Cardiff v Derby County match day thread init.

Boycie

3 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

That'd be my line up apart from probably pushing Wisdom RB in place of Byrne, so we have an experienced & very tall back 4 to combat their hoofball.

Agree with the 3 in behind Kazim but I'd shuffle them. Firstly, believe Jozwiak looks better on the right so would give him a go there & Sibley has looked good on the left (most notably v Birmingham) where he gets a bit more space than he would at number 10. Roberts always looks to cut inside, has a bit of creativity in him & seems less bothered by traffic...I'd play him number 10.

Totally agree re Knight, he's offered very little going forward recently & if we play him, Bird & Shinnie, we'll end up sitting very deep. We need Shinnie to do the dirty work & Bird to get the ball into a front 4 that is capable of causing some damage.

Toyed for a while with the idea of Wisdom at RB, for precisely the reasons you describe - but then I remembered what happened against Wycombe when we tried that sort of tactic, so decided it was better to leave at least one forward thinking defender in there. 50/50 choice though.

Still stand by the way I’ve got the 3 in behind. Get the point about Jozwiak, but I think, with the modern style of inverted wingers, a right footed player should be more suited to playing on the left. Sibley I don’t think is a winger at all, he needs to be causing problems in and around the area, he’d be wasted on the wing. Roberts similar to Jozwiak, I get that he likes to cut inside, but I don’t think that’s a problem, he wouldn’t get so much space in number 10.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm always amazed how many people choose Sibley in their starting XI. He was ok when he came on against Forest, but he didn’t exactly light it up either. He also has a petulance at the minute which gets him into bother. I think Rooney still sees him as an impact sub until he shows better control of him emotions and impacts games more when he comes on.

I know we’re lacking consistency from our attacking midfielders. Wayne will choose the 2 that fit his plan for this game and train well. Think Gregory will get the nod alongside CKR, which could see a change in formation (352?)

17 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

That'd be my line up apart from probably pushing Wisdom RB in place of Byrne, so we have an experienced & very tall back 4 to combat their hoofball.

But Wisdom is not the best in the air as we all found out against Rotherham.

Also setting up more defensively just invites pressure. Byrne gets forward which helps to push them back and he is probably our best crosser and set piece taker as well so has to start for me. 

12 hours ago, r4derby said:

I'm always amazed how many people choose Sibley in their starting XI. He was ok when he came on against Forest, but he didn’t exactly light it up either. He also has a petulance at the minute which gets him into bother. I think Rooney still sees him as an impact sub until he shows better control of him emotions and impacts games more when he comes on.

I know we’re lacking consistency from our attacking midfielders. Wayne will choose the 2 that fit his plan for this game and train well. Think Gregory will get the nod alongside CKR, which could see a change in formation (352?)

We are lacking creativity from open play. Knight, Shinnie and Bird is a sluggish midfield that has a pretty defensive balance and the current wide players who are in favour are both runners. It has made us solid and hard to beat but I think at some point we have to forego some defensive stability to have more of a threat outside of corners. 

That said I don’t think Cardiff is the game for it

Marshall

Bryne       Edmundson      Clarke      Buchanan 

Knight     Shinnie        

Jozwiak                  Rooney                       Sibley

CKR     

????????????????...

21 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Unless we know the details of Ibes package (cue @Hintons boots ?

then it's a bit difficult to know how big a risk we took. There wasn't any fee involved so maybe not too reckless. 

I have no idea but I suspect young Jason Knight has more minutes on a professional football pitch for the first team than Ibe has in his career - ( expecting a statto to explore) 

Archived