Derby v Huddersfield match day thread.

Boycie

11 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

A really professional performance that. Surprised about Rooney saying he got it wrong first half as I thought he'd nailed it - Jozwiak/Waghorn offering little so they went to the bench, Huddersfield like the ball so pack midfield, bring our full backs into the game more & hit them on the break. First 15 mins we were very on the back foot but only once got cut open for Campbell's chance. Our goal massively changed the dynamic of the game & thereafter the Knight-Shinnie-Bird triangle started to become very difficult for them to get through.

Very brave of Rooney to make two subs at half time but both Jozwiak/Waghorn changes worked well as the game started to stretch with Huddersfield looking for the equaliser. Also noticed the co-ordinated press led by Knight in particular - it seemed very pre-meditated the way we'd hone on players particularly on the flank surrounding them very quickly with 2 or 3 players.

Cracking second by Waghorn - delighted for him after enduring such a long run without a goal & sublime ball from Kazim who has a real eye for a cracking pass (did v similar for Jozwiak v Middlesbrough). By the end, we were totally dominant & think 2-0 flattered them somewhat. 

Notable performances all over the park - Bird, Knight & Wisdom all played great but MOM has to be the main man, King Kazim. So dominant against their CBs, some great defensive work in his own box & a fantastic spot to put Waghorn in for the second.

Top post

Have to say I thought bringing off Edmundson was strange as he was frightening the life out of their defence at corners and crosses, But WR got it spot on, Normally I tend to get a little fidgety around to 80th minute mark as out history shows we tend to buckle.

I never got those fidgets...we were so compfy, Watching Huddersfield was a mirror image of our time under Cocu, A shedload of the ball and harmless infront of goal, As for our 2 ex players...Holmes very inefective, Keogh...well he's just Keogh, Nowt special now.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

just saying it's not as good a goal as some are making it out to be.

I have to agree, He should have stopped on the 18 yard line flicked the ball up, Headed it 3 times in the air, Controlled it on his thigh, Stood on the ball, Back healed through the keepers legs, Walked it to the goaline, Got on 4s and headed it in the net.

Pah... Rubbish goal Zodiac Sign Mermaid GIF by Hope

10 hours ago, Red_ram said:

Like many, I didn’t want Rooney as manager, but he’s the first manager in a very, very, very long time that looks to be able to successfully implement a plan B (or C). 2 games on the trot he’s mixed things up significantly and improved things. We’re in a dog fight and have a horrible pitch so patchy performances are alright right now, but his surprising tactical nous, and willingness to change things, is what gives me the most heart for the future. Plus he’s getting work rate out of people and taking an active role in the academy.

I think in the past we’ve said it confused players to change the plan mid game. WR seems to have got the players so well organised and believing they can play any of his systems. They must have terrific faith in him.

We just had a reminder of what it was like watching Cocu-ball. The first ten minutes of "Oh, it looks like they've got something to offer", followed a few minutes later by "Nothing to see here. Move along please". Well played, Huddersfield!

Apparently Wayne told the players that he'd got the tactics wrong in the first half - what an admission. I thought he's actually done rather well first half - it took us 10 minutes to get to grips with the game, during which time they had their one chance on goal, then we simply stepped up and snuffed them out. It seemed to have worked well, but Wayne thought it could have been better. I simply thought that his change of tactics was to throw Huddersfield off the scent again after making their half-time changes to their tactics to get back in the game again. So instead of offering to further assist Wayne in his endeavours, I'll carry on driving my lorry.

If Kaz's through ball was as good as a George Thorne through ball, it would have been George Thorne-esque. But it wasn't. IT was a pretty dammed good through ball though! But he is competing against George's through-ball against Huddersfield which threaded its way immaculately through about 8 or 9 defenders to pick out Johnnie Russell who had run all the way round the outside of that packed defence and dinked the ball over the keeper. I had high hopes of Waggy doing something similar on Kaz's through-ball. Actually, no I didn't, but he did fail to completely foul up yet another one-on-one and it was game over! As far as I know, that is Waggy's first ever one-on-one goal in a Derby shirt!

When he came on after half-time I really did wonder what it is he's got on Rooney, fully expecting him to show us a variety of ways to bounce the ball of his shins, put the ball over the bar, and put it over the opposite touchline, along with a couple of reckless challenges. And despite sealing the match, his other contributions included a corner which didn't clear 2 feet above the ground and went straight into the side netting, and a shot ballooned over the bar. So at least we got the real deal back after the goal!

Sith Happens said "quoting BOB BIGGS, said: There will be some on here who are disappointed that he’s scored...

its weird isn't it, most of us wanted him to and were pleased he scored, but a minority would have fist pumped if he had missed. " 

Well I was shaking my first when he came on. Sibley must be absolutely terrible during practice and training to keep getting overlooked in favour of sorbo-shins. Never mind, Waghorn scored, and we won. Let's hope it does his confidence the world of good.

A big shout-out for the ref - he missed a clear yellow (foul on Gregory, I believe) in the first half, and maybe the first yellow card for Brown was a bit harsh, but he hardly put a foot wrong. Which is a shame, as he probably got sacked this morning for being good at a Derby County match!

In the end we won the game at a canter, probably conserving energy for Friday. And despite the result, which still helped us, let's hope that Rotherham did to Forest what they did to our players. That would mean that Forest would be whittled down to the last 147  players in their squad!

Fact is our form should be frightening the Trees silly. Here's hoping! Oh, and finally, although someone has already mentioned it, Wayne Rooney certainly knows how to do his homework, because he's found out that Notts Forest hate being called Notts Forest, and uses the term of endearment at every opportunity. What a guy!

59 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

We just had a reminder of what it was like watching Cocu-ball. The first ten minutes of "Oh, it looks like they've got something to offer", followed a few minutes later by "Nothing to see here. Move along please". Well played, Huddersfield!

Apparently Wayne told the players that he'd got the tactics wrong in the first half - what an admission. I thought he's actually done rather well first half - it took us 10 minutes to get to grips with the game, during which time they had their one chance on goal, then we simply stepped up and snuffed them out. It seemed to have worked well, but Wayne thought it could have been better. I simply thought that his change of tactics was to throw Huddersfield off the scent again after making their half-time changes to their tactics to get back in the game again. So instead of offering to further assist Wayne in his endeavours, I'll carry on driving my lorry.

If Kaz's through ball was as good as a George Thorne through ball, it would have been George Thorne-esque. But it wasn't. IT was a pretty dammed good through ball though! But he is competing against George's through-ball against Huddersfield which threaded its way immaculately through about 8 or 9 defenders to pick out Johnnie Russell who had run all the way round the outside of that packed defence and dinked the ball over the keeper. I had high hopes of Waggy doing something similar on Kaz's through-ball. Actually, no I didn't, but he did fail to completely foul up yet another one-on-one and it was game over! As far as I know, that is Waggy's first ever one-on-one goal in a Derby shirt!

When he came on after half-time I really did wonder what it is he's got on Rooney, fully expecting him to show us a variety of ways to bounce the ball of his shins, put the ball over the bar, and put it over the opposite touchline, along with a couple of reckless challenges. And despite sealing the match, his other contributions included a corner which didn't clear 2 feet above the ground and went straight into the side netting, and a shot ballooned over the bar. So at least we got the real deal back after the goal!

Sith Happens said "quoting BOB BIGGS, said: There will be some on here who are disappointed that he’s scored...

its weird isn't it, most of us wanted him to and were pleased he scored, but a minority would have fist pumped if he had missed. " 

Well I was shaking my first when he came on. Sibley must be absolutely terrible during practice and training to keep getting overlooked in favour of sorbo-shins. Never mind, Waghorn scored, and we won. Let's hope it does his confidence the world of good.

A big shout-out for the ref - he missed a clear yellow (foul on Gregory, I believe) in the first half, and maybe the first yellow card for Brown was a bit harsh, but he hardly put a foot wrong. Which is a shame, as he probably got sacked this morning for being good at a Derby County match!

In the end we won the game at a canter, probably conserving energy for Friday. And despite the result, which still helped us, let's hope that Rotherham did to Forest what they did to our players. That would mean that Forest would be whittled down to the last 147  players in their squad!

Fact is our form should be frightening the Trees silly. Here's hoping! Oh, and finally, although someone has already mentioned it, Wayne Rooney certainly knows how to do his homework, because he's found out that Notts Forest hate being called Notts Forest, and uses the term of endearment at every opportunity. What a guy!

Nice little summary but can you go in to a bit more detail please ?

Archived