The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

Sith Happens

Cyprus have said they will welcome UK tourists from May provided the visitor has had both does of their vaccine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56289054

If this is whats going to happen everywhere then its going to be late summer before foreign travel is really open as a lot of people wont have their second doses until late summer at the earliest. Could be Autumn even.

I will have had mine by May but my wife may not even have had her first and im sure there will be lots of households in similar positions.

I am surprised they arent adopting the vaccination or negative test approach.

Not really a concern for us, we have had ours cancelled anyway and going in the UK now but a concern for the travel industry surely.

3 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

Its not a good sign when countries start blocking shipments which belong to other countries. It amazes me they can legally do it.

Will be interesting to see if uptake of the AZ vaccine in France and Germany improves now, or is the damage already done.

Maybe instead of Italy blocking shipments they should be talk to France and Germany and say if you dont want your stocks, we will have them.

Surely Australia has a right to be upset, especially as they have been blocked in the name of the EU when stocks sit untouched in other EU countries because they dont want to use them.

It will be interesting, they are now pushing a vaccine that previously they told their residents was in effect not for for purpose. 

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, Spanish said:

have you had your second jab yet?  Just had mine and it was infinitely more painful than the first.  it was 2 days ago and I still feel like I have flu.

I have heard the second can cause more of a reaction, because you already have anti bodies from the first, a bit like if someone who has had covid receives the vaccine, its been reported more side effects in those people i believe.

7 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Some of the posters did contribute to other threads as well, just seemed strange that's all ?‍♂️

Well I can only speak for myself of course but when the first lockdown started and Sky decided to make every match live it was like football heaven, I probably overdosed lol.  As time has gone on though, without the crowds they've started to feel a bit souless - even with the fake crowd noise - then of course there is nothing to compare to the actual matchday experience of being there.  Add to that the indifferent season, its just been one to write off and hope we can actually be at PP for the kick off next season. 

Re. the forums I keep half an eye on the Abu Derby thread, the transfer section and occasional others with interesting titles but other than that I've pretty much stopped caring atm.  The lockdown fatigue is real...

43 minutes ago, Spanish said:

have you had your second jab yet?  Just had mine and it was infinitely more painful than the first.  it was 2 days ago and I still feel like I have flu.

No. I won't be having it until May. The UK have taken the approach of vaccinating most people once before the second dose. I was quite sceptical of that approach at first, but science seems to have now adopted that idea as a sensible one to reduce the overall death toll.

46 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

Cyprus have said they will welcome UK tourists from May provided the visitor has had both does of their vaccine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56289054

If this is whats going to happen everywhere then its going to be late summer before foreign travel is really open as a lot of people wont have their second doses until late summer at the earliest. Could be Autumn even.

I will have had mine by May but my wife may not even have had her first and im sure there will be lots of households in similar positions.

I am surprised they arent adopting the vaccination or negative test approach.

Not really a concern for us, we have had ours cancelled anyway and going in the UK now but a concern for the travel industry surely.

What's the latest on transmission of virus once vaccinated? It wouldn't really help Cyprus if vaccinated people could still carry it over there.

53 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

I have heard the second can cause more of a reaction, because you already have anti bodies from the first, a bit like if someone who has had covid receives the vaccine, its been reported more side effects in those people i believe.

been my experience but Gib are rolling out the second ones every 3 weeks which is a lot tighter than most and likely to cause a reaction I guess

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

No. I won't be having it until May. The UK have taken the approach of vaccinating most people once before the second dose. I was quite sceptical of that approach at first, but science seems to have now adopted that idea as a sensible one to reduce the overall death toll.

I must say i agreed with you at the time, just felt like a reason to stretch the supply further.  Looks like they may have got it right

13 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

What's the latest on transmission of virus once vaccinated? It wouldn't really help Cyprus if vaccinated people could still carry it over there.

and likewise - wouldn't help us if our vaccinated Brits bring it back with them

I don't know the official answer but it feels like they might be deeming it as irrelevant. They are working on the idea that if we vaccinate the adult population, then the transmission rate doesn't matter - as long as the numbers of deaths and hospitalisations drops right down to small numbers

Personally that sounds a pretty cavalier approach to me, as we're in big trouble if the virus mutates to become vaccine resistant, and of course any death from Covid is what we want to avoid. The deaths don't matter less if there are fewer of them

But then again, the science seems to be against "zero covid" ever being reached, so who knows how this will play out...

Edited by Stive Pesley

47 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Well I can only speak for myself of course but when the first lockdown started and Sky decided to make every match live it was like football heaven, I probably overdosed lol.  As time has gone on though, without the crowds they've started to feel a bit souless - even with the fake crowd noise - then of course there is nothing to compare to the actual matchday experience of being there.  Add to that the indifferent season, its just been one to write off and hope we can actually be at PP for the kick off next season. 

Re. the forums I keep half an eye on the Abu Derby thread, the transfer section and occasional others with interesting titles but other than that I've pretty much stopped caring atm.  The lockdown fatigue is real...

Back to work in the office on Monday.  Infections and hospitalisations are significantly down despite the dearth of vaccines.  We can now travel within most of the province.  Probably go to the seaside next week, Sanlucar.  The bars are restricted to close at 2130 though

59 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I don't know the official answer but it feels like they might be deeming it as irrelevant. They are working on the idea that if we vaccinate the adult population, then the transmission rate doesn't matter - as long as the numbers of deaths and hospitalisations drops right down to small numbers

Personally that sounds a pretty cavalier approach to me, as we're in big trouble if the virus mutates to become vaccine resistant, and of course any death from Covid is what we want to avoid. The deaths don't matter less if there are fewer of them

But then again, the science seems to be against "zero covid" ever being reached, so who knows how this will play out...

I’m right with you , we need to stay locked down until we eradicate ALL flu deaths too

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

The key is having enough vaccinated. The risk of getting a virus that evolves enough to become vaccine resistant from serious death is minimal if you reduce the number of hosts it has. The bigger risk is the number of people who refuse to have the vaccine IMO.

That said, let's not forget this evolved from one person under 18 months ago, maybe going abroad before we have it fully under control in this country isn't the best idea just yet.

Sith Happens
4 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

The suggestion of one dose of either was it reduced transmission by about 66% so one can assume when both doses taken that will be higher.

Its a significant figure.

Sith Happens
3 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

It will depend what the 'acceptable' level of deaths is deemed to be.

If its going to be with us forever then there will be deaths each year.

Even countries that are trying for zero covid cant keep their borders shut forever surely, and once they open them then levels will surely rise but be controlled by the vaccination program.

My guesstimate is acceptable will be similar numbers to those who die with flu, which i guess many of those would be preventable if we shielded those more at risk each year, which we arent going to start doing.

14 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

It will depend what the 'acceptable' level of deaths is deemed to be.

If its going to be with us forever then there will be deaths each year.

Even countries that are trying for zero covid cant keep their borders shut forever surely, and once they open them then levels will surely rise but be controlled by the vaccination program.

My guesstimate is acceptable will be similar numbers to those who die with flu, which i guess many of those would be preventable if we shielded those more at risk each year, which we arent going to start doing.

I guess there will be an irreducible minimum, a bit like hospital acquired pneumonia that tends to do for people at the end of their lives.  Medical science will always strive to find cures irrespective of the cause.  I don't think it is numbers thing as such

23 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

The suggestion of one dose of either was it reduced transmission by about 66% so one can assume when both doses taken that will be higher.

Its a significant figure.

it is when you factor into this that there will be a proportion of the population that will not be susceptible to the virus in any case.