Wazza ?

De22Ram

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rooney's doing a great job all things considered. If you want to be picky then he might spend too much time concentrating on the opposition and how they set up.

But you can't argue with the points he's got with a pretty average squad. Given the players we have to choose from, particularly with Bielik out, I'd actually prefer to see a quicker, longer ball to CKR and play from there. Friday night we were crying out for it as the goalkeeper fielded yet another back pass.

I love listening to his interviews. Says it how it is and completely understands the game.

With a better squad I'd fancy him getting us into the top 6 no problem. 

On 28/02/2021 at 17:41, VulcanRam said:

Rooney's doing a great job all things considered. If you want to be picky then he might spend too much time concentrating on the opposition and how they set up.

But you can't argue with the points he's got with a pretty average squad. Given the players we have to choose from, particularly with Bielik out, I'd actually prefer to see a quicker, longer ball to CKR and play from there. Friday night we were crying out for it as the goalkeeper fielded yet another back pass.

I love listening to his interviews. Says it how it is and completely understands the game.

With a better squad I'd fancy him getting us into the top 6 no problem. 

Is he spending too much time concentrating on how the opposition set up?  Surely, a good tactician will set up a team to nullify the opposition's strengths, but also to capitalise  on their weaknesses? Unless you're a Man City, you have to change your tactics, otherwise, the opposition are able to set up to nullify your favoured set up, even Mac1's dream team came unstuck against teams that just sat back.

Further to this, we don't know what formation, we're likely to play before each game, so neither does the opposition and they can't just concentrate on one plan in training all week.

Wayne is doing a good job at the moment , i would also like to give a shout out for Liam Rosenior , they seem to work very well with each other , Liams interviews are very good as well , potential of a good managerial partnership that could finally get us back to the Prem

Disappointed with his post match comments. If you listen to them and imagine we were playing Man City then they are fine. Otherwise I find them pretty irritating, it was a really poor performance and team selection was unfathomable at times, but he seems to be leading more with a 'things didnt quite go our way, we move on '. 

20 hours ago, Premier ram said:

Wayne is doing a good job at the moment , i would also like to give a shout out for Liam Rosenior , they seem to work very well with each other , Liams interviews are very good as well , potential of a good managerial partnership that could finally get us back to the Prem

90CA8385-A276-4DDD-85DA-8C5BB3701BEE.thumb.jpeg.eedaf249814f7b9686136b5d3460deb2.jpeg

On 01/03/2021 at 17:43, ram59 said:

Is he spending too much time concentrating on how the opposition set up?  Surely, a good tactician will set up a team to nullify the opposition's strengths, but also to capitalise  on their weaknesses? Unless you're a Man City, you have to change your tactics, otherwise, the opposition are able to set up to nullify your favoured set up, even Mac1's dream team came unstuck against teams that just sat back.

Further to this, we don't know what formation, we're likely to play before each game, so neither does the opposition and they can't just concentrate on one plan in training all week.

I produce my first witness M'Lud. 

Team sheet against Cardiff City. 

If ever a team was chosen with the opposition in mind rather than impose yourself on a game, this was it. 

Yes, there was mitigation regards tiredness, games coming up etc. But Cardiff rested players yet still took their game to us. We rested players and set up just to stop them. No-one in their right mind looked at that team sheet last night and thought 'there's a side that can win this game'. More like 'there's a side that's come for a 0-0'. 

I agree with you regards being a good tactician, but last night (and imo once or twice) it looks to me like the nullify/expose weakness balance is wrong. 

26 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

If ever a team was chosen with the opposition in mind rather than impose yourself on a game, this was it. 

Yes, there was mitigation regards tiredness, games coming up etc. But Cardiff rested players yet still took their game to us. We rested players and set up just to stop them. No-one in their right mind looked at that team sheet last night and thought 'there's a side that can win this game'. More like 'there's a side that's come for a 0-0'. 

I agree with you regards being a good tactician, but last night (and imo once or twice) it looks to me like the nullify/expose weakness balance is wrong. 

I'll be honest but I think it's far too early to be describing him as a good tactician or indeed manager.

By the end of the season we can start to judge where he is at.

He's had a good start but the football overall hasn't been great.It can be argued that he is working to stabilise us first and hopefully his style of play will blossom given time and experience so let's see.

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

If we go on and beat Coventry and Barnsley the match will soon be forgotten. If we lose to Coventry at the weekend then yesterday's surrender will look even more pointless. 

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

This is true, but he owned up and took responsibility for the errors. Admitted it was a huge gamble that didn't pay off.

Managers make mistakes that cost points. We know this all too well. He just has to learn and adapt with experience. 

17 minutes ago, Bob Gnarly said:

This is true, but he owned up and took responsibility for the errors. Admitted it was a huge gamble that didn't pay off.

Managers make mistakes that cost points. We know this all too well. He just has to learn and adapt with experience. 

Kind of pointless when the errors were plain and obvious after 20 minutes and the gamble had already blown up in our faces, and yet he still sent them out for the second half in the same state.

4 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Kind of pointless when the errors were plain and obvious after 20 minutes and the gamble had already blown up in our faces, and yet he still sent them out for the second half in the same state.

Very true, just hope he learns from it. 

4 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Disappointed with his post match comments. If you listen to them and imagine we were playing Man City then they are fine. Otherwise I find them pretty irritating, it was a really poor performance and team selection was unfathomable at times, but he seems to be leading more with a 'things didnt quite go our way, we move on '. 

Why is it irritating, he was honest he felt players needed resting with 2 big games coming up. CKR has played every game since Rooney was put in place and he's 34!!. The players that came in let him down as did most of the team Clarke & wisdom were terrible but I accept they are not going to play well week in week out & that's why we're in the bottom half of the table.

I could understand it if we were losing most games but we are not.

He admitted he got it wrong what else could he say?. No matter what you think, Cardiff are a much better team at the moment than us that's why they are in the playoff positions & we are 18th. Can you imagine how far behind we'd be if cocu was still here? we'd be pretty much down imo.

Some people need to stop thinking we're a top team and should be beating all in our way, we're not and Rooney is Learning all the time and will make Mistakes along the way, EVERY manager does.

We need to stop this entitled attitude and looking down on so called little clubs, I think we'd all enjoy the football a little more if we accept that we are not going win all the time sometimes we are going to be utter rubbish, like last night but as Rooney said, we move on. Nothing can change whats happened and it only becomes a problem if we lose the next 3-4 games which I cannot see happening.

Team selection yesterday felt like the Cocu selection against Forest in the cup. Just wrong. I thought some changes were warranted after a poor display against Forest but it just looked like a muddled together team. With extra substitutions, things can always be changed if players are starting to get tired later on. A shame because I think Rooney has gotten selections spot on generally. The team has now played badly in two consecutive matches. Still think we are capable of getting another run going though. As much as Rooney's selection needs to be scrutinised though, the players have to do better. Scared of a forward pass, basic errors, not retaining the ball. Not good enough.

2 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

well said.  I was very worried when i saw the line up and thought exactly that he had set up for a 0-0.

Rooney needs to be careful because this is exactly how it went wrong for Cocu, focusing on the opposition too much and tactically just trying to stop them scoring.

Worryingly i remember Rooney saying once that possibly the best manager he'd played for was Van Gaal, and his tactics every single game were to just stop the opposition. We all know how that turned out at Man Utd. 

5 hours ago, Chester40 said:

The only part that slightly annoyed me was when he said one of there goals was offside, always annoys me when managers try excuses like that after getting thrashed. I think it's his style to remain calm no matter what, he doesn't really show much emotion if the win or lose, or on the touchline. He was probably trying to protect the players confidence.  

1 minute ago, DCFClks said:

The only part that slightly annoyed me was when he said one of there goals was offside, always annoys me when managers try excuses like that after getting thrashed. I think it's his style to remain calm no matter what, he doesn't really show much emotion if the win or lose, or on the touchline. He was probably trying to protect the players confidence.  

Agreed. 

I hate it when they try to blame it on an offside decision. The bigger problem from the game is the fact that we were poo.

I understand the idea behind remaining calm no matter what, but it would be nice for fans to see a little emotion every so often. I don't think Wayne even celebrates when we score does he? (admittedly its not often but still)

17 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

I understand the idea behind remaining calm no matter what, but it would be nice for fans to see a little emotion every so often. I don't think Wayne even celebrates when we score does he? (admittedly its not often but still)

The idea behind not celebrating is probably to signal to the players that he's not satisfied with just a goal and wants the team to remain focused. 

he admitted at half time against Huddersfield that he got the tactics wrong and he didn't say that last night which may mean he thinks the players didn't perform, or maybe he just said that after Huddersfield because they went on to win.

Either way, I think they've been tinkering with the team too much recently  

Archived