Are we becoming a Feeder Club...?

Ellafella

13 hours ago, Ellafella said:

We sold Gordon {“the best 17 year old in the Country”} to L’pool  for £1m plus, now it’s reported we’re “selling” 3, 15 year olds to Man Ure for £750K.

Are we becoming a “feeder club”? Is this a good thing as it means our academy is top drawer? Or a bad thing, as it means we are selling future assets to keep the Wolf from the door? Is it a case of “needs must”? 

Thoughts? 

Every club outside of the Premier League is a feeder club.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Rev said:

I think circumstances have led us to become a feeder club.

In normal times, I'm sure we'd have held on for more, let it go to tribunal or they wouldn't even have bothered asking.

I suspect we may have actively encouraged the moves given the situation, and similar with Gordon.

Btw, can anyone find the article that names Gordon as the best 16/17 year old in the country?

All I've seen is one article which named the best 10 age group players, of which he was one mentioned in dispatches, along with the player they'd identified as the very best.

I think this may have been the article I read.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9099455/The-best-young-footballers-watch-2021.html

He wasn’t ever stated as the best 16 year old in the country, lazy journalism and everybody jumped on the band wagon. He’s only been in the england camps 2 or 3 times when others have dropped out due to injury, there are far more established 16 year olds that would be classed as ‘better’

I think the siege mentality of Mel's early tenure meant we went through a phase of not selling anyone under any circumstances. The plan was to amass as many players as possible to ensure promotion was a mere formality. The investment in the academy was intended, I assume, to come to fruition once we were an established Premier League outfit, to introduce a couple of home grown stars to the first team squad each season. A bit like Southampton.

Best laid plans and all that.

This is only temporary in my eyes. Gordon didn’t want to sign a pro contract so nothing you can do. When Nixon who first broke the story said this was needed to pay towards wages for rest of season when I read it. 

on the Buchanan debate the lad could easily go for 20 million plus in this day and age with no COVID which hopefully summer willl be the case and the new brexit rules. If olise from reading who I have seen want Sumat like 40million for (they are in dreamland) I can’t see why he couldn’t go for 20 million plus unless we do a Derby and as usual have our pants down. Correct me if I’m wrong but to add to this there aren’t an awful lot of English left  backs at the moment. Chilwell is and obviously Lowe but Lowe is not English national team standard and last couple of England matches we have played right backs there because of chilwells injury’s. bring English should add value and he’s already in under 21s only 1 step away from national team 

17 hours ago, Ellafella said:

We sold Gordon {“the best 17 year old in the Country”} to L’pool  for £1m plus, now it’s reported we’re “selling” 3, 15 year olds to Man Ure for £750K.

Are we becoming a “feeder club”? Is this a good thing as it means our academy is top drawer? Or a bad thing, as it means we are selling future assets to keep the Wolf from the door? Is it a case of “needs must”? 

Thoughts? 

Of course - ultimately in this country everyone is a feeder club bar the top four to six - and they feed Barcelona and Real Madrid if any of their players are chased by them. You have to be top of the food chain to avoid having to sell whether that’s for financial reasons or due to the pull of a bigger club. 

For clubs like Derby self sustainability is vital until we get promoted and even then it’s still important. Bringing players through and selling them is really the only way for us to be self sufficient. It will be mels long lasting legacy (if someone doesn’t come in and ruin his good work). 

3 hours ago, Ramos said:

Of course - ultimately in this country everyone is a feeder club bar the top four to six - and they feed Barcelona and Real Madrid if any of their players are chased by them. You have to be top of the food chain to avoid having to sell whether that’s for financial reasons or due to the pull of a bigger club. 

For clubs like Derby self sustainability is vital until we get promoted and even then it’s still important. Bringing players through and selling them is really the only way for us to be self sufficient. It will be mels long lasting legacy (if someone doesn’t come in and ruin his good work). 

The important thing is to keep 'em coming .....get that mouse on the treadwheel and keep the conveyor belt on the move. Once we get back up there the the better position we will be in.

On 22/02/2021 at 18:48, Ellafella said:

Majority of teams in world football are feeder clubs to Liverpool and Man Utd. It's just the way it is.

Archived