Rooney For How Long.

ram1964

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've seen already he's strongly guided by Alex, who spent time at St Mirren and pulled up Aberdeen before going to the big boys. The annual get together of the 'Great Players Who Went To A Top Club And Succeeded From Day One' can arrange transport in a medium sized taxi and still not have to worry who will sit in the middle on the back row.

I suppose WR to have followed Lampard’s Chelsea career closely, so I guess he will stay around for some time.

If take-over in whatever form had been cleared by next summer, I think Rooney has the ingredients (knowledge, abilities, mentality) to finally bring us back where we belong to - Premier League.

I can see Rooney getting us promoted, staying around and establish ourselves as a proper Prem team and then leaving us for United in 2028 ?

4 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Personally I think Wayne is quite astute and he will have seen what happened to Lampard and realise he is only in his infancy.

I would like to think that he will realise he has/is done/doing a good job with a poor situation and look towards what he could possibly achieve once all the stuff in the background gets sorted and money become available again.

He would not only gain more experience over a few seasons, he could really improve his CV and thus his expectations when it comes to the big clubs calling.

Statistically managers who do not do well in their first job find it extremely difficult to get another chance. Rooney will do nearly three years at PP and go on to do great things, probably in the Everton job.

I might be wrong but Rooney seems more comitted to us than Frank ever was, I actually think they're like chalk and cheese, Lampard done well to get Wilson,Temori and Mount in and without those three don't think he would've achieved a wembley play off final.

A final where for me royally fluffed it up picking the wrong side and also lets not forget at 0-2 down in second leg against the dirties it was an injury to Holmes that got Marriott on and the game changed from that point but there were some really poor performances as well under Lampard and also think he caused a lot of our demise the following season by keeping us in limbo about a job he probably knew he had and it really messed up our pre season and think Cocu wore the brunt of this.

Rooney however seems to be able to galvanise what he already has and has really made us a tighter more compact side with a steely determination to win and not concede.

the reaction to the winning goal against Wycombe said so much for me about Rooney and Rosenior.

What both Lampard and Rooney have in common is they both know it takes hard work and dedication to succeed but as far as managers go I'd take Rooney all day long over Lampard

I think if hes a success here it will inevitably lead to interest from other clubs but like others feel it'll only be Everton or United that would tempt him but that could be some time off so lets just enjoy the ride and see where it takes us.

Football is extremely fickle and who knows what's around the corner but for now its going in the right direction and the feel good factor is returning and will only be enhanced when PP is full again and we are chanting Rooooooooney's name from the rafters.....................UTR

Pretty sure I posted on this forum that one of my reservations about apointing Rooney was that we get screwed either way. 

He either failed and we end up in trouble or he does a decent job (which seems to be the case) and gets poached after 12 months, then we are left with a clean up operation once again. 

His name alone gets him half way there, he doesn't even have to actually do anything crazy with us to put himself in the frame for a 'bigger' job. 

I'd love to be proven wrong and I hope I am. 

Really depends on the job offer. If Man Utd or Everton come in for him, he'll quite rightly go.

Outside of those two, the question then becomes what we're offering him as a club v a potential suitor. I wasn't surprised to see him linked to the Celtic job but generally managers would prefer a Premier League job (or a job with real potential to become Premier League) than the SPL. An offer from a generic Premier League club would be harder to resist (Palace or Southampton for example) but his decision would depend as much on how close we look to promotion.

His lad is at the Man Utd Academy & his wife clearly hankered to return to North West England so that makes us attractive from a location point of view. We absolutely need to match his ambition though as he won't want to stay in this division beyond next season. The start he's made to his career here leaves him in a strong position to start being more demanding about resourcing & seeking closure with the/a takeover.

As to the general point, we have to accept he will leave at some stage but that's less important than Derby moving in the right direction as a club. We can't simply be in the cult of a manager (however good he is) - the key to successful clubs is to have a settled & consistent structure behind the scenes. That foundation is the reason why Leicester are doing so well (despite getting being on their 5th manager now in the Prem) - no reason why we can't match them but the long term strategic direction of the club needs to improve.

Be quite refreshing if we Derby fans could just 'live in the moment' for once. Put simply, Wazza will leave when it suits him to do so. He's doing very well which, after the unmitigated disaster that was management by committee, I thought unlikely to say the least. I'm just going to enjoy the upward trajectory as long as it lasts and let the club's higher-ups ponder and plan for the future. 

3 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Be quite refreshing if we Derby fans could just 'live in the moment' for once. Put simply, Wazza will leave when it suits him to do so. He's doing very well which, after the unmitigated disaster that was management by committee, I thought unlikely to say the least. I'm just going to enjoy the upward trajectory as long as it lasts and let the club's higher-ups ponder and plan for the future. 

I'm with ya. I'm not worried about whether Rooney leaves in a year or two, I'm just enjoying us playing in half decent form and scoring a few goals. 

13 hours ago, seths-cap said:

The likelihood is he’ll have good season next year and the big boys will come sniffing.

I’d love to be wrong and for Wayne to be the man who establishes back in the premier league. He’s got the fans love, the players respect, a brilliant stadium and training facilities and a established youth system so if we’re playing top league football and paying him accordingly I’d hope he’d consider staying until a club that he holds dear comes calling. 

Go on Wayne, don’t just make your name here, establish yourself legacy and go down in our folklore. ???

No he wont signed a two year deal so he is not going no were and besides he seems man of his word.

Rooney’s done a good job so far hauling us out the poo, but I don’t think he’s done anything to attract the attention of teams higher up the pyramid just yet. After all, the job this season is far from complete - he hasn’t been in charge long enough to prove himself as a manager as things stand. Still early doors in that respect.

That said, if a Premier League team did come in for him, he would be off like a shot - let’s not delude ourselves here. Just like players, managers will always want to advance their careers - like anyone would really, who can blame them? I certainly don’t have an issue with it, we have to realise where we are as a club right now. I don’t think it’s something we should fear either. If teams are interested in your manager, it means he’s doing a good job, and that’s what we all want! If no one would touch him with a barge pole then we’ve got a problem, and should probably think about getting rid ourselves!

If he does leave then I’m sure we will get paid handsomely like we did with Lampard which will soften the blow, and we will just have to find a suitable replacement with that money and go again. Simple really, that’s what it’s like in the Championship, it’s the same with players too. Vultures are always circling, all you can do is replace those who leave with more quality, and eventually you will get promoted yourselves. The key is getting that replacement right - we really messed up when we replaced Lampard with Cocu. There’s got to be a continuity in style, so let’s hope we’ve learned our lessons if it ever happens again.

48 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

That said, if a Premier League team did come in for him, he would be off like a shot - let’s not delude ourselves here.

Let's be honest buddy, that's only your opinion and just because some folk don't share it, does not really mean you can label them 'deluded'. I'm far from convinced myself as I suspect if he takes most influence from anywhere, it'll be Ferguson, who was far from flighty and ensured he had a good grounding before taking the 'big job'. Admittedly, Fergy left East Stirlingshire pretty sharpish, but after that he spent 3 years at St Mirren and 7 at Aberdeen before taking the United job. I think that's the template Wayne will adopt and his interaction with the youth players seems to suggest he's very much views Derby as a project. That said, it's all just conjecture as none of us Wayne's ear, do we?

I think he’ll be gone before next winter is over. No takeover, no serious backing in the transfer market, and off-the-field issues - it’s a recipe for a manager to become worn down.

Like others have alluded to, he’ll be aiming for the play-offs or higher next season and he’ll only stay while the club and himself are growing at the same pace.

If Rooney has to wheel and deal to the same extent he did in the previous transfer window, I think he’ll grow frustrated as the hopes of us going from bottom six to top six in less than 12 months are almost entirely dependent on investment.

Archived