Rams v Red Dogs (Notts Forest) Match day Thread.

Boycie

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

we were running the Trees ragged, so although it was point robbed, in reality it was 2 points spaffed up the wall.

That first half hour is being re-invented somewhat

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont knwo where to start with last nights game, maybe the positives first... what a goal from CKR, out of nowhere and we get our point, over the moon with that. Some other observations;

Why were we doing cocu-ball again with the defence playing side ways to each other for most of the match? it was awful and completely destroyed any tempo, I do understand though you have to have someone to pass too, so many times when the pass did go forward the midfielders looked to pass back again.

Our midfield was an issue last night, no attacking drive in them, of course we had some good moments but we didn't match up thats for sure. Notts got it right somehow with pressing back Byrne & Buchanan resulting in them having no space to run into, was that because of the wingers not getting close enough to link up? Knight has a lot of energy but too many times his control ends up with the ball going back to the opposition. Its important to point out that we seem to play much better against top of the table teams who don't park the bus and want to play.

We had the better chances, Knights open goal where he couldn't sort his feet out, the penalty claim, Gregory's chance, CKR deflected shot. I think they had two real chances, one which sibley blocked & another which we kicked out nearly on the goal line, I don't count the goal as real chance as Marshall fluffed it up and the one Roos spilled should have been collected first time, the goalie made those chances not the opposition.

Jozwiak and Waghorn did nothing last night, Joz at least tried, waggy has zero pace and cement boots. I see some on here wishing for Lawrence, the same Lawrence who is bone idle and turns up at best in 1 match in 5?? I just think we need to sort out our wingers in the close season and have at least one creative midfielder.

I watched it with my father who is a neutral, he asked me if I watch this crap every week ? how little he knows LOL Overall a poor viewing spectacle but I will take the point and I am still buzzing about the goal!

COYR

12 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Due to the stupid rules about shopping, I dropped the missus off at Sainsburys and went for a walk on my own. Walked past the Ossie Park (carpet shop ffs ?), walked down Elton Road past Rolls Royce, smiled at the street art on the wall by the shops, the Ram and Brian Clough image looks grand. Went for a stroll over the railway bridge and was transported back into the late 70's.

Great memories.

It still hurts to see my old local as a carpet shop. And the old Opta club on Elton rd as a warehouse. 

4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

It wasn’t a great game of football and there wasn’t a great deal of quality on display from either side but I wouldn’t describe it as shocking. I’ve seen a lot worse.

Maybe I saw it differently because of the opposition. After a night to calm down and for the rum to wear off, maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought. 

4 hours ago, Ken Tram said:

If Derbys is short for Derbyshire, and Notts is short for Nottinghamshire ... isn't calling Notts Forest, Notts Forest, the equivalent of someone saying Derbys County instead of Derby County?

Clearly, Derbys County is incorrect, but I wouldn't care less.

Does anyone know why Notts Forest fans get upset about Notts Forest being called Notts Forest?

it reminds them they are the 2nd notts club,county being the 1st

1 hour ago, LincsRam said:

I watched it with my father who is a neutral, he asked me if I watch this crap every week...

...every week for the last twenty years!

I watched with an American pal of mine who is a big West Ham fan. It's almost embarrassing. I caused quite a scene in the pub when we equalized. I'm far less embarrassed about that than I should be.

Agree with your thoughts on the game. Hughton made Derby play his game, not the other way around (after thirty minutes, anyway). I think we'd have imposed our will and won comfortably had either Knight scored or the preceding penalty shout been given. Unlike last time out at the Shitty Ground, though, the ref was at least consistent in not giving the penalty but also letting CKR's goal stand. I can live with not getting that penalty as the price of not living in the insane world of VAR-ruined football. Generally I'm no more a fan of punt-and-chase football than any other sane person, but I thought it was obvious going into the match that we were going to need to bypass the middle of the park. All Forest do is invite you to play through the middle in the largest possible number of touches, gambling that they'll beat you to lose balls more than you beat them; that's exactly what happened between the thirtieth and eighty-third minutes.

At about 70 minutes I told the universe that I'd accept a draw. I'm relatively glad my offer was well received. On and up.

1 hour ago, LincsRam said:

I dont knwo where to start with last nights game, maybe the positives first... what a goal from CKR, out of nowhere and we get our point, over the moon with that. Some other observations;

Why were we doing cocu-ball again with the defence playing side ways to each other for most of the match? it was awful and completely destroyed any tempo, I do understand though you have to have someone to pass too, so many times when the pass did go forward the midfielders looked to pass back again.
  ?

I would say that first 30 mins was typical of Derby for at least the last 5 years against any team that wants us to break them down.

It was poor. 

I agree entirely with another post on here though, Rooney and his mindset about how he failed to perform against Everton and Liverpool at Anfield. It was distinctly dull, those words were followed too closely. Perhaps with fans it would make more sense.

We were better in the first game at theirs.

The only thing I will take the from the match is that we have finally scored after conceding first!

Other than Colin's goal, the ray of light and hope was when Sibley collected the ball and absolutely glided over the turf before a well-timed slide rule pass to put Gregory through on goal, even if Lee didn't have the legs to run onto it. In retrospect a shame Sibbo didn't use Gregory as a decoy to make room for the shot himself, but this ability to carry the ball forward at pace into the opposition box, terrifying opposing defenders, is what we so desperately need. I was glad Rooney gave Sibley more than 5 minutes for once. I hope it's a sign of things to come.

A fair result in the end. If Forest had hung on they’d have rightly claimed it was a deserved win for limiting us. But nothing lucky about us getting a point. 

If we’d have scored first would Forest have opened up more? I’m not so sure. Hughton seems to have finally sorted his best XI. Think they’ll be up there next season. My only solace is that if they make Knockaert, Freeman and Murray permanent then they’re going poo or bust. Let’s hope it’s bust. 

As for us, it’s a point gained and providing our form doesn’t fall off a cliff we’ll be a championship team next season. Who Rooney can bring in will determine whether we can challenge the top 6 or not. I think a creative midfielder, winger and another striker are a must.

11 minutes ago, oomarkwright said:

Strictly speaking the two Nottingham clubs should be called:-

Nottm County (in the City of Nottingham) and

Notts Forest (in the County of Nottinghamshire) 

no the are called notts forest because all the clubs from Nottingham are called that.  Notts County being the older and more respected club meant the forest had to have the same name

16 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

By all means have a go if you feel the need but he has done very well recently. Why not praise in equal measure?

This is fair tbh, think the frustration of the game last night didn’t help matters. While he has been better recently I don’t think he’s been good, just my opinion though

Given the talent that both sides had on the pitch the quality in the final third was awful. only one quality strike and that was from CKR (what an awesome goal). Each side had their dominating moments but there was a lot and huff and puff but a lack of quality. I though a point each was probably about right.

with the CKR goal, if that should not have been given due to handball then the handball by the Forest player should have been a penalty.

we could and should have won that and I would imagine the Gumps feel the same, sorry Notts Forest supporters lol. well at least they were only playing Derby  

7 hours ago, Ken Tram said:

If Derbys is short for Derbyshire, and Notts is short for Nottinghamshire ... isn't calling Notts Forest, Notts Forest, the equivalent of someone saying Derbys County instead of Derby County?

Clearly, Derbys County is incorrect, but I wouldn't care less.

Does anyone know why Notts Forest fans get upset about Notts Forest being called Notts Forest?

Just a new weird thing, very similar to this new obsession with Garibaldi that started 5 years ago.

Archived