Wing backs good, wingers bad.

sage

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, sage said:

He has scored 1 goal in 63 games outside of Scotland.

Ouch. But has he been stuck on the wing all that time? I dunno, i'm clearing grasping for inspiration. Rooney clearly saw something creative in him and said this is what he was bringing in. 

I think we have to count Ibe out for now.

If and when he gets back to a level physically and mentally that he can play it'd be great to have him. But, these things can't be rushed and it' be easy to end up destroying him by throwing him in right now.

I think we have enough to limp to the end of the season, but I doubt any of us are going to look back and think about the football we've played.

It’s a good idea in principle, but I’m not sure it makes best use of our squad depth. Byrne and Buchanan are probably our only fullbacks capable of playing wing-back, other than maybe McDonald but he’s still very inexperienced. Puts a lot of pressure on those two to play every game, and deliver week in, week out. They’d have to be our main source of creativity in that system.

On the other hand, we have plenty of wingers. Roberts, Jozwiak, Waghorn, Lawrence, Ibe... even others like Mitchell-Lawson. They’re all struggling at the moment, but there’s some decent quality in there somewhere. It’s an awful lot of players to render obsolete by switching systems. We need to work on getting more out of them somehow, rather than just abandoning them.

18 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It’s a good idea in principle, but I’m not sure it makes best use of our squad depth. Byrne and Buchanan are probably our only fullbacks capable of playing wing-back, other than maybe McDonald but he’s still very inexperienced. Puts a lot of pressure on those two to play every game, and deliver week in, week out. They’d have to be our main source of creativity in that system.

On the other hand, we have plenty of wingers. Roberts, Jozwiak, Waghorn, Lawrence, Ibe... even others like Mitchell-Lawson. They’re all struggling at the moment, but there’s some decent quality in there somewhere. It’s an awful lot of players to render obsolete by switching systems. We need to work on getting more out of them somehow, rather than just abandoning them.

I wasn't suggesting every game till the end of the season. Its not something you would absolutely play the whole 90 minutes. I think we should start on that basis the next few games. The wingers can come on as the game is stretched and make a bigger impact.

I would also add Ebosele and Archie Brown are certainly good enough enough to be on the bench in wing back roles and are far nearer a first team game than Ibe.

32 minutes ago, sage said:

I wasn't suggesting every game till the end of the season. Its not something you would absolutely play the whole 90 minutes. I think we should start on that basis the next few games. The wingers can come on as the game is stretched and make a bigger impact.

I would also add Ebosele and Archie Brown are certainly good enough enough to be on the bench in wing back roles and are far nearer a first team game than Ibe.

Fair play, it does make sense as an option short term. But I do worry we’d potentially lose even more goal threat in terms of players actually being there to finish chances off. You’d need to ditch playing Shinnie in midfield and bring Sibley in imo.

8 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Fair play, it does make sense as an option short term. But I do worry we’d potentially lose even more goal threat in terms of players actually being there to finish chances off. You’d need to ditch playing Shinnie in midfield and bring Sibley in imo.

I said Sibley in the 3.

Any news on Jordan Ibe? If he is anywhere near a return to fitness physically and mentally, one wing would be sorted. We could then do what Watford did and play predominantly down one flank. It may be predictable but still unstoppable with the talent Jordan had and hopefully still does for his sake and ours. 

13 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I think when fit Tom could play alongside Knight and Shinnie in the central 3 playing 3 at the back.

I hope that , when fit, Tom is sold or given away or left sitting believing how brilliant he is at home. We don’t need any petulant pretty boys in Rooney’s Rams . Give me a Sibley type attitude every time . ..... Get rid asap !!!!

1 hour ago, Seaside Ram said:

I hope that , when fit, Tom is sold or given away or left sitting believing how brilliant he is at home. We don’t need any petulant pretty boys in Rooney’s Rams . Give me a Sibley type attitude every time . ..... Get rid asap !!!!

Don’t be silly. 

On 21/02/2021 at 00:27, sage said:

Start with wing backs. Bring wingers on when there is more space. Easy.

Archived