Is roony aiming for title push next season

B4ev6is

22 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

He might aim for it but I doubt it will be a realistic target come month 2 or 3 into the season. We need heavy investment into the playing squad and at the minute, with a never ending takeover saga, the club can't afford to pay the groundsmen to sort out the pitch never mind making big signings.

We've got a good defence at the minute, but I doubt we'll manage to get Clarke on loan again and he'll cost a good 4 or 5 million + to bring in permanently so he'll probably need replacing. Wisdom is out of contract and I doubt the club are in a rush to hand out new deals with the takeover pending so we risk losing him for nowt. There will probably be interest in Buchanan and if we're still in a mess financially he could well be sold. We're crying out for some creativity in midfield and they won't come cheap. We will probably need a winger or 2 to add competition to Lawrence, Jozwiak and Ibe. We probably need a striker or 2 to come in and help CKR (if he even stays). And even in by some miracle the takeover goes through and the new bloke does have funds to spend, there's no guarantee we even can due to FFP. 

Why do people keep saying that about the groundsman its absolute rubbish.the groundsman have worked nearly all year round but due to the short turn around in seasons and some very poor weather they have struggled to get it back to good health

On 24/02/2021 at 20:20, Ramslaar said:

Why do people keep saying that about the groundsman its absolute rubbish.the groundsman have worked nearly all year round but due to the short turn around in seasons and some very poor weather they have struggled to get it back to good health

Fair comment but it seems to be much worse than at other clubs 

9 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Fair comment but it seems to be much worse than at other clubs 

I dont at all doubt that it's not great but to spread fake news is damaging to both the club and mel.and I'm sorry but I wont just sit and let things be said that are untrue.this club has had more than enough of it's bad headlines over the years and more so this last 18months. Dont get me wrong some of it it's own doing so I'm not excusing that. Now days across the whole world fake news is destroying everything we have built and I'm just sick of it.there used to be a time when the news was the truth now it's all about dividing us instead of bringing us together.

Sorry rant over.was nothing against you mate just me having an overall mardy moment.

• 1 year later...
On 24/02/2021 at 15:17, angieram said:

I agree. I can't see Rooney settling for a tilt at the play-offs. His aim will be automatic promotion.

Is it only a year ago that our expectations were so high? We are all feeling down in the dumps at the moment, but this time next year things could all be different again. COYR

19 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I can't believe anyone seriously thought we'd be mounting even a playoff challenge this season tbh. 

At the time this thread was created we'd got Bielik back and were in a decent run of form and looking like we would soon be taken over by a billionaire Sheikh. I think it's completely understandable why some fans were optimistic for this season before all the mess fully came to light. 

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php

That limits the spend in League one.

Season tickets and revenue from gate receipts will matter a lot.

60% of turnover allowable spend.

Highly expensive wage budgets not a good idea.

The club's at the top have generally have the largest wage budgets plus are spending the most to win promotion.

Unlikely to win promotion without at least one 15 goals plus a season striker.

If derby are handed a 15 point deduction next season, that will require an amazing team to win promotion in one season.

New owners are definitely not likely to want to see more than one season in League given the size of the debt, as that debt increases the longer the club's in League one.

The teams psychology would need to change to a total belief that they can win promotion.

It takes time for team to bond especially if your looking to bring in at least 8 new players.

Scouting network has to be exceptional to get the best talent at the best odds.

The club has to pay above the odds to bring in the best talent for a promotion push especially if there's a 15 point deduction.

The current team in my opinion, isn't strong enough to win promotion at the first attempt.

If derby ground is too expensive, might have to ground share with Burton or Notts county. I think those teams would accept the extra capital and share their grounds but that's less fans at the games so less revenue.

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

The club's at the top have generally have the largest wage budgets plus are spending the most to win promotion.

If derby are handed a 15 point deduction next season, that will require an amazing team to win promotion in one season.

New owners are definitely not likely to want to see more than one season in League given the size of the debt, as that debt increases the longer the club's in League one.

The teams psychology would need to change to a total belief that they can win promotion.

It takes time for team to bond especially if your looking to bring in at least 8 new players.

The club has to pay above the odds to bring in the best talent for a promotion push especially if there's a 15 point deduction.

The current team in my opinion, isn't strong enough to win promotion at the first attempt.

If derby ground is too expensive, might have to ground share with Burton or Notts county. I think those teams would accept the extra capital and share their grounds but that's less fans at the games so less revenue.

This might not be applicable to us. As part of the administration exit,doesn't the club have to abide by a strict financial plan that's being approved by our friends at the EFL ?

Edited by Charlie George
Spelling mistake

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

Neutral viewpoint.   Ask a Sunderland fan what needs to be done.   

You make great points and the money will certainly help once the transfer embargo is lifted.  Teams can go up successfully but it is built on exactly what you say.    The team I support, Coventry had an extremely low budget for several years because of the ridiculous outcomes of alienating the fans. 

The team had one of the poorest budgets but the manager assembled his best possible squad which actually saw us pull back from League 2 (1 season) and the following couple of years promotion push.  City's budget was affected by the revenues gained the previous seasons.  

This brings us back to The Rams. This season attendances have been as consistently high.  It bodes well for next season providing the players that make the difference want to play in League One.  If not, get rid as soon as possible because they will pull the whole team down to the mediocrity of several seasons there.  The Rams will be big payers for the right talent.  

Sunderland seem to be a fixture in their league as they miss out on promotion play-off success most seasons despite having high revenues.  Derby may still have some debt of course but I'd put a few quid on promotion next season.  

BTW Rooney has done a great job so far although the other teams seem to be doing a good job of relegation themselves.  The results are being ground out but some of those draws will cost The Rams.    Mid-table (Would be under-achieving in any other circumstances for Derby).  It is so difficult for fans because Rooney has fought out some solid results against clubs without the sanctions when their fans would have expected you to lie down.  This was our bug bear as well during our journey to league 2.

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

2 hours ago, Oldben said:

I really don’t see ground sharing with Burton as anywhere near a realistic solution. The capacity at the Pirelli is just shy of 7000 isn’t it?

I’m not expecting anything like 30,000 in league one but I’d be surprised if they were much below 15,000 even if we received another 15 point deduction are we’re battling against relegation (am I being unrealistic?). 

1 hour ago, Flying Fokker said:

Neutral viewpoint.   Ask a Sunderland fan what needs to be done.   

You make great points and the money will certainly help once the transfer embargo is lifted.  Teams can go up successfully but it is built on exactly what you say.    The team I support, Coventry had an extremely low budget for several years because of the ridiculous outcomes of alienating the fans. 

The team had one of the poorest budgets but the manager assembled his best possible squad which actually saw us pull back from League 2 (1 season) and the following couple of years promotion push.  City's budget was affected by the revenues gained the previous seasons.  

This brings us back to The Rams. This season attendances have been as consistently high.  It bodes well for next season providing the players that make the difference want to play in League One.  If not, get rid as soon as possible because they will pull the whole team down to the mediocrity of several seasons there.  The Rams will be big payers for the right talent.  

Sunderland seem to be a fixture in their league as they miss out on promotion play-off success most seasons despite having high revenues.  Derby may still have some debt of course but I'd put a few quid on promotion next season.  

BTW Rooney has done a great job so far although the other teams seem to be doing a good job of relegation themselves.  The results are being ground out but some of those draws will cost The Rams.    Mid-table (Would be under-achieving in any other circumstances for Derby).  It is so difficult for fans because Rooney has fought out some solid results against clubs without the sanctions when their fans would have expected you to lie down.  This was our bug bear as well during our journey to league 2.

If the efl restricts what we are allowed to spend it makes things very difficult.

Any quality in the current team is likely to move on, meaning a significant rebuild is required.

Derby wouldn't be looking at championship players, they would be seeking the absolute best players in league one and two, and through acquisition of such players, attempting to rebuild the team.

Ultimately, you dont buy a club for 50 million and say your happy to keep losing money by being in league one and so im confident that who ever buys the club will want to spend decent money on the team and make an attempt to promote the club in one season.

Its a great shame that we are not with a new owner yet, because Derby have to scout a lot, and they have to be willing to pay above the odds for a number of players. If they dont pay good money for players, and the clubs handed a 15 point deduction at the start of the season, that does not look good for derby.

I can't them being relegated from League One, but I do see them outside the play offs.

4 hours ago, Oldben said:

L1 restrictions are irrelevant. An owner can inject as much into the club as he wants to stay the right side of the 70% limit. Yes, it's 70%, not 60%, for recently relegated sides. 

The limitation is sticking to the Championship's P&S rules. You can spend £100m in L1 without any punishment. But, once in the Championship you'd then fail P&S due to difference allowances.

Either way, we'd still have the biggest budget in L1 if we do end up in that division.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

L1 restrictions are irrelevant. An owner can inject as much into the club as he wants to stay the right side of the 70% limit. Yes, it's 70%, not 60%, for recently relegated sides. 

The limitation is sticking to the Championship's P&S rules. You can spend £100m in L1 without any punishment. But, once in the Championship you'd then fail P&S due to difference allowances.

Either way, we'd still have the biggest budget in L1 if we do end up in that division.

Not for next season they can't they are restricted to operating within the agreed business plan with the EFL.