The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

4 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

The only motive is money. Vaccines are a magic money tree where as treatments like ivermectin cannot now be patented.

It is a logical conclusion.  There may be other motives. I'm open to suggestions. We need to press our governments to explain why, if we are 'following the science' why some science is valued over others. That is usually the job of the media.

First day back at work after isolating. Masks are now required everywhere except your machine, never had to wear them before.

Mask, safety goggles and a temperature of 38c in an old glass roofed Victorian mill with no opening windows was not nice.

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

Can't find it now, but saw a chart earlier that mapped the current wave against wave 1 and wave 2, and they were pretty similar in terms of week by week growth rate. The point of the chart was that the hospitalisations and death rates were rising much much slower this time

So it was good news in terms of that, but it did get me thinking why is the growth rate not more aggressive in this wave - given that we're told the delta variant is so much more transmissible?

Genuine question - i may just have misread the figures

Because if you are vaccinated it reduces your chance of catching it by 60%. Additionally, if you catch it anyway and you are vaccinated, it also reduces your chance of passing it on to others by about the same amount.

A nice double whammy.

This is why the Kent variant (Aloha variant) has been virtually wiped out. It is less transmissible and that 60% impact has reduced it's transmissibilty So that it can't effectively reproduce.

Not all good news though because the Astra Zeneca vaccine is only 10% effective against the Beta variant.

This is the variant circulating in parts of France at the moment and why the government are being so careful about travellers arriving back from France at the moment.

Edited by therealhantsram

4 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Not all good news though because the Astra Zeneca vaccine is only 10% effective against the Beta variant.

This is the variant circulating in parts of France at the moment and why the government are being so careful about travellers arriving back from France at the moment.

Can’t wait for the zeta variant, she was a very good looking lady in darling buds of may ??‍♂️

Edited by Archied

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I would be interested in being able to determine just how many people have deleted the app in recent days, and establishing whether there is a relationship between that and the apparent 'flattening of the curve' we have witnessed over the same period of time.

Possible but unlikely IMO. The app doesn’t tell you to get a PCR test and it’s those which determine the case numbers. 

It could however be that there are a huge number of asymptomatic cases amongst the vaccinated especially, which don’t get identified and recorded. 

24 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Is it poss this whole vaccine passport thing could be a decoy to bring in testing that the public will have to pay for themselves regularly if they want to live normal lives ,Coupled with the coerced vaccination of the young before September?

another captive economy? 

4 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Will it matter? With Labour claiming the relaxation was reckless, can they vote against it without looking like they are opposing for the sake of it? 
I don’t know. 

TBH I don't care who votes for what and for what reason, I just hope is doesn't pass!

3 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Because if you are vaccinated it reduces your chance of catching it by 60%. Additionally, if you catch it anyway and you are vaccinated, it also reduces your chance of passing it on to others by about the same amount.

A nice double whammy.

This is why the Kent variant (Aloha variant) has been virtually wiped out. It is less transmissible and that 60% impact has reduced it's transmissibilty So that it can't effectively reproduce.

Is that statement a little misleading? According to the following (from the Independent I think), it was only a small study and whilst it may only be 10% effective against mild and moderate illness, scientists expect the AZ jab to protect against serious illness.

data from a small study earlier this year showed the AstraZeneca vaccine is only about 10% effective at protecting against mild and moderate illness induced by Beta, although scientists still expect the jab will protect against serious disease.

Edited by Tamworthram

4 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

The only motive is money. Vaccines are a magic money tree where as treatments like ivermectin cannot now be patented.

Looks like criticism was around the robustness of the research, as the sample size was small. 

AD for following the money, there's mud on all sides if you look for it. 

From Wikipedia: However, in February 2021, The Guardian reported that during the Covid-19 pandemic Exley had received over £150,000 to support his research through Keele University's donations portal.

1 minute ago, GboroRam said:

Looks like criticism was around the robustness of the research, as the sample size was small. 

AD for following the money, there's mud on all sides if you look for it. 

From Wikipedia: However, in February 2021, The Guardian reported that during the Covid-19 pandemic Exley had received over £150,000 to support his research through Keele University's donations portal.

Maybe somethings changed then, last time I looked into this was way before Covid.

27 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Is that statement a little misleading? According to the following (from the Independent I think), it was only a small study and whilst it may only be 10% effective against mild and moderate illness, scientists expect the AZ jab to protect against serious illness.

data from a small study earlier this year showed the AstraZeneca vaccine is only about 10% effective at protecting against mild and moderate illness induced by Beta, although scientists still expect the jab will protect against serious disease.

Yes I think you are right, but that study does seem to be accepted.

In June there were reports of Matt Hancock negotiating with AZ for an updated version of the vaccine to target Beta variant, with hope of a booster shot in the Autumn.

Earlier this month UCHL announced they were to run trials with an updated AZ vaccine.

Why we aren't just planning to give booster shots of Pfizer I don't know!

7 hours ago, David said:

Got a bad back so laid up. It’s less depressing in here for once than the main board. Plus it’s nice to see the same old faces disagreeing from the old politics threads ?

I was thinking the same thing the other day. Was reading the main board for a bit and thought it's much more fun on the Covid board!

I think the Covid debate has been much more civil than the old days too. Most of the debate has been of a more statistical nature rather than purely opinions.

I reckon I may have a lot in common politically with the likes of @TexasRam and @Archied, but on the interpretation of numbers, we couldn't be further apart.

I'm praying @TexasRam is finally right this time and things will be all good soon.

7 minutes ago, David said:

Probably shouldn’t post this. But tonight I’ve had to deal with my cousin posting on Facebook wanting to take his own life with long Covid.

100 miles away, having to phone the police, get them round is not how I planned my night.

Scary how it’s messing good people. Take it seriously please.

0F6D758E-658C-4B62-AFAA-3B34B3A4A5AB.png

ducking he’ll mate ?

13 minutes ago, David said:

Probably shouldn’t post this. But tonight I’ve had to deal with my cousin posting on Facebook wanting to take his own life with long Covid.

100 miles away, having to phone the police, get them round is not how I planned my night.

Scary how it’s messing good people. Take it seriously please.

0F6D758E-658C-4B62-AFAA-3B34B3A4A5AB.png

Good work, hope things you got things sorted now. 

6 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

ducking he’ll mate ?

Crap isn’t it, I know he’s been struggling, but never expected to see that tonight. Not like he’s down the road either so having to get Police round and that. Waiting up now for a call back from their welfare team

8 hours ago, David said:

Crap isn’t it, I know he’s been struggling, but never expected to see that tonight. Not like he’s down the road either so having to get Police round and that. Waiting up now for a call back from their welfare team

So so sorry to hear that Dave. I hope he's safe.  Probably not the time so I hope it doesn't seem insensitive but there are reports of Ivermectin treating long covid successfully. Your cousin needs some hope. This is why I'm concerned, covid is a serious public health issue, but treatment is not being emphasised which is really odd and a seriously problem. Take care, all the very best.