The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Ok so nobody working for Miami dade who is vaccinated has died , then leave the unvaccinated to make their choice they clearly are no threat to the vaccinated who are as you clearly use in your argument well protected , kind of does your idea of non vaccinated not being allowed to work with children who are at no threat from covid 

That's some high quality conclusion jumping there.

There are gradients between death and being well.

Vaccinated people have got sick and had a miserable time without actually dying. 

And as has been said numerous times the vaccines aren't 100% effective so people will still die. 

Call me an old softie, but no matter what I think of their decision making when it comes to not getting the jab, I still don't want kids taking it from one unvaccinated person at school to another at home.

Apart from the fact I don't want people getting needlessly sick, the more it gets transmitted the more opportunity it has to mutate.

And further mutations may be able to bypass the current vaccines and drag the whole thing on ad infinitum.

Also, it's not correct to say kids are at no risk, a handful have died and some have had other issues. The risk is probably no greater than taking the vaccine, but I accept that the vaccine like any drug carries a certain level of risk.

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Absolutely - we're either all in it together or we're not. No qualms about paying an NI increase ring-fenced for NHS/Social Care if there was any evidence that the people (and their donors) making these decisions on our behalf weren't actively avoiding it

We can all accept that more taxation is needed to fund these public services, but imagine if there was a referendum tomorrow

Two options on the ballot

1. The NI increase as planned
or
2. The NI increase as planned PLUS a % windfall tax on anyone who has seen their personal wealth increase between March 2020 and July 2021 as a direct result of the pandemic

I think it might be a just a bit more a landslide than the last referendum we had

Count me in for number 2.

28 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

That's some high quality conclusion jumping there.

There are gradients between death and being well.

Vaccinated people have got sick and had a miserable time without actually dying. 

And as has been said numerous times the vaccines aren't 100% effective so people will still die. 

Call me an old softie, but no matter what I think of their decision making when it comes to not getting the jab, I still don't want kids taking it from one unvaccinated person at school to another at home.

Apart from the fact I don't want people getting needlessly sick, the more it gets transmitted the more opportunity it has to mutate.

And further mutations may be able to bypass the current vaccines and drag the whole thing on ad infinitum.

Also, it's not correct to say kids are at no risk, a handful have died and some have had other issues. The risk is probably no greater than taking the vaccine, but I accept that the vaccine like any drug carries a certain level of risk.

I take it you think children should be vaccinated then?

27 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Dunno, I don't have a strong opinion. I can see both sides.

I certainly don't think it should be mandated, it should be a parents choice after they have been informed of the risks.

Here's hoping they get informed of the risks.  Meanwhile, from the BBC...

12 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

It's frustrating when you take the time to lay out facts and they get deleted but the comment that prompted me to do so gets left there as the last word.

Anyway, on another note, 13 people who worked for the Miami-Dade School District have died from Covid in the last 3 or 4 weeks. None were vaccinated.

Unless you're a full on anti-vaxxer I think we can all agree that unvaccinated people should not be working with kids.

Didnt see the the post that you had removed but can imagine if is frustrating when political posts with no relevance to Covid are allowed to stay put...

12 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

The future of Social Care all sorted out after one day in Parliament. Impressive stuff.  Why did we waste so much time saying something needed to be done, when it was just so easy to fix?  Praise be for these times, when there is no need for scrutiny, or details or planning. 

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

Here's hoping they get informed of the risks.  Meanwhile, from the BBC...

JCVI can only look at the individual health risks to 12-15 year olds when comparing the relative risks of vaccination v COVID-19 - it is not within their remit to consider societal impact at this stage.

Anyway, it seems that a lot of people are now relatively content that the COVID-19 death toll is now running at around 750- 1,000 per week. After all, that's only the figures we see in a bad 'flu epidemic.

Just one problem with that - we don't normally see bad 'flu epidemics in August/September.

Edited by Eddie

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

JCVI can only look at the individual health risks to 12-15 year olds when comparing the relative risks of vaccination v COVID-19 - it is not within their remit to consider societal impact at this stage.

1 minute ago, Rev said:

I tend to ignore anyone who puts a flag of any colour on their masthead.

I realise masthead probably isn't the right term, but I'm unsure what is correct on Twitter.

I just saw the video on twitter, what the JCVI say or whether the person tweeting has a flag in their bio or not, I don't really care - the point I was making was the overt BBC bias in their video.  

Regardless of anything else, how can kids possibly make up their own minds when they are being pressured by the BBC with scaremongering, heavily biased videos designed to drive a wedge in the family and by their teachers as school;

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/jun/04/school-leaders-say-pupils-should-vaccinated-as-matter-of-priority

As I said earlier, here's hoping kids get to make an informed choice.

4 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I just saw the video on twitter, what the JCVI say or whether the person tweeting has a flag in their bio or not, I don't really care - the point I was making was the overt BBC bias in their video.  

Regardless of anything else, how can kids possibly make up their own minds when they are being pressured by the BBC with scaremongering, heavily biased videos designed to drive a wedge in the family and by their teachers as school;

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/jun/04/school-leaders-say-pupils-should-vaccinated-as-matter-of-priority

As I said earlier, here's hoping kids get to make an informed choice.

I can't really comment on the video (I very rarely view them because I'm deaf, preferring to go directly to the narrative rather than just dive in to a sound bite) and won't comment on what somebody has posted on Twitter, ranting about said video.

I cannot see that school leaders should have anything to offer with respect to vaccination policy. I can only assume that they are looking at societal, as opposed to individual, implications, but once again, that is not their remit. Such considerations could be within the remit of virologists and epidemiologists, but as JCVI themselves stated, there is insufficient data to be able to draw long-term conclusions.

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I can't really comment on the video (I very rarely view them because I'm deaf, preferring to go directly to the narrative rather than just dive in to a sound bite) and won't comment on what somebody has posted on Twitter, ranting about said video.

Its just the actual video from the BBC with subtitles - no commentary.

EDIT:  I originally saw it a few days ago and searched for it on twitter earlier to post on here - just posted the first tweet I saw that had it.  I realise that was a mistake now and should have spent the extra time searching the BBC timelines.  Same video direct from BBC;

Edited by maxjam

29 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I wonder if the BBC will include this new  information in an updated version of their propaganda video...

Source (not a paywall site please)? All I can see is the tagline and I've just scoured Johns Hopkins, Nature and a couple of other places - cannot find details of the study or peer review details. If you have access to the article, can you post details of the study it refers to, please?

Incidentally, why would something so fundamentally important and groundbreaking be reported on by the education editor and not by the science editor? I suspect cherry-picking to suit vested interests.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Source (not a paywall site please)? All I can see is the tagline and I've just scoured Johns Hopkins, Nature and a couple of other places - cannot find details of the study or peer review details. If you have access to the article, can you post details of the study it refers to, please?

Incidentally, why would something so fundamentally important and groundbreaking be reported on by the education editor and not by the science editor? I suspect cherry-picking to suit vested interests.

A team led by Dr Tracy Hoeg at the University of California investigated the rate of cardiac myocarditis - heart inflammation – and chest pain in children aged 12-17 following their second dose of the vaccine.

They then compared this with the likelihood of children needing hospital treatment owing to Covid-19, at times of low, moderate and high rates of hospitalisation.

Researchers found that the risk of heart complications for boys aged 12-15 following the vaccine was 162.2 per million, which was the highest out of all the groups they looked at.

Evidence from studies show it is unlikely for boys to suffer either heart problems from the vaccine or be hospitalised by Covid.

The second highest rate was among boys aged 16-17 (94.0 per million) followed by girls aged 16-17 (13.4 per million) and girls aged 12-15 (13.0 per million).

Meanwhile, the risk of a healthy boy needing hospital treatment owing to Covid-19 in the next 120 days is 26.7 per million. This means the risk they face from heart complications is 6.1 times higher than that of hospitalisation.

Edited by maxjam

This article is a preprint and has not been certified by peer review  It reports new medical research that has yet to be evaluated and so should not be used to guide clinical practice.

Yes, it warrants further research, and I assume that will follow.

That's how science should work - yet you are advocating a change in approach because "No smoke without fire".

10 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Didnt see the the post that you had removed but can imagine if is frustrating when political posts with no relevance to Covid are allowed to stay put...

The post explained that there are 115 million registered voters in the US so that is how they know pretty accurately that the people who are dying from COVID are overwhelmingly Republican voters.

We all want an end to this pandemic and the quickest way to that In my opinion and that of most experts) is via the vaccine. Sadly, that has become highly politicised so it's difficult to separate the two and have a meaningful debate. 

5 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

The post explained that there are 115 million registered voters in the US so that is how they know pretty accurately that the people who are dying from COVID are overwhelmingly Republican voters.

We all want an end to this pandemic and the quickest way to that In my opinion and that of most experts) is via the vaccine. Sadly, that has become highly politicised so it's difficult to separate the two and have a meaningful debate. 

I dont see the problem with discussing politicians response to Covid, as the 2 are obviously very heavily linked.

On to your point, there are circa 258 million adults in the US, so that is 45% of adults registered to vote. 

Is the demographic of registered voters published anywhere?

21 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Don't think it did, did it. You naughty boy..