Rooney For How Long.

ram1964

Wayne appears to be finding his feet as a manager, much to my surprise. Should be continue in the form he has started,how long before other clubs start sniffing and turning his head. Especially as we appear in Limbo with regards a take over and re-investment.I would like to think he will want to do a job at Derby and achieve what so many have failed to do before him and have a crack at taking us up.So much uncertainty in the game I suppose anything is possible.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I think Wayne is quite astute and he will have seen what happened to Lampard and realise he is only in his infancy.

I would like to think that he will realise he has/is done/doing a good job with a poor situation and look towards what he could possibly achieve once all the stuff in the background gets sorted and money become available again.

He would not only gain more experience over a few seasons, he could really improve his CV and thus his expectations when it comes to the big clubs calling.

The likelihood is he’ll have good season next year and the big boys will come sniffing.

I’d love to be wrong and for Wayne to be the man who establishes back in the premier league. He’s got the fans love, the players respect, a brilliant stadium and training facilities and a established youth system so if we’re playing top league football and paying him accordingly I’d hope he’d consider staying until a club that he holds dear comes calling. 

Go on Wayne, don’t just make your name here, establish yourself legacy and go down in our folklore. ???

37 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

Wayne appears to be finding his feet as a manager, much to my surprise. Should be continue in the form he has started,how long before other clubs start sniffing and turning his head. Especially as we appear in Limbo with regards a take over and re-investment.I would like to think he will want to do a job at Derby and achieve what so many have failed to do before him and have a crack at taking us up.So much uncertainty in the game I suppose anything is possible.

Also surprised at how well he’s done. A falling out over investment seems the most likely reason he’d leave mid-contract. Quite possible Lampard’s chastening experience at Chelsea would give him pause for thought before moving though (I think he’d only leave for the PL). As @BathRam72has said  

Here’s hoping MM will now feel his health is stable and that he will have one final push next season with Rooney. Then he can sell the club post covid.  If MM does stay and back Rooney and if (if) that works, Rooney could be with us for a long time. We can only dream

I’d welcome a tweet from Colleen that they’ve moved to Belper       haha

It's impossible to put a timescale on something like this. Things change very quickly in football. Probably best just to enjoy the upturn in form for now, starting with a convincing win tomorrow night. WR will know when the time is right for him to move on and there's not much we as fans can do to affect that. Especially at the moment when we can't physically and vocally back the team. 

It may depend on how much investment there is next season. 

Assuming we continue our upward curve for the rest of this season what else could he achieve next season without a few quid to improve the squad?  He might be thinking his stock is as high as it can get at Derby and may be tempted by a move elsewhere.

Hope we do manage to get some real investment from somewhere though and he does stick around, I've been very impressed with what he's achieved so far and would like him to have a crack at promotion.

At the moment I can only see him leaving for Everton or United, and fortunately (for us) I think Everton will stick with Ancelotti for at least  another season because 1) he's doing an okay job and 2) he'll be bloody expensive to sack this early into his contract. With United, Solksjaer's doing a decent-ish job and trying to build something, so unless they finish outside the top 4, I reckon they'll persist with him. After that point, as has already been mentioned, I'd see United going with someone experienced. 

Easy to forget how young Rooney is for a manager, he could have half a decade of experience under his belt and he'd be the same age as when Lampard first ventured into management. The big clubs will be watching but I think they'll be more interested to see how he develops over the next year or so before making any moves - see how he does with a pre-season, permanent signings etc.

As for Premier League sides further down the ladder, I would hope that Wayne has enough sense to realise that turning Derby from a bottom of the Championship side unable to score, let alone win, into a top flight team would be a much, much bigger achievement than taking over Burnley and returning them into a solid mid-table side (which they already have been).

1 hour ago, JohnHarkes said:

As for Premier League sides further down the ladder, I would hope that Wayne has enough sense to realise that turning Derby from a bottom of the Championship side unable to score, let alone win, into a top flight team would be a much, much bigger achievement than taking over Burnley and returning them into a solid mid-table side (which they already have been).

This. I can't seem him going anywhere else. The only clubs he would possibly leave for is Everton and United. But I doubt that they would even come calling

42 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Who knows really how far he can go. The Championship is the perfect education for new managers. It's also worth remembering that Bryan Robson, Roy Keane & Steve Bruce also did well in this division! 

Agree completely. For players like Lampard and Rooney whose careers have only ever been at the highest level, the Championship may seem a step down, but it's actually a very high standard for a manager in their very first job. There are some big clubs in this division, with top stadia and facilities, good players, and high pressure, to either get promoted or to avoid dropping into the lower leagues. It's a higher standard than many other countries' top leagues. It's a moot point as to whether Lampard genuinely recognised this; let's hope Rooney does. There's plenty of time for him to gain experience and end up with a Premier League job, either with us or another club.

2 hours ago, ram1964 said:

Who knows. Not worth worrying about.

If the jobs he just couldn't turn down are man u and Everton,and neither of them look likely to come calling, then it's probably up to Derby to match his ambition.

Some solid investment next season and I think he'll stay.

If we're just going to middle in the championship and a prem team who aren't a basket case come calling I have no doubts he'd rather be in a big league.

He's already stated a few times he's planning for next season so I think he'll be here for that long at least. If he's not backed properly he'll go to a club that will have the squad & funds to potentially do well whether that's in this league or the prem.

He's too ambitious and has a ferocious winning mentality to stick around with a club with no backing.

3 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Also surprised at how well he’s done. A falling out over investment seems the most likely reason he’d leave mid-contract. Quite possible Lampard’s chastening experience at Chelsea would give him pause for thought before moving though (I think he’d only leave for the PL). As @BathRam72has said  

Here’s hoping MM will now feel his health is stable and that he will have one final push next season with Rooney. Then he can sell the club post covid.  If MM does stay and back Rooney and if (if) that works, Rooney could be with us for a long time. We can only dream

I’d welcome a tweet from Colleen that they’ve moved to Belper       haha

Belper - grew up there, happy memories

Archived