Are we becoming a Feeder Club...?

Ellafella

We sold Gordon {“the best 17 year old in the Country”} to L’pool  for £1m plus, now it’s reported we’re “selling” 3, 15 year olds to Man Ure for £750K.

Are we becoming a “feeder club”? Is this a good thing as it means our academy is top drawer? Or a bad thing, as it means we are selling future assets to keep the Wolf from the door? Is it a case of “needs must”? 

Thoughts? 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we continue to be a feeder club then that must mean we have damn good scouts at grass roots level and good coaches bringing them on, long may that continue. 

let’s get out of this league and then hopefully they’ll stick around.

6 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

We sold Gordon {“the best 17 year old in the Country”} to L’pool  for £1m plus, now it’s reported we’re “selling” 3, 15 year olds to Man Ure for £750K.

Are we becoming a “feeder club”? Is this a good thing as it means our academy is top drawer? Or a bad thing, as it means we are selling future assets to keep the Wolf from the door? Is it a case of “needs must”? 

Thoughts? 

Puts us in a good position with all potential young footballers. We keep producing the Hendricks, Hughes, Bennett's, Bogle's, Lowe's climbing the career ladder in football. You, as a parent of a talented 10 or 11 yr old have two scouts at the match, one from Derby & another from Spurs. Who would be holding the best CV and have the best convincing evidence. There must be loads of lads with premiership teams, that don't make it, or at best end up in the lower tiers of football.

If we climb into the Premiership, then we can be more selective with who we let go or demand a bigger fee for the bigger clubs. To think it was Lionel Pickering that gave us the Training/Academy ground. Also thank Nigel Clough who brought in Darren Wassall to run the youth set up. Some credit must also go to our scouts that spot the kids. I just think the big boys have seen the progress the kids make at Derby and are willing to gamble by taking them off us before they break into our 1st team. Good business by us and the buyers, because I'm sure if these lads don't make it with them, they would most likely go on to another club for the same fee or a slight profit even if they are stepping down a division or two.

Wayne has stated that Buchannon will play for England in 2 years time . He would certainly need a superb season in the prem to do that. That being true he could possibly be sold for at least £30 mill next season . Which would go a long way towards building a team that can challenge for promotion.

3 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Wayne has stated that Buchannon will play for England in 2 years time . He would certainly need a superb season in the prem to do that. That being true he could possibly be sold for at least £30 mill next season . Which would go a long way towards building a team that can challenge for promotion.

Lee Buchanan would not fetch £30M next season, even though I think he is a better player than Max Lowe, at best probably £12M. Anyway we could be in the thick of promotion next season and would not need to sell him.

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Thoughts? 

None of this was happening until Mac returned to the club. QED.

A lot of this depends on your definition of ‘feeder club’. Right now, we aren’t being operated with the intention of supporting one club higher up the chain with resources. So, with that in mind I wouldn’t class is as a feeder club. Unfortunately, we are in a position where a club with more resources can come in and buy our best assets, whether they be first team players such as Bogle, Vydra, Hendrick etc, or youth players as we’ve seen in the past few weeks with Gordon and the three who have gone to United. It is worth remembering that we cherry pick young players from other clubs, Bogle from Swindon is a good example of this. To stop this happening we have to climb the pyramid, but even if you get onto the cusp of the ‘top six’ the same thing will happen, Leicester lost Kante, for example, but the prices we can demand will be higher and the quality of replacement can be better. What is going on is just a reflection of where we are in the footballing structure and the effects of the pandemic. There are bigger issues regarding the dominance of the top clubs, ffp, and what to do about youth player compensation, but I certainly wouldn’t describe us as a feeder club. 

It’s sad that we seem to be selling off young talent. 

in the situation that we’re in it feels like this is subsidising our player wages in the absence of gate receipts.

Of course, this may not be the case, after all with Kaide Gordon we offered him a contract and he chose to leave for a bigger club. Perhaps we did the best we could under the circumstances.

However everything else points to it being a short term tactic to pay our wages.

As such, it’s pretty horrible. I mean selling our best up and coming talent leaves us with a younger team that probably won’t be as good. It’s only logical. So we are selling our future by selling young talent. Meanwhile hoping what’s left will be good enough to make it and to push the team up.

I don’t like it.

Having said that, surely most other championship clubs are in the same situation and if they’re not able to do what Derby can do perhaps that means they are in an even worse financial position than us. that’s the only silver lining I can see in this.

We are at the moment, certainly. It’s by necessity though, to keep the club afloat. We’ve got an owner who can no longer afford to run the club, and the bloke supposed to be taking over from him is penniless as well. So the only way to fund the club and keep it afloat is by selling players. It’s better to sell players not featuring in the first team yet, rather than key players, even if we live to regret the decision in a few years time. It’s all a very grim situation to be in, but we’ve probably handled it as best as we can. I only hope we find a proper buyer for the club and quick, so we don’t have to have an even bigger fire sale in the summer. All that academy investment is going to waste at the moment.

We are selling youngsters not because we need the money but because they're not on pro contracts so we cannot stop them from moving.

If anything its a huge compliment to our academy as the big clubs can pick and choose our best talent, the only way to stop it is by being the Prem ourselves.

We will start to see this happening more often now due to Brexit as it means the big clubs are unable to look abroad for young players so will start looking at domestic younsters

Also, expect the best youngsters to be cherry picked at an early age as we have shown we will give them debuts at 16 17 so by then it will cost big teams more to buy them.

5 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Thoughts? 

I think circumstances have led us to become a feeder club.

In normal times, I'm sure we'd have held on for more, let it go to tribunal or they wouldn't even have bothered asking.

I suspect we may have actively encouraged the moves given the situation, and similar with Gordon.

Btw, can anyone find the article that names Gordon as the best 16/17 year old in the country?

All I've seen is one article which named the best 10 age group players, of which he was one mentioned in dispatches, along with the player they'd identified as the very best.

I think this may have been the article I read.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9099455/The-best-young-footballers-watch-2021.html

Bit in the Express

Manchester United are continuing their policy of hoovering up the best young talents in the country and are set to complete a triple swoop on Derby County. Wayne Rooney, who has a close affinity to the Red Devils, has also played a role.

Manchester United consulted Wayne Rooney over three new recruits from Derby County.

The Red Devils legend is now the manager of the Championship side after being promoted from the interim title he held earlier in the season.

Earlier this month, Kaide Gorde joined Liverpool with the 16-year-old signing for a reported £3m.

And according to The Athletic, United are closing in on three youngsters - all under the age of 15 - for a combined fee of £750,000.

Derby are understood to prefer selling to the Red Devils rather than wait for a tribunal, which can often lead to less money than what they would have earned if they did not deal directly with the club.

Rooney was consulted over the triple deal, with all three players set to join his son Kai at United’s academy.

Club scouts led the way, however, on the more analytical side of assessing their abilities, while Rooney has a keen interest in youth football.

Two weeks ago, he called a meeting for all of the Under-23s and Under-18s at Pride Park and told them he expected more from them after a suspected easing of standards

4 hours ago, DCFC_Sloth said:

A lot of this depends on your definition of ‘feeder club’. Right now, we aren’t being operated with the intention of supporting one club higher up the chain with resources. So, with that in mind I wouldn’t class is as a feeder club. Unfortunately, we are in a position where a club with more resources can come in and buy our best assets, whether they be first team players such as Bogle, Vydra, Hendrick etc, or youth players as we’ve seen in the past few weeks with Gordon and the three who have gone to United. It is worth remembering that we cherry pick young players from other clubs, Bogle from Swindon is a good example of this. To stop this happening we have to climb the pyramid, but even if you get onto the cusp of the ‘top six’ the same thing will happen, Leicester lost Kante, for example, but the prices we can demand will be higher and the quality of replacement can be better. What is going on is just a reflection of where we are in the footballing structure and the effects of the pandemic. There are bigger issues regarding the dominance of the top clubs, ffp, and what to do about youth player compensation, but I certainly wouldn’t describe us as a feeder club. 

The thing with Bogle was different to my mind .  He'd been released by Reading and been at Swindon a few months when we signed him.  He wasn't someone they developed from grass roots.  It's a grimly unfair system and the only thing to remedy it would be a guaranteed 20-25% sell on from any such deal and percentage of any loan fees up to 23.  Add ons are pointless.  If a youngster plays brilliant they ain't moving unless it's to Barcelona .  If there not as good as anticipated Liverpool loan him out at 500k a year to championship clubs for a few years or more to lower prem clubs and at least double or triple there investment.  We get reared and they can't lose .

12 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Thoughts? 

Yes 

The academy is a development area for others. We may get a few stragglers making our first team but they will be the next best. 
The academy will barely pay for itself if at all. 

Archived