The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

10 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

No one was vaccinated this time last year but there are more cases now? I don't wish to argue with anyone and I know no one will ever change their mind once made, but I'm struggling to see whats going on here?

I think its simply that more people are being tested than a year ago so more asymptomatic people are being identified. The key to me, that is never properly explained, is whether the percentage of positive tests is going up or down. Presumable that's the R number basis.

I'm in this weeks stats 3 times for negative tests (Care home entry) and that is after never having been tested at all before.

16 minutes ago, Archied said:

still don’t personally know a single person who has died or been seriously ill , given the whole world has been decimated that’s rather strange 

Think yourself lucky. For months I knew of nobody with it. Since Christmas 3 acquaintances have passed away, 2 been seriously ill and several others poorly.

Currently abroad in Spain. 

Masks still very commonplace here inside and outside in crowded areas although everything is open as normal.

Interestingly they use the more effective FFP2 mask here more than the surgical or cloth masks. 

Bit weird having to go to a full on hospital to get a covid test before coming back.. Can't seem to get tested in pharmacies or anything here. 

18 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Currently abroad in Spain. 

Masks still very commonplace here inside and outside in crowded areas although everything is open as normal.

Interestingly they use the more effective FFP2 mask here more than the surgical or cloth masks. 

Bit weird having to go to a full on hospital to get a covid test before coming back.. Can't seem to get tested in pharmacies or anything here. 

Have you checked the place you're in on Tripadvisor forums, there's always threads on there with people asking where they can get tested on their travels?

47 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Have you checked the place you're in on Tripadvisor forums, there's always threads on there with people asking where they can get tested on their travels?

Yeaa unfortunately it seems like most people get tested at the airport just before departure but because our flight is relatively early seems like more of a hassle. 

The other options all seemed a bit more complicated or a bit more unclear. This option seemed to be OK because it was a hospital next to a metro station just outside of town.. Probably should have just done those ones you take with you.. 

Seems a bit ridiculous to me these predeparture tests because you can get on an internal flight or train without any sort of test anyway. 

Just now, alexxxxx said:

Yeaa unfortunately it seems like most people get tested at the airport just before departure but because our flight is relatively early seems like more of a hassle. 

The other options all seemed a bit more complicated or a bit more unclear. This option seemed to be OK because it was a hospital next to a metro station just outside of town.. Probably should have just done those ones you take with you.. 

Seems a bit ridiculous to me these predeparture tests because you can get on an internal flight or train without any sort of test anyway. 

Yeah it's pointless trying to make sense of a test you can take up to 3 days before you return, that anyone could have taken for you in the case of some of the LFTs that you take with you...

3 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Really? I've lost count of the number of people I know who have had it and been very poorly and know 3 people who have died.

That might be why some of your comments get taken quite badly by people and seen as insensitive?

Really ? Thought we had separated personal loss from the wider data stats and policies based on them ?‍♂️,

have you not seen the posts verging on glee at non vaccinated people passing away or being seriously ill?

not a word there from anyone

Edited by Archied

3 hours ago, Archied said:

still don’t personally know a single person who has died or been seriously ill , given the whole world has been decimated that’s rather strange 

10 minutes ago, Archied said:

have you not seen the posts verging on glee at non vaccinated people passing away or being seriously ill?

Appalling posts.

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

Appalling posts.

Appalling double standards ,, not a single word posted by anyone when really appalling posts re unvaccinated dying and raising the gene pool are posted but when I say my experience of the virus and the official stats in my view do not warrant the policies imposed or match the deaths those policies will create never mind the suffering, it’s appalling ?‍♂️,

22 minutes ago, Archied said:

when I say my experience of the virus and the official stats in my view do not warrant the policies imposed or match the deaths those policies will create never mind the suffering, it’s appalling ?‍♂️

Fundamentally though - 134,000 people have died from covid in the UK so far. That's 4 x the capacity of Pride Park wiped out

If you'd been in charge and done all the things that you believed in and talked about here, do you think that death toll would have been higher or lower? 

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

Fundamentally though - 134,000 people have died from covid in the UK so far. That's 4 x the capacity of Pride Park wiped out

If you'd been in charge and done all the things that you believed in and talked about here, do you think that death toll would have been higher or lower? 

1, I don’t accept that figure as the stated criteria is death from any cause within 28 days of a positive test

2, the total balls up of putting untested old people from hospital back to care homes and lack of medical care once there with the wild fire spreading effect that MUST have caused added hugely to death toll in my humble opinion,

3 , the untold deaths from other causes that are stored up now for the future and also have already happened have not even been considered by the government let alone balanced against the stated COVID death figure ,

do I think higher or lower ? My guess is pretty similar figure but I believe that figure could have been reduced without the care home fiasco , kids back to school for a day then locked indoors ( same for uni students), Border and flights fiasco , one rule for us one for them fiascos,,

and better targeting and help for the vulnerable, 

of course being old does not mean ok to die but you also have to look at the average age of deaths from COVID being higher than the average age people live to in this country,

that’s not insensitive or uncaring it’s a truer picture of where our focus should have been

we targeted everyone, the healthy and those at next to no risk from COVID , have we learnt anything ?

have we buggery, we want to vaccinate children, give boosters to those not vulnerable , keep vaccine passport s on the back burner even though the vaccinated still catch and spread it,

keep lock downs on the back burner for 98% ( now much less because of vaccines?) no matter how much they destroy and cost at a time when nhs needs finance now and going forward,

at the start we had a virus we knew little about , now we know far more it’s clear this is madness 

Edited by Archied

6 hours ago, Archied said:

Really ? Thought we had separated personal loss from the wider data stats and policies based on them ?‍♂️,

I'm not even sure glee is the right word for what I have read.

I have found a couple of them really sad, like the 30 year old who had a wife, 3 kids and another on the way. Even when he was really sick he refused to get tested because he didn't want to *help* vaccine supporters by being a statistic.

He was an idiot, but I wasn't gleeful he'd died.

I think, for the most part, the wrath has been aimed more at the people who were openly encouraging people to not get vaccinated and then got sick.

If I grow another testicle because I had the vaccine I have no problem with people mocking me or calling me 3ball. 

On the whole I only go into 3 supermarkets. Waitrose, Tesco and Asda, as they are the only ones fairly near to me.

In Waitrose almost everybody seems to wear a mask.

In Tesco it's not quite as high, but 70% I'd guess.

In Asda today it was barely 50% and about 10% of people who looked under the age of 40.

Clearly, that's only 3 supermarkets in one area of the UK so hardly a decent sample size, but it would seem to suggest that the less money you have the less likely you are to wear a mask.

And money often, although by no means always, correlates with standard of education.

Is that all reasonable, or am I being eductaionist or moneyist?

2 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I'm not even sure glee is the right word for what I have read.

I have found a couple of them really sad, like the 30 year old who had a wife, 3 kids and another on the way. Even when he was really sick he refused to get tested because he didn't want to *help* vaccine supporters by being a statistic.

He was an idiot, but I wasn't gleeful he'd died.

I think, for the most part, the wrath has been aimed more at the people who were openly encouraging people to not get vaccinated and then got sick.

If I grow another testicle because I had the vaccine I have no problem with people mocking me or calling me 3ball. 

Are you honestly telling me you’ve not seen some pretty bad posts on here regards unvaccinated dying ? Are you honestly telling me that there’s been no so called insensitively around using these stories to back up a view ? 
if it’s appalling to talk in general terms one way then a consistent yard stick should be applied and there’s a glaring lack of that 

4 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

On the whole I only go into 3 supermarkets. Waitrose, Tesco and Asda, as they are the only ones fairly near to me.

In Asda today it was barely 50% and about 10% of people who looked under the age of 40.

Clearly, that's only 3 supermarkets in one area of the UK so hardly a decent sample size, but it would seem to suggest that the less money you have the less likely you are to wear a mask.

And money often, although by no means always, correlates with standard of education.

You just may be seeing people in there who did not have the luxury of being scared and staying home but had to go out and earn a living and as such have a different experience of the virus and having to live with it , 

maybe you are being educationalist ,moneyist , who knows ? All I can tell you is I know plenty of both sides of that with very different views on covid so not really seeing that  distinction in people in the main??‍♂️

21 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Could start a whole new debate here!

Maybe the wealthiest have more leisure time to watch and take in all the news media on a daily basis while those a bit less well off are working shifts/long hours in stressful conditions and busy trying to manage their lives as best they can, looking after grandchildren or elderly relatives inbetween scraping a living.

If your'e not watching the news every night or reading a daily paper, it just doesn't seem so scary I guess.

47 minutes ago, Archied said:

Are you honestly telling me you’ve not seen some pretty bad posts on here regards unvaccinated dying ? Are you honestly telling me that there’s been no so called insensitively around using these stories to back up a view ? 
if it’s appalling to talk in general terms one way then a consistent yard stick should be applied and there’s a glaring lack of that 

I dive in and out of here and can go a week without reading this thread and I don't start scrolling back, but I don't remember seeing something that was gleeful.

I think calling such a person idiotic or even that they brought it on themselves doesn't mean you're happy they died.

Insensitive? Yeh maybe, but that's not what you said and what I responded to.

26 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Could start a whole new debate here!

Maybe the wealthiest have more leisure time to watch and take in all the news media on a daily basis while those a bit less well off are working shifts/long hours in stressful conditions and busy trying to manage their lives as best they can, looking after grandchildren or elderly relatives inbetween scraping a living.

If your'e not watching the news every night or reading a daily paper, it just doesn't seem so scary I guess.

Do be silly, the wealthy all all plotted up the the poxy M25 stopping people working. No time for TV. J14 on Monday was a mess. Tossers..

44 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I dive in and out of here and can go a week without reading this thread and I don't start scrolling back, but I don't remember seeing something that was gleeful.

I think calling such a person idiotic or even that they brought it on themselves doesn't mean you're happy they died.

Insensitive? Yeh maybe, but that's not what you said and what I responded to.

Fair enough you may have missed posts that have gone unchallenged and deemed acceptable