire, not just as a target man, he also has other attributes with his feet which makes him the bargain buy of the season at £2m. 6 wins and 3 draws breeds huge confidence.

The Rams have also seen an upturn in fortunes since Rooney took charge, arguably, considering the precarious position you were in, being the form team in the division. With all that said, last night's game looked very tough for both sides.

Games come thick and fast in this league and I knew we would have to rest 2/3 players, which we did. I must say I was perplexed when your teamsheet came out with 6 changes, Marshall was forced, but the other 5 I'm not so sure. The only conclusion I could make was Rooney has pulled a masterstroke here and seen something that most managers would not.

Quite quickly into the game I realised that Rooney was trying to match our formation to nulify the threat. He's not the first, Bournemouth did the same. Easy to say now, but I felt that this was a mistake as teams should play to their strengths, not the oppositions. The rest is history, although your team did not do themselves any favours by passing it around the back and inviting the press, which we do very well.

I have read the comments on this thread and agree with many that every game in this league is up for grabs. It did seem at times that your team didn't actually know what they were being asked to do. I guess it's a big learning curve for Rooney and more is learned in adversity than in victory.

Good luck for the rest of the season. I wish you all well.

Cheers, Jim

No wonder he's getting such good results when he's able to sneak an extra player on to the pitch.  Fair play...

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Sibley kicking Morrison in the face?

Actually he didn’t. His foot only reached lower chest height, and Morrison, being Morrison, didn’t just make a meal if it, it was the full monty:  pre-drinks, starter, main, dessert, after eight mint, the lot. He is a horrible player. 
 

In addition I am not sure that  Clarke actually managed to handle the ball in the alleged non-penalty. Watch it again in slow motion - is he is sliding along his body is slowly rotating clockwise which keeps his outstretched arm inches away from the ball. And just as the rotation comes to an end he moves his head forwards and heads the ball away from his arm. No peno, despite our erstwhile Rams tv commentators insisting that it was clear and blatant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bluebird1 said:

Hi All, as a Cardiff fan, who has an affinity with Derby fans after befriending a few during Euro 2016, here's my take on last night's precedings.

We came into the game in a rich vein of form. Big Mick has somehow taken the same players that Harris had and made them believe. He has also adopted a 3-5-3 system which is very hard to break down but gives our front 3/5 the space to show their flair and abilities. Kieffer Moore is on fire, not just as a target man, he also has other attributes with his feet which makes him the bargain buy of the season at £2m. 6 wins and 3 draws breeds huge confidence.

The Rams have also seen an upturn in fortunes since Rooney took charge, arguably, considering the precarious position you were in, being the form team in the division. With all that said, last night's game looked very tough for both sides.

Games come thick and fast in this league and I knew we would have to rest 2/3 players, which we did. I must say I was perplexed when your teamsheet came out with 6 changes, Marshall was forced, but the other 5 I'm not so sure. The only conclusion I could make was Rooney has pulled a masterstroke here and seen something that most managers would not.

Quite quickly into the game I realised that Rooney was trying to match our formation to nulify the threat. He's not the first, Bournemouth did the same. Easy to say now, but I felt that this was a mistake as teams should play to their strengths, not the oppositions. The rest is history, although your team did not do themselves any favours by passing it around the back and inviting the press, which we do very well.

I have read the comments on this thread and agree with many that every game in this league is up for grabs. It did seem at times that your team didn't actually know what they were being asked to do. I guess it's a big learning curve for Rooney and more is learned in adversity than in victory.

Good luck for the rest of the season. I wish you all well.

Cheers, Jim

I agree with all of that Jim, 

I have always liked Big Mick, he doesn't get the recognition he deserves and I was not surprised that Ipswich whet down as soon as they let him go.  

I was shocked with the changes we made, not only that but some of the people we kept we played in a different position.  you are always asking for trouble if you mess about with your keeper (enforced) defence, midfield and attack at the same time.

I understand the need for rest but against a resurgent Cardiff this was not the game to do it.  we are lucky the score could have been worse.

Ultimately Wayne needs to take this hit on this one, learn and move on. I'm still positive about the future in Wayne's World.

As for Cardiff, keep Mick and make sure you beat the Gumps 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RamNut said:

.A lot of people had expressed reservations prior to k.o. that the team selection was badly wrong 

mengi v keiffer moore takes some believing

.......and he didn’t change it. 
he could have swapped wisdom and mengi.
He could have dropped Edmundson back. He could have made changes at half time.
There are no excuses.
it was a totally self-inflicted wound. 

 

agree with all of that and Edmunson v Moore seems a  better match 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Totally agree re Sibley and Jozwiak - very difficult for them to do anything tonight

Lets be honest here, It was very difficult for the whole team, We had 2 opportunities of sorts 1. Shinnie shooting from long range and ending with a save and a corner, Shinnie again when Gregory was in a better position making a run into the box Shinnie chose a different option😡

I never had a concern with the team, I had a concern with the outcome...this was Cocu mark 2, 73% possession and Cardiff simply let them have it, Knowing we couldn't/wouldn't get players forward, Abject defending that if this was parks football i'd still be concerned.

The 4th goal summed up the attitude try and keep the ball lose it and wallop, Poor very poor indeed, WR is getting grief for the line up and the result and performance suggests they're right, We were a beaten team within 5mins of kick off, Cardiff never let up with their pressing of the players and ball, We were trapped by our own stupidity.

Cardiff, Coventry and Brentford within a week, Maybe tired legs and minds was WRs thinking, An opportunity to put things right on Saturday...a team will be put out that could bring back 3 points.

This squad for next season needs wholesale changes, Not just root and branch but beaming to another planet Scottie.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, James Pond said:

Lets be honest here, It was very difficult for the whole team, We had 2 opportunities of sorts 1. Shinnie shooting from long range and ending with a save and a corner, Shinnie again when Gregory was in a better position making a run into the box Shinnie chose a different option😡

I never had a concern with the team, I had a concern with the outcome...this was Cocu mark 2, 73% possession and Cardiff simply let them have it, Knowing we couldn't/wouldn't get players forward, Abject defending that if this was parks football i'd still be concerned.

The 4th goal summed up the attitude try and keep the ball lose it and wallop, Poor very poor indeed, WR is getting grief for the line up and the result and performance suggests they're right, We were a beaten team within 5mins of kick off, Cardiff never let up with their pressing of the players and ball, We were trapped by our own stupidity.

Cardiff, Coventry and Brentford within a week, Maybe tired legs and minds was WRs thinking, An opportunity to put things right on Saturday...a team will be put out that could bring back 3 points.

This squad for next season needs wholesale changes, Not just root and branch but beaming to another planet Scottie.

Just to point out, the 4th could have easily been avoided if Edmundson tried to release the ball by passing sideways to Bird.

Link to post
Share on other sites

660 passes, 73% possession, 1 (ONE) shot on target. Total embarrassment to watch. 

At one point I counted 15 passes in our own penalty area. Often yards of space in front but another sideways or backwards pass.

At 8:00 I actually gave up and switched to Man City for a minute but that seemed disloyal so went back just in time to see the next goal.

Wadaamistakkatomakaa!

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are going to lose games, unfortunately that's almost guaranteed. Rooney gave the opportunity to players brought in to show what they can do, they failed.

He has been left with a thread bare squad and been given loan players not wanted their parent club or younger players with little experience of playing at this level. He is struggling with any quality within first 11, let alone the squad, rotating one key player is hard enough and has a detrimental impact on the team because there is no one to replace them.
 

So why not try half the team in the hope that they will show some qualities, we would have struggled anyway with our first choice 11, rest CKR only ? may as well do 6.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.