Sorting out offside and VAR

TheresOnlyWanChope

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Idea- change the offside law. If any part of an attacker that can play the ball is ONSIDE, the player is onside. Benefit of doubt to the attacker and could reduce contentious decisions involving lines on screen. Could be very tricky for defenders but could sort out this issue....unless I am missing something! 

All you will be doing is drawing the lines the other way around. 

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Nah, that just reverses the problem, it doesn’t get rid of it. I’d scrap the lines altogether. Just make the call based on the replay, most of the time it’s blindingly obvious really. When it’s too close to make a call, i.e. level, then benefit of the doubt goes to the attacker. Simple.

Just a time limit on VAR decisions. If a VAR decision can't be reached within a specified time then it's not obvious, and the ref's decision stands?

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Just a time limit on VAR decisions. If a VAR decision can't be reached within a specified time then it's not obvious, and the ref's decision stands?

Wouldn’t be totally against it, but I think sometimes you need more time to make a decision. I don’t have enough faith in the original referee calls to really back the idea.

Make the rule simpler. Base it on the feet, none of this armpit nonsense. Use thicker lines, if the lines touch, onside. Increase the margin for error. If not clear after a set time limit, benefit goes to attacker/original decision stands.

They are trying to be incredibly precise based on three moving points, attacker, defender, ball player. This level of scrutiny is far harder to do than something passing a fixed point, and we don't use humans for that!

I think the best thing to do is use 1 line across the pitch to cover the width of the pitch, if the assistant is obviously incorrect then overrule the assistant, if it isn't obvious then the decision stays with the officials. It speeds up VAR and we keep the human element of the officiating. 

12 hours ago, BondJovi said:

Make the rule simpler. Base it on the feet, none of this armpit nonsense. Use thicker lines, if the lines touch, onside. Increase the margin for error. If not clear after a set time limit, benefit goes to attacker/original decision stands.

They are trying to be incredibly precise based on three moving points, attacker, defender, ball player. This level of scrutiny is far harder to do than something passing a fixed point, and we don't use humans for that!

I’d go for this, if any part of the foot is on or behind the line then you’re onside. Yes granted you’d still got the close calls with players judging onside by a toe nail, but we want goals right? That’s why we pay our money. It feels like the current VAR system is weighted towards searching for any reason no matter how minuscule to eradicate goals.

Archived