The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

1 hour ago, Norman said:

I'm just going to put an idea out there. 

Maybe, just maybe, our vaccination programme was rolled out quicker. A lot quicker. Is our immunity through vaccination now waning? You'd think so from all the studies. 

So maybe this will start happening in all the other countries who were so slow to get their population vaccinated in a month's time or however longer they took to get to our levels. 

Is it possible that mass vaccination during a pandemic actually promotes variant s in the virus 

58 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Direct comparison between Scotland and England over the last 7 weeks...

• Scotland's population: 5.45 million.
  • Max daily cases in current wave: 7053 (on 7 September) - 129.4 / 100K
  • Peak daily figures (rolling 7 day average): 6405 (on 7 September) - 117.5 / 100K
  • Month start daily figures (rolling 7 day average) on 1 October: 2689 - 49.3 / 100K
  • Today's daily figures (rolling 7 day average): 2463 - 45.2 / 100K
  • Today's daily figures (actual): 2459 - 45.2 / 100K
  • England's population: 55.98 million
  • Total daily cases on 7 September: 27241 - 48.7 / 100K
  • Rolling 7 day average on 7 September: 27701 -  49.4 / 100K
  • Month start daily figures (rolling 7 day average) on 1 October: 27637 - 49.3 / 100K
  • Today's daily figures (rolling 7 day average): 36963 - 66.0 / 100K
  • Today's daily figures (actual): 43738 - 78.1 / 100K
  • Can't give you our third wave peak figures - I don't think we've reached it.

Scotland's figures for daily new cases at the start of September were terrible - but over the last seven weeks, they have dropped by almost two thirds.

England's figures for daily new cases at the start of September were largely under control - then people decided that it was all over and decided that masks are for wusses.

In the last 50 days, Scotland's daily new case figures fell by almost two thirds and are still falling, whereas ours increased by almost two thirds and are back on the exponential up-curve.

Clearly, we can see from the above figures that mask mandates don't work. Oh, wait....

So what’s the cases per capita figure and amount of tests carried out figure? Oh and numbers since mask mandate removed 

Edited by Archied

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Nearly a 1000 dead in the last week though unfortunately. About 2/3 of Austraila's total deaths. 

Are those countries not obsessed with sniffles seeing a similar number of deaths though?

Germany have had 59 deaths in 7 days. Very similar vaccination rate too.

Feels like we are on the edge of yet more restrictions and problems. Will this shambles ever end?

Maybe Australia aren't testing for death? ?‍♂️

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

Direct comparison between Scotland and England over the last 7 weeks...

• Scotland's population: 5.45 million.
  • Max daily cases in current wave: 7053 (on 7 September) - 129.4 / 100K
  • Peak daily figures (rolling 7 day average): 6405 (on 7 September) - 117.5 / 100K
  • Month start daily figures (rolling 7 day average) on 1 October: 2689 - 49.3 / 100K
  • Today's daily figures (rolling 7 day average): 2463 - 45.2 / 100K
  • Today's daily figures (actual): 2459 - 45.2 / 100K
  • England's population: 55.98 million
  • Total daily cases on 7 September: 27241 - 48.7 / 100K
  • Rolling 7 day average on 7 September: 27701 -  49.4 / 100K
  • Month start daily figures (rolling 7 day average) on 1 October: 27637 - 49.3 / 100K
  • Today's daily figures (rolling 7 day average): 36963 - 66.0 / 100K
  • Today's daily figures (actual): 43738 - 78.1 / 100K
  • Can't give you our third wave peak figures - I don't think we've reached it.

Scotland's figures for daily new cases at the start of September were terrible - but over the last seven weeks, they have dropped by almost two thirds.

England's figures for daily new cases at the start of September were largely under control - then people decided that it was all over and decided that masks are for wusses.

In the last 50 days, Scotland's daily new case figures fell by almost two thirds and are still falling, whereas ours increased by almost two thirds and are back on the exponential up-curve.

Clearly, we can see from the above figures that mask mandates don't work. Oh, wait....

Now do the same exercise for last winter when mask wearing was mandatory and let us know the results 

5 hours ago, sage said:

There's an excuse for evert fact, you're wasting your time. 

Excuse for what?

Some people just want to get on with their lives.

Why the obsession with what everyone else is doing?

If you're scared of the virus stay home as much as you can, wear a mask and keep 2 metres apart from people. 

Does the vaccination programme work or not?

If it doesn't well we are all screwed eventually, if it does then we are as safe as we are ever going to be.

4 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

As far as I know were not in lockdown and they don't have to have a vaccine.  They may choose to have one if they'd seen what I have over the last 18 months.  Perhaps they need permanently locking down.  What a load of nobbers.  

12 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Maybe Australia aren't testing for death? ?‍♂️

Maybe they don’t attribute deaths to Covid when it’s not the actual root cause ??‍♂️

14 hours ago, Norman said:

I'm just going to put an idea out there. 

Maybe, just maybe, our vaccination programme was rolled out quicker. A lot quicker. Is our immunity through vaccination now waning? You'd think so from all the studies. 

So maybe this will start happening in all the other countries who were so slow to get their population vaccinated in a month's time or however longer they took to get to our levels. 

Definitely an element of the first one.. Most vulnerable people were vaccinated some time a go.. Where that protection wanes it will become more serious. 

You can kind of see this in the stats where the mostly unvaccinated under 18s have the highest rates of covid, with slightly higher rates in those 35 and above. The 20s and early 30s have the lowest rates... 

Also things to consider are that the AZ vaccine isn't as effective as Pfizer vaccine... AZ is basically what's used for the majority of those north of 40 here and the most vulnerable in the first priority groups. 

The EU countries have also vaccinated far more under 18s than we have...and started earlier. The UK approach seems to be a lot more cautious vaccinating kids but I don't think that the government consider overall impact on transmission as important as risk/benefit ratio on the individual. I'm sure your politics and point of view will dictate what you think is best... 

My kids school has sent all year 11s home until after half term as so many of them have Covid. Another Comp nearby has shut due to Covid.

Not sure we'll have another lockdown, but just have schools shut again and advice to work from home if you can.

I'm going to theatre on Monday and need a vaccination pass to get in. Think a Covid negative test as well would be better.

I know some people are against vaccinating teenagers, but there seems to be much more danger in letting them all get Covid ie long Covid, possible mutations, passing it back to older relatives etc.

18 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Not sure we'll have another lockdown, but just have schools shut again and advice to work from home if you can

I'm not so sure the tories will have the stomach for imposing more restrictions. 

The problem is that the more people who get covid and survive without long covid symptoms - the less empathy there is for anyone else who might not be so lucky

I've spent 18 months following rules and hoping that I don't catch it. Now i feel it's inevitable, and not a question of IF I will catch it, but WHEN. Then I just have to cross my fingers and hope that the vaccine does its job

This was clearly the strategy from the moment the vaccine rollout started

54 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Definitely an element of the first one.. Most vulnerable people were vaccinated some time a go.. Where that protection wanes it will become more serious. 

You can kind of see this in the stats where the mostly unvaccinated under 18s have the highest rates of covid, with slightly higher rates in those 35 and above. The 20s and early 30s have the lowest rates... 

Also things to consider are that the AZ vaccine isn't as effective as Pfizer vaccine... AZ is basically what's used for the majority of those north of 40 here and the most vulnerable in the first priority groups. 

The EU countries have also vaccinated far more under 18s than we have...and started earlier. The UK approach seems to be a lot more cautious vaccinating kids but I don't think that the government consider overall impact on transmission as important as risk/benefit ratio on the individual. I'm sure your politics and point of view will dictate what you think is best... 

One factor in the increasing death toll of late might be that an awful lot of those who are now eligible for a booster haven't had one yet. The headline numbers bandied about in the press and government are impressive at first glance - 3.1 million top-ups already administered - but this is only 40% of those eligible for one now, 6 months after the administration of their second dose. In other words, more than 4.5 million either haven't bothered, haven't got around to it yet or (for whatever reason - I know that my local practice are no longer administering COVID-19 vaccinations, but the local pharmacy are) been unable to get one. Note that these are the 'most vulnerable' group.

It has been known from the start of the vaccination program that the effectiveness of the vaccines wanes somewhat over time, so it is vitally important that the take-up of the booster is improved as far as the numbers are concerned. The people who are eligible have all shown willingness to be chipped - I mean vaccinated - in the past. Ideally, the take-up from this group should be as close to 100% as makes no difference.

10 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I'm not so sure the tories will have the stomach for imposing more restrictions. 

The problem is that the more people who get covid and survive without long covid symptoms - the less empathy there is for anyone else who might not be so lucky

I've spent 18 months following rules and hoping that I don't catch it. Now i feel it's inevitable, and not a question of IF I will catch it, but WHEN. Then I just have to cross my fingers and hope that the vaccine does its job

This was clearly the strategy from the moment the vaccine rollout started

I would say it has been the strategy once the success of the vaccines was established, yes, in terms of cutting serious illness and deaths.

We were told (quite rightly IMO) in the summer that we'd have to live with the virus, so that means it was always likely to be a case of when, rather than if we'd catch it, once all the restrictions were lifted. Most of us are unlikely to be offered a booster, so the only way to maintain high immunity for this winter at least is to catch the thing while our vaccine protection is still strong enough to prevent anything serious.

I'm not going out of my way to catch it but I'm not living in fear of it either. It's inevitable.

We're not going to be able to hide from it - as certain countries have proved.

If the extent of more restrictions is indoor mask wearing again, then I could probably live with that over the winter.