Kaide Gordon

Ghost of Clough

8 hours ago, networker1884 said:

Just like to forget about things like this. Was with us from the age of six for christ sake. Don't get why he wouldn't repay us like Jude Bellingham did for Birmingham. Just ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  

Yes, it does rather make you think. Perhaps he wasn't confident the Big Boys would still want him.

Perhaps if we weren't in such a financial pickle then we might not have put him in the shop window and pushed a little harder to keep him with us for a couple more years. Seems to be that the timings were all wrong. I'm sure if Bellingham was at the same point in his career as Kaide when all the Brexit/Covid stuff happened then they might have had to offload him for a lot less money.

The reality is, he made his way into the first team picture for a whole season (not just 5 minutes in a match that was already won) and proved he was ready for 1st team football, Kaide needs more time to develop and we couldn't afford that. I'm also pretty sure Birmingham have closed their academy now as they can't afford to run it. At least we can still bring through new youngsters and there will hopefully be more stars developed in time.

On 18/02/2021 at 00:08, networker1884 said:

Just like to forget about things like this. Was with us from the age of six for christ sake. Don't get why he wouldn't repay us like Jude Bellingham did for Birmingham. Just ?  ?  ?  ?  ?  

Ah well. A reason to hate Liverpool, along with the Fulham fans raging about Harvey Elliott.

Just because he was here from a young age doesn't mean he owes us anything. 

When a club like Liverpool presents a young lad with an opportunity then I have absolutely no problem with them taking it. A career ending or limiting injury is only ever a bad tackle away. 

If I am presented with an opportunity to advance my career do I turn it down out of some loyalty to my current employer? No, if it works for me I take it. I'll never criticise a player for doing the same thing I would do in their position.

• 1 month later...
On 17/02/2021 at 23:45, Millenniumram said:

Moves from the edge of Derby’s first team to Liverpool under 18s... great career move that...

Trying to develop as a footballer, in a team that is complete devoid of quality, under a owner who is trying to sell the club to anyone who will take the financial burden off him, also under a very inexperienced coaching staff regardless of their status as a footballer previously to training with Liverpool's first team, under one of the top 5 coaches in the world who has developed a catalogue of players to the highest levels of the game. I would say that it's a very good move for him. 

It's not a race to the first team, it's about how you can develop the fundamentals that can carry you to the highest point of the football pyramid. Not forgetting we had one of the most naturally gifted young players that this country has had in decades and couldn't develop him beyond a 'good Championship midfielder' in Will Hughes. If you would've told me 9-10 years ago, when he first came into the first team that he would be playing at the same level at 25 then I would've scoffed. 

We seem to be very good at developing academy players into the first team, but not many really ever progress any further. 

28 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Trying to develop as a footballer, in a team that is complete devoid of quality, under a owner who is trying to sell the club to anyone who will take the financial burden off him, also under a very inexperienced coaching staff regardless of their status as a footballer previously to training with Liverpool's first team, under one of the top 5 coaches in the world who has developed a catalogue of players to the highest levels of the game. I would say that it's a very good move for him. 

It's not a race to the first team, it's about how you can develop the fundamentals that can carry you to the highest point of the football pyramid. Not forgetting we had one of the most naturally gifted young players that this country has had in decades and couldn't develop him beyond a 'good Championship midfielder' in Will Hughes. If you would've told me 9-10 years ago, when he first came into the first team that he would be playing at the same level at 25 then I would've scoffed. 

We seem to be very good at developing academy players into the first team, but not many really ever progress any further. 

Good luck to the lad - I know where I'd rather be right now. 

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

It's not a race to the first team, it's about how you can develop the fundamentals that can carry you to the highest point of the football pyramid.

Yeah, I certainly don't blame him.

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Not forgetting we had one of the most naturally gifted young players that this country has had in decades and couldn't develop him beyond a 'good Championship midfielder' in Will Hughes. If you would've told me 9-10 years ago, when he first came into the first team that he would be playing at the same level at 25 then I would've scoffed. 

Hughes never really was 'technically gifted', but he was/is an incredibly intelligent player so he chose the correct decision almost every single time.

6 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Whilst what you say about the club is very much true, and I absolutely agree that would put most potential first team signings off a move here, I don’t think it has so much impact on young players.

We’ve still got one of the best academy’s in the country, you can see that from our success at U23/U18 level even this season. I don’t think there’s any evidence that Liverpool’s coaching at that level is significantly different to ours, they just have brighter talents to work with. No reason whatsoever that he couldn’t have achieved his potential here. 

If he was moving to be part of their first team squad, then sure I obviously understand the move. But he hasn’t, he’s moved from our bench to their U18’s, regardless of who he’s trained for a few days with. That’s not a step up imo, not at his age - all he’s done is move himself further away from first team experience, and that’s the only real way to develop as a player imo.

On 22/03/2021 at 11:59, Ghost of Clough said:

Hughes never really was 'technically gifted', but he was/is an incredibly intelligent player so he chose the correct decision almost every single time.

I’d argue it’s his intelligence that prevented him from showing how technically gifted he is. He’s probably the best dribbler I’ve seen for Derby but never really got a chance to show it other than in odd flashes and Istanhull.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I saw Kaide was trending on Twitter tonight. Turns out he replaced Shaqiri in Liverpool's pre-season friendly against Bologna and acquitted himself well. What might have been.

He's played quite a bit in pre season with the Euros and that.

They really like what they've seen so far.

Called him a £3m signing in the Echo, which softens the blow a bit.

14 minutes ago, Rev said:

He's played quite a bit in pre season with the Euros and that.

They really like what they've seen so far.

Called him a £3m signing in the Echo, which softens the blow a bit.

Two seasons out on loan and they'll have that back is the depressing bit. Really grinds my gears. 50% of loan fees paid should go back to the selling club till the player is 23 if it's a move for a championship scholar to a premier league club.  The championship academies are just becoming their money maker. Bit like Delap saying he needs game time. He'd have got plenty here that's for sure, we might have got 20 goals and and a load of cash and he'd still have got a move at the end of it as well.

On 22/03/2021 at 11:59, Ghost of Clough said:

He is a very intelligent player agree with that but think you're wrong about his technical ability. From memory he had good close control, a strong ability to dribble, a  good pass and an ability to strike the ball. Add in his excellent vision which is how you get the assists like you saw against wolves. 

5 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Two seasons out on loan and they'll have that back is the depressing bit. Really grinds my gears. 50% of loan fees paid should go back to the selling club till the player is 23 if it's a move for a championship scholar to a premier league club.  The championship academies are just becoming their money maker. Bit like Delap saying he needs game time. He'd have got plenty here that's for sure, we might have got 20 goals and and a load of cash and he'd still have got a move at the end of it as well.

Agreed, although it seems pointless us investing the cash to be a Cat 1 academy, yet still losing players on the cheap to set ups in the same tier.

Maybe we'd have lost them even cheaper if below Cat 1?

Perhaps if our finances were better we'd be better able to repel such raids? 

We also don't seem to throw our own weight around and poach promising youngsters from academy's below our ranking either.

I know we got Bogle and another in a double deal, but I don't think us being Cat 1 held much sway in that deal.