The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

3 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

What makes you think that this is some thin end of the wedge that will erode all your freedoms?

It just seems like some weak attempt to get younger people to get vaccinated now, which will be dropped as soon as cases numbers are back to tiny levels again.

They clearer came up with this yesterday to counter all the criticisms. It is not part of some grand plan to slowly remove all our freedoms.

I'm actually in the process of writing a paper that I delivered at the PSA (political studies association) conference on comparing lockdowns and emergency measures in liberal democracies and authoritarian states such as Hungary. The difference in both how the measures are exercised and limited is vast and puts paid to any belief that it's all simply a grab for power. 

Just now, Leeds Ram said:

I'm actually in the process of writing a paper that I delivered at the PSA (political studies association) conference on comparing lockdowns and emergency measures in liberal democracies and authoritarian states such as Hungary. The difference in both how the measures are exercised and limited is vast and puts paid to any belief that it's all simply a grab for power. 

Will you open your eyes when you are being rounded up and shot?!

Sounds an interesting paper, would be great to share more details if you are allowed?

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Advice from one minister this morning is to use your judgement when getting pinged depending on the risk of who you are seeing.

Number 10 came back with you should definitely isolate if you get pinged.

Good work team.

And yet they've also apparently changed the wording on the app to make it clear that it's advisory.

Does anyone at all know what they're doing in government.

1 minute ago, ariotofmyown said:

Will you open your eyes when you are being rounded up and shot?!

Sounds an interesting paper, would be great to share more details if you are allowed?

Yeah, I am sympathetic to people concerned about government control in certain areas but some of the overreaction and hysteria has been a bit much from some. The idea it's all some sort of grand plan is absolutely laughable.  

https://www.whattodoaboutnow.com/post/have-our-governments-become-too-powerful-corona-and-the-state-of-exception Here is an article that is a short form version of the argument I'm making. I can message you a copy of the full journal article once it's finished if you'd like. 

8 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

And yet they've also apparently changed the wording on the app to make it clear that it's advisory.

Does anyone at all know what they're doing in government.

This is one of my biggest problems, I find it virtually impossible to believe there can be the amount of stupidity, chaos and lack of awareness in people that have risen to the heights of running the country, you have to be looking for the plot because otherwise it’s beyond belief ?‍♂️

6 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Yeah, I am sympathetic to people concerned about government control in certain areas but some of the overreaction and hysteria has been a bit much from some. The idea it's all some sort of grand plan is absolutely laughable.  

https://www.whattodoaboutnow.com/post/have-our-governments-become-too-powerful-corona-and-the-state-of-exception Here is an article that is a short form version of the argument I'm making. I can message you a copy of the full journal article once it's finished if you'd like. 

Yeah agree with your first paragraph.

Cheers for the link, I'll take a look. Full article would be interesting too thanks, sounds great.

Have you, or anyone else, seen the Pegasus stuff in the Guardian this weak? That looks like something far more dangerous than getting into nightclubs.

2 minutes ago, Archied said:

This is one of my biggest problems, I find it virtually impossible to believe there can be the amount of stupidity, chaos and lack of awareness in people that have risen to the heights of running the country, you have to be looking for the plot because otherwise it’s beyond belief ?‍♂️

Johnson, Williamson, Hancock, Patel. These are exceptionally poor people to be any important role. If you fancy a laugh, look up Patel "debating" capital punishment with Ian Hislop on Question Time.

1 minute ago, ariotofmyown said:

Cheers for the link, I'll take a look. Full article would be interesting too thanks, sounds great.

Have you, or anyone else, seen the Pegasus stuff in the Guardian this weak? That looks like something far more dangerous than getting into nightclubs.

Not a problem. I'm hoping to have it finished for the end of the week so it shouldn't be too long. 

I've seen bits and bobs in the press about it, it certainly sounds very dodgy to say the least. I'm waiting a bit longer before i form a full judgment about it and reading up more on the subject as I'm not particularly tech savvy in the first place. 

7 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

You may well be right , it may well be the stumbling around of populists who have no clue of the damage they are doing or the lines they are crossing in terms of the dangers to our society principles that have been cherished and guarded for a very long time 

it makes no difference the motive or lack of , it has to be challenged and stopped, power is addictive, may be bumbling boris today but who knows who will be wielding it further down the road , we have to protect the rights of those we don’t agree with to protect our own , that’s what we are built on in this country?

10 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

No , what is it?

5 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Not a problem. I'm hoping to have it finished for the end of the week so it shouldn't be too long. 

I've seen bits and bobs in the press about it, it certainly sounds very dodgy to say the least. I'm waiting a bit longer before i form a full judgment about it and reading up more on the subject as I'm not particularly tech savvy in the first place. 

The article you posted was very interesting cheers. The dangers it refuted seemed more real to the prorouging of Parliament the Autumn before Covid, that a much higher proportion of the population were against vs than the minority who opposed the first lockdown.

No , what is it?

Take a look on the Guardian. Basically states using software to infiltrate smartphones of people who may try and hold them to account. The software is supposed to be for fighting crime apparently.

I haven't seen the UK involved. Yet.

You may well be right , it may well be the stumbling around of populists who have no clue of the damage they are doing or the lines they are crossing in terms of the dangers to our society principles that have been cherished and guarded for a very long time 

it makes no difference the motive or lack of , it has to be challenged and stopped, power is addictive, may be bumbling boris today but who knows who will be wielding it further down the road , we have to protect the rights of those we don’t agree with to protect our own , that’s what we are built on in this country?

If you read the emergency corona legislation you'll find there are plenty of limitations on executive powers most importantly the sunset clauses on the legislation that protect us, reintroduction of Parliamentary scrutiny and limitations on ministerial decrees that can be exercised. Furthermore, anything not enshrined in primary legislation can be challenged via the courts and potentially struck down if it crosses protections that primary legislation does give us. 

If all that wasn't enough we then have Parliamentary opposition in the form of Boris struggling with a few of his backbenchers and the press. Currently, the polling suggests people want more measures to be in place so the government is currently swimming against the tide of political opinion by opening up and easing all restrictions. That is hardly the actions of a populist government coming for your long earned hard fought liberty. 

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

So the vaccine doesnt stop you from getting it?

It doesn't stop you from spreading it?

And it doesn't protect the person getting it?

So why are they so keen on people to get double jabbed?

Because it lessens the effects and hospitalizations.

In which case why are people so worried about getting it?

The argument just seems to be contradict itself.

In the US at the moment 97.5% of hospital admission haven't been vaccinated and 99% of deaths haven't.

Irrespective of Boris and the Government u-turning at the drop of a poll, there's nothing contradictory about those stats.

3 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

The article you posted was very interesting cheers. The dangers it refuted seemed more real to the prorouging of Parliament the Autumn before Covid, that a much higher proportion of the population were against vs than the minority who opposed the first lockdown.

It seems to me from what I read and watch that parliament is being made redundant more and more under the current regime , I am stunned that people don’t find these very worrying times when you put it all together ?‍♂️

5 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Take a look on the Guardian. Basically states using software to infiltrate smartphones of people who may try and hold them to account. The software is supposed to be for fighting crime apparently.

I haven't seen the UK involved. Yet.

?