Rooney For How Long.

ram1964

8 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Be quite refreshing if we Derby fans could just 'live in the moment' for once. Put simply, Wazza will leave when it suits him to do so. He's doing very well which, after the unmitigated disaster that was management by committee, I thought unlikely to say the least. I'm just going to enjoy the upward trajectory as long as it lasts and let the club's higher-ups ponder and plan for the future. 

My problem is that living in the moment as a club gets us disjointed squads, a massive wage bill and ultimately leads to the situation we are in now. Eventually we need a manager to stick around to help lay the foundations on which future managers can build. Otherwise it's a constant reshuffle every 12-18 months and more of the same. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

No he wont signed a two year deal so he is not going no were and besides he seems man of his word.

Just because he signed a two year deal doesn’t mean that he’s not going to potentially be lured away by another club. Reference Lampard, Rowett etc etc.

I agree with you that Rooney seems to be a man of his word. Hopefully he stays and takes us to the promise land and establishes us there.

By the end of the season, he can claim a first positive result on a clean managerial cv. 
but if we can’t fund signings and the large debt mountain starts to slip and threatens to deposit poo on his shoes then he’s bound to fancy taking on a much bigger and better project.
no not you, you tree-hugging twits, 

Not wishing to rock the boat but the mention of Colleen in this thread is an important one.

He apparently returned to England to spend more time with his wife and 4 kids and as a player that will have happened - training in the morning then go home

Being a manager is a very different proposition. The time required at the training ground etc will be far greater and I'm sure he doesn't get to spend as much time at home as he did as a player. Also the stresses will be higher as a manager which could potentially affect home life

So let's hope that his family are fully supportive as the 'new & shiny' element of his new job wears off

1 hour ago, SamUltraRam said:

Not wishing to rock the boat but the mention of Colleen in this thread is an important one.

He apparently returned to England to spend more time with his wife and 4 kids and as a player that will have happened - training in the morning then go home

Being a manager is a very different proposition. The time required at the training ground etc will be far greater and I'm sure he doesn't get to spend as much time at home as he did as a player. Also the stresses will be higher as a manager which could potentially affect home life

So let's hope that his family are fully supportive as the 'new & shiny' element of his new job wears off

He has been talking about going into management for a good amount of time though. A documentary about Rooney while he was at Everton he was planning going into management and he signed for Derby because we offered him a position as player coach.

Even his first interview on his signing for Derby he was constantly saying he was planning for management.

5 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

My problem is that living in the moment as a club gets us disjointed squads, a massive wage bill and ultimately leads to the situation we are in now. Eventually we need a manager to stick around to help lay the foundations on which future managers can build. Otherwise it's a constant reshuffle every 12-18 months and more of the same. 

I meant us fans living in the moment not the club buddy. You'd hope that management would always be making contingency plans but I was saying us fans should enjoy this mini-revival given what a crap 12 months we've had.

16 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Let's be honest buddy, that's only your opinion and just because some folk don't share it, does not really mean you can label them 'deluded'. I'm far from convinced myself as I suspect if he takes most influence from anywhere, it'll be Ferguson, who was far from flighty and ensured he had a good grounding before taking the 'big job'. Admittedly, Fergy left East Stirlingshire pretty sharpish, but after that he spent 3 years at St Mirren and 7 at Aberdeen before taking the United job. I think that's the template Wayne will adopt and his interaction with the youth players seems to suggest he's very much views Derby as a project. That said, it's all just conjecture as none of us Wayne's ear, do we?

Of course it’s only my opinion, others can disagree if they want, but they’re still deluded ?

For what it’s worth, I don’t see Rooney pulling a Rowett and ditching us for another Championship club because they have more money. I think he’s got more honour than that. But I do think the game has changed a lot since Ferguson’s early days - for one reason or another, managers rarely stay at one club long term these days. It’s a proper cliche, but it’s true - there’s no loyalty in football anymore. Works both ways, with managers getting sacked or leaving for bigger jobs. My comments are certainly not anything personal against Rooney - I wouldn’t blame any manager for taking on an established Premier League club if they were given the opportunity. I have no problem with managers wanting to advance their careers when they get given the chance, so just like I accepted Lampard’s decision to leave, I would accept Rooney’s too if he ever does leave - which as I say I’m sure he would if offered a job which is a clear step up.

Don’t think it’s worth us worrying about right now though, as I say, far too early to be talking about this!

At least Mr Rooney can't be short of a bob or two.

I don't see him being tempted by a better pay packet from a similar club to Derby. He needs to establish his reputation by transforming the Rams into a Premiership prospect, thoroughly learn his new trade and then await his chance with a top club.

Who knows? DCFC may even become a 'top club' themselves.

It has happened before, and in living memory too!

I think if in the summer we are a stable Championship club with a top half budget, Rooney will stay until Everton need a manager. 

If we are a basket case, or even a stable but cash strapped club in the summer he'll go. He's now pretty much shown he can rescue a team from a dire position. He won't want to repeat that in this division. He'll want to prove that he can compete at the sharp end.

I really can't see Rooney wanting to emulate Nigel Clough.

On 26/02/2021 at 08:10, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Counter intuitively, I'd argue that the problem of disjointed squads is made far worse by trying to build for the future.

Bringing in 'not quite ready' young players has a massive failure rate. Most academy graduates fail. The idea of trying to build your way out of this division is a mirage. The best players want to leave as the team is perpetually preparing for next season, rather than competing for honours.

Of course a sensible balance has to be struck, but a focus on the present is far less wasteful. 

On 26/02/2021 at 08:10, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

How do you ensure that? Cocu was supposed to be that man, 5 year plan etc but awful results dictate. Do you accept bad results and possible relegation as part of the long term rebuild? It’s similar to the concept that you can prepare for 5 years and then decide when it is right to go up. If a Manager does well for us there will be interest from so called bigger clubs. The way of the world. Just focus on the now for me...

On 26/02/2021 at 04:18, Jourdan said:

I think he’ll be gone before next winter is over. No takeover, no serious backing in the transfer market, and off-the-field issues - it’s a recipe for a manager to become worn down.

Like others have alluded to, he’ll be aiming for the play-offs or higher next season and he’ll only stay while the club and himself are growing at the same pace.

If Rooney has to wheel and deal to the same extent he did in the previous transfer window, I think he’ll grow frustrated as the hopes of us going from bottom six to top six in less than 12 months are almost entirely dependent on investment.

Private Fraser is that you ? ?

Archived