Cardiff v Derby County match day thread init.

Boycie

I think that team was a bit of a mismatch. Clearly they had very little chemistry with one another.

Mengi should’ve played right back but it makes sense that Rooney wanted to give him a game in his natural position. There was no communication between him Clarke and Wisdom at all, and considering he’s 18 you’d expect one of the other two to take charge, but they didn’t really and unfortunately the opposition gave him a morale destroying night.

I’m just disappointed with the general lack of movement off the ball from our players. Every once in a while we’ll find a sweet pass through the middle of their team to either Shinnie or Knight but most of the time we just lose out to the opposition’s “press”. And let’s be honest the opposition don’t even press us, they just hold their shape and our players are too lazy to give one another options. Frustrating really, our midfield expect way too much of our centre backs, that’s where the problem lies. We wouldn’t be passing it around the back so much if our midfield could be bothered to move. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Just to point out, the 4th could have easily been avoided if Edmundson tried to release the ball by passing sideways to Bird.

The 1st could have been avoided if Buchanan hadn't kept them onside, The 2nd could have been avoided if chaos hadn't rained during a corner, The 3rd could have been avoided if we hadn't had packed our box out and left their player unmarked.

Just to point these out.

26 minutes ago, JarodyDCFC said:

Frustrating really, our midfield expect way too much of our centre backs, that’s where the problem lies. We wouldn’t be passing it around the back so much if our midfield could be bothered to move. 

It also doesn't help that one of our midfielders was a centre back

Imho there was no way we could have gotten anything from this game, whatever the team selection so great decision by the Gaffer.

anyways nobody has started a new match thread ,is it about  "whatever" time

3 likes and i'll start it

13 hours ago, DCFClks said:

In hindsight, why this of all games, against the inform team in the division, not play our 2 most constant and important players in Knight and CKR? and change the defense so much? Did they just decide that they had little chance of getting anything from the game anyway so lets just use it as a chance to rest players?

Annoying that this is the game Sibley returns, don't think we'll be seeing him for a while again.

Feel a bit sorry for Baningime as he didn't look too bad.

I never want to Edmundson in midfield ever again. 

I was quite happy that Knight was rested, not that he has done anything wrong, I just think he more than most looked like he needed taking out for a bit. Think he’s played most if not all league games and given how young he is it has looked like it has caught up with him recently? As for the rest of the changes... possibly CKR but the rest I would have kept the same.

27 minutes ago, DCFC1976 said:

I was quite happy that Knight was rested, not that he has done anything wrong, I just think he more than most looked like he needed taking out for a bit. Think he’s played most if not all league games and given how young he is it has looked like it has caught up with him recently? As for the rest of the changes... possibly CKR but the rest I would have kept the same.

I think a lot of the players need a rest but why all at once? and change the defense so much? I suspect they just sacrificed this game to give players a rest and give some other players a chance.

1 minute ago, DCFClks said:

I think a lot of the players need a rest but why all at once? and change the defense so much? I suspect they just sacrificed this game to give players a rest and give some other players a chance.

I wasn't aware we were in a position yet to just throw games away.

It would appear from last night that CKR is as talismanic as the Wardrobe he's so successfully replaced. We're now back to square one though. Looking for an able-bodied backup for our main striker. 

That is however not a slight on Lee Gregorys efforts last night. He toiled hard with not even scraps to feed on. He obviously works better in a front 2 formation.  

4 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

It would appear from last night that CKR is as talismanic as the Wardrobe he's so successfully replaced. We're now back to square one though. Looking for an able-bodied backup for our main striker. 

That is however not a slight on Lee Gregorys efforts last night. He toiled hard with not even scraps to feed on. He obviously works better in a front 2 formation.  

Can we really say CKR will be our main striker next season? He'll be 36 years old how can he possibly play week in week out ? 

34 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

I wasn't aware we were in a position yet to just throw games away.

I wouldn't thought so but that's what it looked like to me. Wayne seems to think we are in a position to gamble with lineups judging from post match interview.

13 hours ago, Derby blood said:

We where poor tonight no hiding from that. 

But since Wayne came in, we are in top 6 form, so a great turn around, yes he rested players, but Knight and Kazim will hopefully benefit from the rest, lets see how we do against Coventry and Barnsley, 4 points would be great, 2 not a disaster, and 3 would be good, and 6 would be out of this world, lets all get behind the team and the club, because staying in this division is so important for our futures on and off the pitch. 

Once A Ram Always A Ram. 

Bloody hell that's annoying!

OK, my OCD is very mild... and not even official... but why the hell couldn't you have put those opinions in numerical order?

Ascending or descending.  It matters not!

Don't get me wrong, I do like you, but ye gads, you've really wound me up now!  I hate today... and it's all your fault!   

1 hour ago, Bwash_Ram said:

Imho there was no way we could have gotten anything from this game, whatever the team selection so great decision by the Gaffer.

anyways nobody has started a new match thread ,is it about  "whatever" time

3 likes and i'll start it

Why could we have gotten nothing out of this match? Don't understand or is this sarcasm

I think this just goes to show the lack of depth in our squad.

We lack numbers of experienced players taking into account long term injury's.

We have good 1st team unit who on there day 'can' play reason well against most teams in this division and are capable of getting a result. 

As soon you start to take out players from the 'normal' starting eleven there isn't a lot there. 

Just think how bad it could have been had we not got in the 5 loan signings.  

Saying all that I don't think Rooney will be 'experimenting' again quite so soon again after last night result.

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Bloody hell that's annoying!

OK, my OCD is very mild... and not even official... but why the hell couldn't you have put those opinions in numerical order?

Ascending or descending.  It matters not!

Don't get me wrong, I do like you, but ye gads, you've really wound me up now!  I hate today... and it's all your fault!   

Tomorrow’s date is 4 3 21

nice and orderly

hope that cheers you up somewhat

4 hours ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Saying all that I don't think Rooney will be 'experimenting' again quite so soon again after last night result.

He’s experimented with selection before, successfully. And he’s shown a lot of innovation at set plays. He overdid it last night. Not because he thought Cardiff was a free hit (that’s not Rooney). But because the crowded schedule doesn’t allow him to work on a new set up for long enough on the training ground. Cant forgive him for playing Wisdom at wing back though. That was quite simply foolish

Feel sorry for Sibley, this was his big chance and he found he was playing for the misfits. But does he have enough pace ?

Waggie may be endlessly pilloried but last night there were clear signs of sentience

Seriously, what else could we expect with that lineup?

Rooney has made CKR focal point of our every attacking move and rightfully so. Take him away and yesterday we saw what is left. Gregory works hard, but lone striker he ain't. 

I don't think manager could surrender more before the game than yesterday. I don't blame him though, bigger picture is always more important than one game.

Archived