The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

4 hours ago, sage said:

Derby College are going back in tomorrow. All students were asked to have covid tests on Friday and today.

In my lad's class of 13, only him and one other have taken tests. Absolute waste of time.

Wait for the inevitable spike.

Hope they were all sent home? What are the bloody parents doing ffs?

My missus was back last week prepping for today. She hate those bloody tests, reaches every time she does them but it's what you have to do.

6 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

My missus was back last week prepping for today. She hate those bloody tests, reaches every time she does them but it's what you have to do.

I'm furious. I tried patiently explaining to one of his college friends why it's important she takes the test and she burst into tears. 

They will all be wearing masks in the classroom this time, but yes, what are parents doing?

21 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

I think you've answered your own question for just one of the multiple reasons why they're not taking them.

22 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Took him today. 3 girls outside college without masks on about a foot apart.

Delightful.

On 05/03/2021 at 08:18, Sith Happens said:

I have heard the second can cause more of a reaction, because you already have anti bodies from the first, a bit like if someone who has had covid receives the vaccine, its been reported more side effects in those people i believe.

Yeh, my missus says that and I have a friend back in the US who is really poorly and off work after having his 2nd jab.

Sith Happens
7 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Yeh, my missus says that and I have a friend back in the US who is really poorly and off work after having his 2nd jab.

I still think severe reactions seem to be low, i know plenty now who have had and the most really people have complained of his feeling a bit 'meh'.

I guess we will see over here as more people have the 2nd jab, my dad should be having his in about 3 weeks.

42 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

I still think severe reactions seem to be low, i know plenty now who have had and the most really people have complained of his feeling a bit 'meh'.

I guess we will see over here as more people have the 2nd jab, my dad should be having his in about 3 weeks.

1st jab nothing, 2nd jab rapid onset of flu symptoms for 36 hours, no fuss just not well enough to work for a day

3 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Derbyshire Dales has had a big spike in cases. The rate was around 50 per 100,000 a couple of days ago - now up to 160 (England Average is 50).

Has there been a big outbreak or something?.

As I'm from the DD myself I feared a human/ovine jump of the virus.

Phew.

Interesting uptick in the number of cases yesterday compared to a week ago, although deaths continue to fall.

I wonder if the rise in cases has anything to do with the mass testing of schoolchildren and the postulated (relatively) high numbers of 'false positives' which apply with respect to the lateral flow tests as opposed to the PCR test - or do they wait until after a PCR test confirming the positive before adding to the actual count.

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Interesting uptick in the number of cases yesterday compared to a week ago, although deaths continue to fall.

I wonder if the rise in cases has anything to do with the mass testing of schoolchildren and the postulated (relatively) high numbers of 'false positives' which apply with respect to the lateral flow tests as opposed to the PCR test - or do they wait until after a PCR test confirming the positive before adding to the actual count.

6,753 cases reported, up by a miserly couple of hundred from last Thursday's 6,573 (from nearly double the number of tests).

The dashboard has put up a new dataset, for England only: number of positives by type of test conducted.

somebody else's summary which I have shamefully copied "which we can conclude that, despite concerns, there can't really be much of a false positive problem with the lateral flow tests (from 1,484,812 LFTs conducted in England on the 8th, a total of 1,012 positives were incurred - a rate of 0.068% of tests )"

There can't be many infectious schoolchildren being detected at the moment, either, which is encouraging (even if there's a noticeable number of false negatives, we'd still be picking up most of the real positives).