Is roony aiming for title push next season

B4ev6is

It's always going to be tough even getting into the top 10 when you have 9 teams in the league either with immediate Premier league players and parachute payments or recent players and payments. 

6-10th next season is maybe more realistic. 

We also have to hope Roo doesn't do a Lamps and get poached by a lower prem club. Too early for manure yet. 

Edited by oomarkwright

7 hours ago, enachops said:

Disagree. Fine margins in this league.

No doubt the squad needs work, but this gradual progression rubbish winds me up. It’s hard to build gradually in this league, failure to go up in a year or two means your best players bugger off. Add 3-4 right players, confidence high, big work ethic, togetherness, unity, strength, power,  anything can happen. 

I don’t like the idea of long term “3 year plans” or whatever either. But we have to be realistic about where we are. We’ve been one of the worst attacking teams in the division this season. Nowhere near the standard to challenge for the title! We need almost an entirely new squad if we’re going to do that. I just can’t see it being realistic to sort everything out in one season, especially with our record in the transfer market!

Whatever our aims for next season it will have to be on a budget. That is unfortunately the reality for any non parachute payment funded club in a post Covid world. 

There are fine margins in this league but the key is consistency and the only way to maintain that is a deep squad, or luck with not getting injuries to key players. Any club working to a budget needs the latter. Burnley had this luck in 13/14 and got promoted, Derby didn’t in 14/15 and finished outside the playoffs when they looked a sure bet to gain automatic promotion at one stage.

For us to be challenging it needs astute and cheap recruitment, a gem from abroad or the likes of CKR or Gregory (what i term Chris Wilder type signings), and it needs our young players to make a collective leap forward in their development. We would need Bird Buchanan Knight Sibley to all become some of the best players in this league, and we’d need a stretton, Watson and an Ebosele to develop to the point where they start being stronger options off the bench and genuine competition. We’d also need Jozwiak to kick on and hopefully Ibe can get well and be available.

Its possible to be contenders next season, but we would be an outside bet in all probability. Going for top 6 and getting top 10 or 12 would be creditable.

57 minutes ago, oomarkwright said:

We also have to hope Roo doesn't do a Lamps and get poached by a lower prem club. Too early for manure yet

I really don't think he's going to leave us for crystal palace for example. And I can't see Everton or man United come calling for a long long time

Edited by Rammy03

Wayne has already said "Its going to be a big summer for the club & me". One of the interviews with Owen I think it was. Make of that what you will.

Personally I hope Mel is encouraged by what he has seen and has the finances, the will & of course the health to have a serious crack next season with Wayne. 

13 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Well I am looking forward to this mighty rams having a title winning season providing he is given a good money to spend depanding who still owns the club but I am likening what i am see so far the form we are showing title winning team just a shame he was not in charge start of the season.

It would be nice wouldn’t it. It can only probably happen if we made some amazing signings for next to nothing who all perform excellently whilst all the sides with parachute money will be very strong probably.

4 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I don’t like the idea of long term “3 year plans” or whatever either. But we have to be realistic about where we are. We’ve been one of the worst attacking teams in the division this season. Nowhere near the standard to challenge for the title! We need almost an entirely new squad if we’re going to do that. I just can’t see it being realistic to sort everything out in one season, especially with our record in the transfer market!

Obviously lets just get the points on the board to stay up this year first but I agree with what you say to a point. I think recent results have shown how fine the margins are in this league though, in that we have gone on an excellent run that has hauled us out what was an increasingly large hole. That said, we have a lot of loanees again so even if we have a competitive team now, we have a lot of work to do in the summer to either sign some of those loanees permanently or replace them with as good or better and that is just to be where we are now. Clearly, that looks quite bright on recent form but it illustrates how fragile fortunes can be.

Time and again though we see teams in this division make a real charge just by getting a few things right in the spine of the team or whatever. Even taking ourselves as an example the ultimately woeful team under Bill Davies was transformed by adding pretty much just Howard. The later more numerous changes actually probably hindered as much as helped.

Huddersfield buried Swansea a few days ago but looked very poor last night so there really does seem to be very little between a lot of teams in this division. That said, the difference between having playoff aspirations vs automatic is a different story IMHO. To grab a top 2 spot you need to be relentless. Top 6 can just be an otherwise patchy season with a strong finish.

1 hour ago, Alty_Ram said:

Obviously lets just get the points on the board to stay up this year first but I agree with what you say to a point. I think recent results have shown how fine the margins are in this league though, in that we have gone on an excellent run that has hauled us out what was an increasingly large hole. That said, we have a lot of loanees again so even if we have a competitive team now, we have a lot of work to do in the summer to either sign some of those loanees permanently or replace them with as good or better and that is just to be where we are now. Clearly, that looks quite bright on recent form but it illustrates how fragile fortunes can be.

Time and again though we see teams in this division make a real charge just by getting a few things right in the spine of the team or whatever. Even taking ourselves as an example the ultimately woeful team under Bill Davies was transformed by adding pretty much just Howard. The later more numerous changes actually probably hindered as much as helped.

Huddersfield buried Swansea a few days ago but looked very poor last night so there really does seem to be very little between a lot of teams in this division. That said, the difference between having playoff aspirations vs automatic is a different story IMHO. To grab a top 2 spot you need to be relentless. Top 6 can just be an otherwise patchy season with a strong finish.

Think that’s the point. Any team can win an individual game in the Championship, no matter what their squad is like on paper, because it’s a crazy league. But to win the whole division, you’ve got to have a level of consistency that will only come with a very strong squad. There’s a lot of work to be done before we have that.

How well roony done in such space of time with little resources I know we got few loans but does not mean some of them wont be permeant signings I would not mind rangers defender stopping lee Gregory and hopeful Richard's will be given a new contract.

That some of holes filled already but dont forget roony got used to winning things man utd. And to me he is trying to do what sir Alex fergerson did at man utd. And to me this has rubbed on Roony and already proved if players dont want to be here or train hard enough they can leave the club.

4 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

How well roony done in such space of time with little resources I know we got few loans but does not mean some of them wont be permeant signings I would not mind rangers defender stopping lee Gregory and hopeful Richard's will be given a new contract.

That some of holes filled already but dont forget roony got used to winning things man utd. And to me he is trying to do what sir Alex fergerson did at man utd. And to me this has rubbed on Roony and already proved if players dont want to be here or train hard enough they can leave the club.

I agree. I can't see Rooney settling for a tilt at the play-offs. His aim will be automatic promotion.

28 minutes ago, angieram said:

I agree. I can't see Rooney settling for a tilt at the play-offs. His aim will be automatic promotion.

I know it’s stating the obvious but surely pretty much every manager starts the season with the aim of winning the division they’re in? 

In reality, the manager at the likes of Wycombe probably didn’t have any genuine expectations of winning the title but, whoever our manager happens to be next season, provided we didn’t start with a hideous points deduction, I’d expect them to be aiming for automatic promotion. Whether we achieve it, or even the play offs, is a different matter but I’d be disappointed if automatic promotion. Wasn’t their target.

Look roony got more points on board than Lampard did if I right remember we had play catch up to get into play offs and come back from behind after 1st and even in the 2nd leg many people throught dead and buried but not me.

Look roony will be given a full pre season and most importantly he knows what we need to kick on.

2 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Look roony will be given a full pre season and most importantly he knows what we need to kick on.

That’s all well and good mate but will he be given the funds to attract what or rather who he thinks we may need and where will those funds be coming from ?

I hope he doesn’t tire of false promises and uncertainty and we are in a position provide him with stability to carry out his vision for us because right now, I think we’ve got a gem of a manager and it will be downhill managerial-wise if he moved on, I rate him so highly.

11 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

It's always going to be tough even getting into the top 10 when you have 9 teams in the league either with immediate Premier league players and parachute payments or recent players and payments. 

6-10th next season is maybe more realistic. 

We also have to hope Roo doesn't do a Lamps and get poached by a lower prem club. Too early for manure yet. 

We may finish 10th this season or even higher. I cannot think of a team that thinks we are an easy three points now. We are still improving. Wayne has the players that he wants. What could go wrong. Wayne always thinks that we can get the three points. The players are starting to play like they agree with him. He is the best tactician that we have had for a long while. Other managers wanted players, Wayne knows how to win games.

30 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

That’s all well and good mate but will he be given the funds to attract what or rather who he thinks we may need and where will those funds be coming from ?

I hope he doesn’t tire of false promises and uncertainty and we are in a position provide him with stability to carry out his vision for us because right now, I think we’ve got a gem of a manager and it will be downhill managerial-wise if he moved on, I rate him so highly.

Wayne is going to prove his point with or without money. He is already proving his point.

26 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Wayne is going to prove his point with or without money. He is already proving his point.

I agree Rooney is proving his point at the moment but I hope we’ll have higher ambitions next season and to do that I’d like us to agree permanent signings rather than be dependent on the loan market. 

I just can’t help thinking he’s going to need sponduliks or it’s a return to the loan market. For example, I would be happy for Clarke to be with us next season, would Brighton prefer a cash bid for him ? Or would they extend his loan for a third season ? I doubt it. 

I’m not bringing Rooney’s ability into question, why would I ? I love how he’s going about his business, I just think stability and a reasonable budget should be the least he should expect from a board, whoever that may be, who would like him to be successful for us.