The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

58 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

In the news today I see they are talking about a booster in October to deal with variants. Good that they can tweak the vaccine so quickly, and seems to indicate that it's going to end up an annual jab like the flu jab

We'll end up a nation of pin cushions at this rate

Was always the plan. 

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

In the news today I see they are talking about a booster in October to deal with variants. Good that they can tweak the vaccine so quickly, and seems to indicate that it's going to end up an annual jab like the flu jab

We'll end up a nation of pin cushions at this rate

• 2 parts Tequila Rose
  • 2 parts Kahlua
  • 1 part Vodka
  • 0.5 part Half cream

Shake well over ice, strain and pour into a glass with fresh ice.

Oh, sorry. I thought you said 'Pink Russian' (let the cocktail puns commence)

Edited by Eddie

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:
  • 2 parts Tequila Rose
  • 2 parts Kahlua
  • 1 part Vodka
  • 0.5 part Half cream

Introducing cocktail recipes to the forum? How very cosmopolitan of you

Muckerette had her (first) jab a fortnight ago today.  She's had an itch around the jab this week.  Yesterday it was extremely blotchy.  Died down a fair bit today.

A quick Google (by her) suggests it is nothing to worry, and is only affecting a minority (I think she said around 1% of those who have had the jab?)  Showing at around 7 to 10 days after the jab, which coincides with her itching starting on Monday.

She's feeling a little special, bless her!   

Just putting it out there.  ?

Majority of family have gone for round one of vaccines which is a big relief.

Went into the office at work for the first time in nearly a year yesterday. It was great to finally meet some colleagues, even if it was a little awkward with the face masks and the social distancing. Our boss asked us how we felt about going forward with our work environment, do we want to work from home, work in the office or do a hybrid. Bar two people, everyone wants to have the flexibility of office work and working from home.

We've agreed initially on at least working the office once a week, from August onwards, to interact as a team and share ideas because the downside of WFH is a lack of trying to suggest improvements. People have been content to just crack on with their job which is fair enough. Having the human interaction is still really important to me.

I am backing hybrid working all the way. My mental health has been better working from home. Less stress with the commute, less intimidation from bosses, not having to listen to the office politics BS is bliss. I still want the option to go into the office but there is no need for me to be there 5 days a week. Everything for me is designed to work online so I can work from any location if I wanted. I am fortunate in that regard because many businesses were struggling to ensure every member of staff could work from home.

If the business you work for is built to work from any location, they should be offering a hybrid solution. Less people off sick, more productivity as a team. Yes, one or two have been taking the mick, however they would do that anyway regardless of where they were working. The Nationwide staff survey said 7% of staff just want to work in the office. 93% want to either WFH or have the hybrid option. A big statement in my view. People have had enough of the typical working day. It makes them unhappy. Why Sunak is drumming people to go back to the office full time is a mystery (wait, his family own alot of commercial buildings). 

Save the environment, look after your mental health, don't let these corporate bullies force you back in a grotty office full time.

Edited by SouthStandDan

1 hour ago, SouthStandDan said:

Why Sunak is drumming people to go back to the office full time is a mystery (wait, his family own alot of commercial buildings). 

Not to mention the rail operators all going bust & needing bailing out when they can no longer rely on season tickets. I know a couple of people who commute (or were, anyway) from Newark to London and were paying around 12 grand a year for the "priviledge".

There's going to be a long period of re-adjustment to the new normal. Maybe that scares Sunak too.

I'm probably going to go back to the office pretty much full time but that's because I live 10 mins drive max from work and I miss the people - most of whom need to be on site.

Where my wife works, they have a London office, with a London salary weighting. They've all been WFH during lockdown, and will be offered total flexibility in how often the attend the office in person going forward.

One person has relocated to Cornwall in the meanwhile, and wants to work from the office 2 days a month. 

Whilst that's feasible, do they keep the salary they currently enjoy, or should their pay be reduced to better reflect the new circumstances?

After all, the cost of living in Cornwall is much cheaper, and that extra money was paid in the expectation you'd either live in London, or travel in every day.

These are the sorts of questions HR/Legal departments are wrestling with, I wonder what people's opinions are?

They've already banned people working from home while abroad, due to problems surrounding taxation and NI.

3 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

Went into the office at work for the first time in nearly a year yesterday. It was great to finally meet some colleagues, even if it was a little awkward with the face masks and the social distancing. Our boss asked us how we felt about going forward with our work environment, do we want to work from home, work in the office or do a hybrid. Bar two people, everyone wants to have the flexibility of office work and working from home.

We've agreed initially on at least working the office once a week, from August onwards, to interact as a team and share ideas because the downside of WFH is a lack of trying to suggest improvements. People have been content to just crack on with their job which is fair enough. Having the human interaction is still really important to me.

I am backing hybrid working all the way. My mental health has been better working from home. Less stress with the commute, less intimidation from bosses, not having to listen to the office politics BS is bliss. I still want the option to go into the office but there is no need for me to be there 5 days a week. Everything for me is designed to work online so I can work from any location if I wanted. I am fortunate in that regard because many businesses were struggling to ensure every member of staff could work from home.

If the business you work for is built to work from any location, they should be offering a hybrid solution. Less people off sick, more productivity as a team. Yes, one or two have been taking the mick, however they would do that anyway regardless of where they were working. The Nationwide staff survey said 7% of staff just want to work in the office. 93% want to either WFH or have the hybrid option. A big statement in my view. People have had enough of the typical working day. It makes them unhappy. Why Sunak is drumming people to go back to the office full time is a mystery (wait, his family own alot of commercial buildings). 

Save the environment, look after your mental health, don't let these corporate bullies force you back in a grotty office full time.

I read that in Les Dennis' voice

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Not to mention the rail operators all going bust & needing bailing out when they can no longer rely on season tickets. I know a couple of people who commute (or were, anyway) from Newark to London and were paying around 12 grand a year for the "priviledge".

There's going to be a long period of re-adjustment to the new normal. Maybe that scares Sunak too.

I'm probably going to go back to the office pretty much full time but that's because I live 10 mins drive max from work and I miss the people - most of whom need to be on site.

The government gonna need to really rethink stinging rail passengers or the value of commercial property in inner cities will collapse as all organisations try to downsize on their current leases. 

I personally would prefer a hybrid approach.. 2/3days in office/home. A lot of businesses were going that way before covid. 

20 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

The government gonna need to really rethink stinging rail passengers or the value of commercial property in inner cities will collapse as all organisations try to downsize on their current leases. 

I personally would prefer a hybrid approach.. 2/3days in office/home. A lot of businesses were going that way before covid. 

My mate Kev flew over from Spain a few weeks ago (he's recording the new Witch Cross and Steve Bonham albums). He arrived at Heathrow, made his way to St Pancras and was the only passenger on the entire train up to Derby.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

My mate Kev flew over from Spain a few weeks ago (he's recording the new Witch Cross and Steve Bonham albums). He arrived at Heathrow, made his way to St Pancras and was the only passenger on the entire train up to Derby.

Spain to Heathrow 19.99 return.

Heathrow to Derby 299 one way.

2 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

My place is pretty much allowing staff to work as much as they like from home or office. Some people have already moved out of South East and a few new recruits are in different parts of the UK.

Most people are up for the 2-3 days a week hybrid. I'm not sure how it's going to work in practise though...people will come in different days, so the office will be fairly empty most of the time. This will make the good parts of going into an office less good. 

I'm thinking/hoping there will be at least one day a week when most people go in.

I understand that for some people, being able to always work from home is ideal. I also wonder if a year of everyone working from home has, for some, given a false impression of what working from home permanantly is really like, especially for younger people.

People makes friends for life at work, even become long term partners too. Never meeting all these people is quite a change to a lifetime.

Edited by ariotofmyown

11 hours ago, Eddie said:
  • 2 parts Tequila Rose
  • 2 parts Kahlua
  • 1 part Vodka
  • 0.5 part Half cream

Pincushion

DRINK TYPE: COCKTAIL

INGREDIENTS

1 oz. Seagram's 7 Crown

1 1/2 oz. Peach Schnapps

1 1/2 oz. Jim Beam Bourbon Whiskey

1 1/2 oz. Southern Comfort

1 1/2 oz. Amaretto

1 1/2 oz. Wildberry Schnapps

1 1/2 oz. Bacardi 151 Proof Rum

Cranberry Juice

Pineapple Juice

9 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

Its not an option for factory production workers. We can't work from home, we have to be there to actually manufacture and pack the product. We have to wear masks all day and its absolutely dreadful, people have blotchy skin and breathing difficulties, its stressful, its impossible to social distance, yet we've had very few cases of Covid. 

Now we are testing regularly and we've only had a dozen positives, none of which had symptoms and are all ok and back at work.

18 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Its not an option for factory production workers. We can't work from home, we have to be there to actually manufacture and pack the product. We have to wear masks all day and its absolutely dreadful, people have blotchy skin and breathing difficulties, its stressful, its impossible to social distance, yet we've had very few cases of Covid. 

Now we are testing regularly and we've only had a dozen positives, none of which had symptoms and are all ok and back at work.

What sort of temperatures do you work in? There seemed to be a lot of reports of outbreaks in meat places, where I assume it's cold. You makes biscuits right, so guess it's a more normal temperature, maybe warmer?

Just now, ariotofmyown said:

What sort of temperatures do you work in? There seemed to be a lot of reports of outbreaks in meat places, where I assume it's cold. You makes biscuits right, so guess it's a more normal temperature, maybe warmer?

Yes mate, we work in ambient temperatures mostly. A few work in chilled areas but not many and not permanently like in the meat factories.

16 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Yes mate, we work in ambient temperatures mostly. A few work in chilled areas but not many and not permanently like in the meat factories.

You'd think by now there would be more information about where Covid was mostly to be spread and by what actions.  We've seen that lots of people caught it in hospitals, but we only have this one data point as it was a place where people were been regularly tested.

It seems like there could multiple strains going around and if a school/home/workplace got hit by a bad one, then it was bad. But if you avoided these worser strains, it barely registered. 

8 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

My place is pretty much allowing staff to work as much as they like from home or office. Some people have already moved out of South East and a few new recruits are in different parts of the UK.

Most people are up for the 2-3 days a week hybrid. I'm not sure how it's going to work in practise though...people will come in different days, so the office will be fairly empty most of the time. This will make the good parts of going into an office less good. 

I'm thinking/hoping there will be at least one day a week when most people go in.

I understand that for some people, being able to always work from home is ideal. I also wonder if a year of everyone working from home has, for some, given a false impression of what working from home permanantly is really like, especially for younger people.

People makes friends for life at work, even become long term partners too. Never meeting all these people is quite a change to a lifetime.

I think you are spot on but only scratch the surface of the long term damage that’s ahead for us and our children as human beings if we don’t put a premium on getting back to normal , most who are happy with the changes now have already built they’re lives and relationships, it’s already a much harder world for youngsters to meet people/ partners and build lives and proper social skills than it was for us , we are quickly moving to a world where we not only have very little contact / interaction with other humans ,we are actually scared of being around others and I think we really don’t realise the long term damage to health and mental health we are heading for

8 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

You'd think by now there would be more information about where Covid was mostly to be spread and by what actions.  We've seen that lots of people caught it in hospitals, but we only have this one data point as it was a place where people were been regularly tested.

It seems like there could multiple strains going around and if a school/home/workplace got hit by a bad one, then it was bad. But if you avoided these worser strains, it barely registered. 

There was a recent report (in the last month or two) that implied that the six or seven local areas with the highest incidence of Covid19 at that particular time all contained a prison within their locality. The report seemed to suggest that institutional outbreaks heavily skewed the figures. We saw a similar occurrence last Autumn when University students returned to campus.