The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

2 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

I would agree and very good point but my example is more about people trying to find reasons for not getting vaccinated yet for other ailments they just happy to go along with whatever recommendations they are given

I'd not be so quick to agree because your point is solid.

There are people who are anti-vaxxers who have drink bleach (at least a couple died), others who were trying to score hydroxychloroquine and  a poo load who have been taking ivermectin.

Trump didn't want the vaccine, but was fine to take an entire regiment of experimental treatments when he got sick.

People don't take nuclear meds when they are fit, they take them when they're frightened and/or very sick.

The people taking drugs like ivermectin are doing so for the exact same reasons.

Having said all that, thousands of people reject chemo for fear of the side effects or because they have just lost hope. Both my in-laws have died from cancer within the last 4 years and both refused chemo.

5 hours ago, Archied said:

Did you feel you needed the camera up your jacksy?

It's offered to every guy who has medical insurance in the US as a preventative measure.

So I'm not sure I felt a need per se, but like with the flu jab I had it.

They found some polyps that they removed, but the one 3 years later was clear, as was the one I had about this time last year just prior to leaving Florida

My father-in-law died of colon cancer just after we got back to England and my wife is convinced he'd not have if he'd been screened. Of course, nobody knows that.

I also had the two shingles vaccinations a couple of years ago that I think last 10 years, I had it because it was kinda there and medically advised.

But not long after I had it my sister caught it and she was really ill for a while.

I had the flu jab pretty much every year I lived in Florida, you could get them at your local pharmacy and some Super Markets would even you you a $5 voucher to get it done. I never go the flu, but weirdly, and this must be just a a coincidence, I have never had a cold since I started having the flu jab.  Previous to then, I'd get them every year but I've not had one now in about 12 years.

I've had proper flu just twice with the last time being Christmas 98 into 99. Easily the sickest I have ever been. I was pretty fit then but I could barely stand up for the best part of two weeks, so having the jab was an easy decision.

I think some people confuse the flu with a cold but it was nothing like even the heaviest cold I'd had, it was utterly debilitating and I can easily imagine it killing elderly people.

Something I always wondered about all the screening they do in the US. How effective is it? Is there data to suggest screening radically reduces colon cancer deaths. You would imagine it does, but I don't know that for a fact.

I pretty much always take medical advice in the same way as I take dental advice, accounting advice and legal advice. If I go to an expert to help me then I'll listen to what he or she says.

8 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

It's offered to every guy who has medical insurance in the US as a preventative measure.

They found some polyps that they removed, but the one 3 years later was clear, as was the one I had about this time last year just prior to leaving Florida

My father-in-law died of colon cancer just after we got back to England and my wife is convinced he'd not have if he'd been screened. Of course, nobody knows that.

I also had the two shingles vaccinations a couple of years ago that I think last 10 years, I had it because it was kinda there and medically advised.

But not long after I had it my sister caught it and she was really ill for a while.

I had the flu jab pretty much every year I lived in Florida, you could get them at your local pharmacy and some Super Markets would even you you a $5 voucher to get it done. I never go the flu, but weirdly, and this must be just a a coincidence, I have never had a cold since I started having the flu jab.  Previous to then, I'd get them every year but I've not had one now in about 12 years.

I've had proper flu just twice with the last time being Christmas 98 into 99. Easily the sickest I have ever been. I was pretty fit then but I could barely stand up for the best part of two weeks, so having the jab was an easy decision.

I think some people confuse the flu with a cold but it was nothing like even the heaviest cold I'd had, it was utterly debilitating and I can easily imagine it killing elderly people.

Something I always wondered about all the screening they do in the US. How effective is it? Is there data to suggest screening radically reduces colon cancer deaths. You would imagine it does, but I don't know that for a fact.

I pretty much always take medical advice in the same way as I take dental advice, accounting advice and legal advice. If I go to an expert to help me then I'll listen to what he or she says.

I’m sure you choose dental , accounting and legal advice from people you trust and then think that advice through with less need to think it through the longer your relationship with the person giving that advice last and trust is built ??‍♂️,

as stated I have been double jabbed for covid ,on the basis of the information at the time I made a close run call to do it , on the basis of how governments attitude to vaccinating children for covid has panned out I won’t be going down the road of constant booster s ,flu jab is something I have never had and won’t be starting now,

ive had some terrible accountants over the years but I now have one that I have used for the last ten years that I trust 100% , that trust is built 

4 hours ago, Archied said:

I’m sure you choose dental , accounting and legal advice from people you trust and then think that advice through with less need to think it through the longer your relationship with the person giving that advice last and trust is built ??‍♂️,

as stated I have been double jabbed for covid ,on the basis of the information at the time I made a close run call to do it , on the basis of how governments attitude to vaccinating children for covid has panned out I won’t be going down the road of constant booster s ,flu jab is something I have never had and won’t be starting now,

ive had some terrible accountants over the years but I now have one that I have used for the last ten years that I trust 100% , that trust is built 

Wow, I have never hired a bad accountant, but then again I ask around and research them.

And you've had more than one. How do you pick yours, out of a hat?

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

Wow, I have never hired a bad accountant, but then again I ask around and research them.

And you've had more than one. How do you pick yours, out of a hat?

Came through recommendation and picked from local listed chartered accountants , which kind of shows that qualified expert has scope from totally useless to excellent ?‍♂️

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Came through recommendation and picked from local listed chartered accountants , which kind of shows that qualified expert has scope from totally useless to excellent ?‍♂️

Wow, it looks like you need to avoid some of your friends, but I'm wondering how many of the people you hired told you accounting doesn't work?

Or that it's your choice whether you keep accounts for your business or not?

Or that if you keep accounts you may grown another arm of your business in 20 years?

You see, there's quite a bit of difference between a crap accountant and one who suggests you charge in groats, barter using goats for your petrol and submit your accounts painted on the inside of a cave. 

?‍♂️

16 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

This.  I've had flu twice in my lifetime, the last time probably 20 years ago now.  Both times I was laid up for nearly 2 weeks, with the first week being bed-ridden, horrible fevers, vomiting if I tried to eat, absolutely zero energy.  I get really peed off if someone alludes to having the flu but "I'll probably be in tomorrow...".  You've got a cold to dozy berk.  I now have the flu jab annually as, being over 50 and knowing how ill I've been with flu, I know how serious it can be.  And for this reason too, I had zero hesitation getting the jabs for COVID 19.

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

Wow, it looks like you need to avoid some of your friends, but I'm wondering how many of the people you hired told you accounting doesn't work?

Or that it's your choice whether you keep accounts for your business or not?

Or that if you keep accounts you may grown another arm of your business in 20 years?

You see, there's quite a bit of difference between a crap accountant and one who suggests you charge in groats, barter using goats for your petrol and submit your accounts painted on the inside of a cave. 

?‍♂️

Not really sure where your going with that unless you’ve read somewhere that I believe having a flu jab will cause the stuff you suggest ?‍♂️

It’s  quite simple really, I’ve never felt the need to have a flu jab, don’t now and find it hilarious that the self appointed are telling us we are putting others lives at risk by not having one and a doctor has to be fought with tooth and nail to get what could be serious health issue checked but can fit me in in seconds to have a flu or COVID jab, second jab or booster jab,

me thinks there’s a money angle

Edited by Archied

38 minutes ago, Archied said:

Not really sure where your going with that unless you’ve read somewhere that I believe having a flu jab will cause the stuff you suggest ?‍♂️

It’s  quite simple really, I’ve never felt the need to have a flu jab, don’t now and find it hilarious that the self appointed are telling us we are putting others lives at risk by not having one and a doctor has to be fought with tooth and nail to get what could be serious health issue checked but can fit me in in seconds to have a flu or COVID jab, second jab or booster jab,

me thinks there’s a money angle

There's always a money angle sadly - the pharmaceutical industry is making billions out of COVID that's for sure.  If you believe reports, a number of countries withheld imports of vaccine whilst they waited to produce their own, thus keeping the money in the country, and arguably in the pockets of a select few. Makers and sellers of face masks, and hand sanitizer have also massively benefited. 

But where flu is concerned, having had it, I wouldn't want it again, or wish it on anyone - I was as fit as I had ever been the 2nd time I got flu and honestly thought I was dying.  But I get how you would feel you don't need to have the flu vaccine, especially if you've not had it. To be honest I didn't until after I'd had it the 2nd time after which I started having the vaccine.  Touch wood, I've not had it again in 20 years, and only a small handful of what I would call really bad colds. I go most years with nothing more than the odd sniffle.

Flu kills circa 30,000 people in the UK each year.  COVID has killed, or contributed to over 5 times that in the UK. Similarly, in the US flu kills circa 39,000 a year, but so far COVID has killed near as 1 million Americans.  You also have the issue of long COVID (a personal friend has this and still isn't back to normal having had COVID back in April '20). 

When you add COVID and Flu together, then you have 2 pretty awful diseases, both of which are easily transmitted.  Flu can remain undetected for a day or two before symptoms appear. COVID can be undetected for several days before symptoms appear, or not at all if you're asymptomatic. Without vaccines, if you add the risks of flu and COVID together, you have a high risk for a huge loss of life.  

1 hour ago, BucksRam said:

There's always a money angle sadly - the pharmaceutical industry is making billions out of COVID that's for sure.  If you believe reports, a number of countries withheld imports of vaccine whilst they waited to produce their own, thus keeping the money in the country, and arguably in the pockets of a select few. Makers and sellers of face masks, and hand sanitizer have also massively benefited. 

But where flu is concerned, having had it, I wouldn't want it again, or wish it on anyone - I was as fit as I had ever been the 2nd time I got flu and honestly thought I was dying.  But I get how you would feel you don't need to have the flu vaccine, especially if you've not had it. To be honest I didn't until after I'd had it the 2nd time after which I started having the vaccine.  Touch wood, I've not had it again in 20 years, and only a small handful of what I would call really bad colds. I go most years with nothing more than the odd sniffle.

Flu kills circa 30,000 people in the UK each year.  COVID has killed, or contributed to over 5 times that in the UK. Similarly, in the US flu kills circa 39,000 a year, but so far COVID has killed near as 1 million Americans.  You also have the issue of long COVID (a personal friend has this and still isn't back to normal having had COVID back in April '20). 

When you add COVID and Flu together, then you have 2 pretty awful diseases, both of which are easily transmitted.  Flu can remain undetected for a day or two before symptoms appear. COVID can be undetected for several days before symptoms appear, or not at all if you're asymptomatic. Without vaccines, if you add the risks of flu and COVID together, you have a high risk for a huge loss of life.  

How many has flu killed since covid ?

you put your view well and refreshingly without the rabied tones often seen on here , as said I’m no conspiracy theorist , anti vaxer , covid denier but I certainly don’t swallow ALL the stuff we have been fed and will navigate a course for life that I feel is right 

for instance where is the nobody is safe until we are all safe line that was trumpeted dearly in the vaccine push ? All gone now in the push to get it into those that don’t need it and boosters into those that don’t need it ??‍♂️

Edited by Archied

43 minutes ago, Archied said:

How many has flu killed since covid ?

you put your view well and refreshingly without the rabied tones often seen on here , as said I’m no conspiracy theorist , anti vaxer , covid denier but I certainly don’t swallow ALL the stuff we have been fed and will navigate a course for life that I feel is right 

for instance where is the nobody is safe until we are all safe line that was trumpeted dearly in the vaccine push ? All gone now in the push to get it into those that don’t need it and boosters into those that don’t need it ??‍♂️

The figures I quoted for flu are largely annual so last year around 30000 people in the UK will have died from flu.  Circa 150,000 from covid. 

I get your view of navigating how you feel best suits you.  Unless we have to do something by law, it's a choice.  Having been really ill with flu (twice) that set a precedent for me.  I had covid in Jan 20, felt rough and coughed continuously for a week, but no lasting effects. My wife caught it off me, she ended up on the floor struggling to breath, then in hospital on oxygen. Again fortunately she was OK. At least 3 others around here I knew weren't so lucky. Getting vaccinated against flu and covid best suits us. 

I get your comments on some of the headline advice too.  At the time this pandemic was unheard of in the modern era, and I think everyone, especially governments were reacting with what they thought best, based on rapidly changing data.  Did they get it all right. No.  Absolutely not. The media sensationalised stuff too which didn't help. But overall I knew from experience what a coronavirus, whether flu or covid, could do.