The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

Latest Tweet from Sky News is actually quite informative.

I can't help but feel that feel the person writing the article, the following paragraph in particular, has bumped his head and had a revelation...  Although his is using the data to reinforce the importance of getting jabbed, so thats allowed.

From the beginning of this pandemic it's been very easy to take figures out of context - whether to alarm people or to delude them. This is another one of those instances where context is phenomenally important.

Gutless government. 

If you want everyone to be vaccinated, and to carry proof of that on their person, crack on and bring a bill saying so before parliament, where it can be debated and feedback from the electorate taken into account, before a binding vote takes place.

Don't try and bring about the same result by the backdoor, by isolating individual bits of the economy and making it impossible for them to operate without such measures, while denying parliament a vote.

7 hours ago, Rev said:

Gutless government. 

If you want everyone to be vaccinated, and to carry proof of that on their person, crack on and bring a bill saying so before parliament, where it can be debated and feedback from the electorate taken into account, before a binding vote takes place.

Don't try and bring about the same result by the backdoor, by isolating individual bits of the economy and making it impossible for them to operate without such measures, while denying parliament a vote.

Nail on the head! ?

Lockdown in Sydney extended by another month and predicted that it may last until September.

Sounds to me like life isn't back to normal there and won't be for quite some time.

As many predicted, these 'short sharp lockdowns' were only ever going to kick the can down the road and a Covid zero policy would never work if we want life to return to normal.

Looks like they still have a major problem with their vaccine rollout as only 16% of the adult population are vaccinated.

Their 'gold standard' approach to covid is starting to backfire.   Repeated lockdown, economic hardship and increasingly angry citizens.

Unfortunately 'What Australia has learned is that a zero-Covid strategy doesn’t work unless the whole world takes part.'

Where is it going to end for them?  Some states have previously shut down for 0 infections!  The current lockdown is for approx 100 infections and 1 death (84yo).  Even if they jabbed every single citizen tomorrow, as we have found out, it doesn't prevent transmission of covid and it won't prevent 100% of deaths.

At some point they are going to have to think, 'sorry, we've done all we can...'

8 hours ago, Rev said:

Gutless government. 

Its disgusting psychological warfare imo.

Release statements timed just before they all disappear off on holiday knowing full well there can be no debate for 6 weeks or however long it is until they get back. 

Scare people, mostly young people, into getting jabbed through fear of missing out on life, education, etc all whilst (hopefully) knowing full well it will never pass through Parliament.  

We're in some kind of cruel and abusive relationship atm.

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

Their 'gold standard' approach to covid is starting to backfire.   Repeated lockdown, economic hardship and increasingly angry citizens.

Unfortunately 'What Australia has learned is that a zero-Covid strategy doesn’t work unless the whole world takes part.'

Where is it going to end for them?  Some states have previously shut down for 0 infections!  The current lockdown is for approx 100 infections and 1 death (84yo).  Even if they jabbed every single citizen tomorrow, as we have found out, it doesn't prevent transmission of covid and it won't prevent 100% of deaths.

At some point they are going to have to think, 'sorry, we've done all we can...'

Aus and NZ are screwed for 10 years with this policy making.

When they do finally release the shackles, there will be Covid in their country, so thats another 18 months they will have to push through.

No-one wants the vaccines there either. 

Literally, whilst other sectors may do OK in their economdy, their tourism is done for. It's sad really, I'd have love to have visited NZ/Australia in the next 10 years.

6 minutes ago, rammieib said:

When they do finally release the shackles, there will be Covid in their country, so thats another 18 months they will have to push through.

Literally, whilst other sectors may do OK in their economdy, their tourism is done for. It's sad really, I'd have love to have visited NZ/Australia in the next 10 years.

NZ not to my personal knowledge but you may be able to find some refusniks.  700k now fully vaccinated and the roll out continues.  They provided their first batch of vaccines to islanders in the Pacific first.  The plan was to avoid deaths caused by an excess of demand on the health service and then roll out the vaccine in an orderly manner (after watching Europe).  They don't seemed scarred of infections just hospitalisations.  Likely that they will open up in their summer and as it stands it has been a success.  I hope so because I haven't seen my daughter since Feb last year and probably expect that it will be 2 years before we can see her again.  Not sure what the f is happening in Aus but NZ is fine according to my daughter.  Internal tourism has grown to fill some of the gap and all the fantastic places to visit are still there.  There has been greater problems with food supplies owing to the sudden loss of students to pick crops etc.  Nothing is perfect but so far......

38 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Just wait until Australians realise that in 2019, the year before Covid struck, they had over 300,000 flu infections and 400 deaths.

https://www.guild.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0025/84229/Influenza-Report-30-October-2019.pdf

They seemingly don't want anyone to die from covid, why are 400 flu deaths acceptable?  

#foreverlockdown

4 hours ago, rammieib said:

Seems the sensible thing would be to push vaccine to the vulnerable ,bump up the health service and get back to normal life ,,

from what we see around the world this countries policy should be simply vaccinate those who want it , only test those with symptoms and get on with life , would have also said start investing in the NHS but that doesn’t appear to be on any government ministers to do list??‍♂️

Edited by Archied

19 hours ago, Rev said:

Gutless government. 

Fully agree if there's a requirement to have a vaccination passport it should apply to the entire population. Will this government put a bill before Parliament to make it a law to carry a vaccine passport. Of course they won't, this is a government that's lead by a buffoon and they don't want to antagonize their voters.

42 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Fully agree if there's a requirement to have a vaccination passport it should apply to the entire population. Will this government put a bill before Parliament to make it a law to carry a vaccine passport. Of course they won't, this is a government that's lead by a buffoon and they don't want to antagonize their voters.

They have done nothing other than antagonize their voters for at least the last year.

The only people Ive really seen defending their decisions are the people that supposedly detest them.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

They have done nothing other than antagonize their voters for at least the last year.

The only people Ive really seen defending their decisions are the people that supposedly detest them.

As has been said millions of times before, it's possible to detest someone but still agree with some of their decisions, especially when those decisions are backed by scientists.

You obviously don't detest Johnson, but do detest his lockdown decisions. But you can still support all those other things he has done though, like...erm...well...can anyone think of anything that hasn't been shambolic?

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

In fairness (something which some seem utterly incapable of), they have made one or two correct decisions - but only after they have tried to make all the wrong ones work first.

8 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

As has been said millions of times before, it's possible to detest someone but still agree with some of their decisions, especially when those decisions are backed by scientists.

You obviously don't detest Johnson, but do detest his lockdown decisions. But you can still support all those other things he has done though, like...erm...well...can anyone think of anything that hasn't been shambolic?

Backed by scientists? All of them? Or just the ones that are given airtime to spread fear among the population?

I don't like BJ as a person. I voted him into power for one reason. Something which, thankfully, he delivered on.

In terms of lockdown decisions, I didn't detest the first one but the second and third ones I most definitely did not agree with.

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

I would love to see Jacob Rees-Mogg and Michael Gove being chased up and down the chamber by Angela Rayner and Jess Phillips..

Me too. I imagine they would both wet themselves with giggles and need a warm milk to calm them down. Gove and Mogg that is.

15 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Backed by scientists? All of them? Or just the ones that are given airtime to spread fear among the population?

I don't like BJ as a person. I voted him into power for one reason. Something which, thankfully, he delivered on.

In terms of lockdown decisions, I didn't detest the first one but the second and third ones I most definitely did not agree with.

Do Labour have any backbone? I’m not sure they do.

Would be a travesty if this ever sees the light of day.

Saw this image earlier on Twitter.

492DC2D0-C7EC-4E86-8946-E361A29E4E6B.jpeg

I hope anyone who had a summer holiday to France ruined/cancelled realises it was all for nothing.

You should have chosen a nice holiday to Reunion Island instead. That is on the Amber list, even though the prevalent beta variant there was why France was moved to Amber plus.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/29/ministers-under-fire-putting-france-england-amber-plus-list