Watford v Derby, Friday 19th February

Kinder

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

The. Sky pundits I think said that our goal would probably have been disallowed by VAR because CKR  (offside) was interfering with play. But we could have had a pen for handball ... 

Possibly. 

However, no shots on target all game probably means we didn't deserve too much.

14 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Who would you put in instead of Waghorn. Not being contentious as think his recent few performances have been abysmal.

Sibley left. Jozwiak right.

the rest are all poo

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Played a couple of games in that role under Wassall. I seem to remember him playing really well there against Sheffield Wednesday at home.

I remember him being given a couple of games, but really should’ve stuck with him there. He ran the show tonight... #baller

Let’s be honest. We had 5 poor minutes that whole game and it cost us. Should have been 2-2 but for incompetent referees again. Thought we deserved at least a point to be honest. Didn’t think we were awful but they were a class above and that is expected when 1 player is worth more than our whole club. We move. Some can hold their heads up high. 

Rooney said on Radio Derby we showed Watford too much respect first half. Totally agree, second half was more like it but ultimately a lucky goal followed by a poor 10 minutes and poor referring decisions cost us. 

Roberts Buchanan Waggy weren’t good tonight, Shinnie has also had better games. Bird grew into the game and I thought he was better when Shinnie went off. Byrne and Edmundson stood out. Jozwiak was decent when he came on. 

Lots of positives from tonight. There is no way we are going down.

Marshall -, very little to do. 

Wisdom - generally good solid performance, looked bit more confident on the ball 

Edmundson - grew into the game, I kinda like him 

Byrne - got better and better, delivery is a weapon. MOTM

Buchanan - totally rinsed for the goal but otherwise decent enough and stuck at it 

Knight - works so hard but got crowded out at times and didn't have the pace to break free

Bird - quietly efficient, does the simple things 

Shinnie - similar to Knight, dogged but lacking in creativity 

Roberts - kept cutting in and losing it and made a terribly weak tackle that lead to the 2nd goal...but I can't help thinking he has something (Lawrence-esque). 

CKR - runs the line, robbed of a certain goal, did what he could with little service. 

Waghorn - his control was ok today but deary me his crossing and passing was awful, offered little protection defensively 

Jozwiak - tenacious, tricky but end product is very frustrating and isn't quick enough to get a shot off

Sibley - bit lightweight at times on the ball but then petulant too, needs more game time. 

Not too disheartened by that overall. To have a team as talented & full of confidence as Watford hanging on at the end was testament to how well we played. They've got a couple of lads too good for this division (Sarr, Chalobah & our William) so was a good test of where we are.

Also pleased with the line up & formation tonight - 4-3-3 but with two key picks that I feel neutered us a little. Firstly, I don't really understand why Knight was playing as the furthest forward midfielder when Bird has shown much better potential in that position. Watford are very good squeezing space in midfield & so we needed a bit more quality up there - Knight simply doesn't have that in his locker. Secondly, Waghorn playing wide left didn't work at all - felt Jozwiak needed to be taken out the side but not for someone who has been playing equally badly but on his 'wrong' side.

As to the game itself, a decent opening 15 mins albeit a bit too much focus on retaining possession rather than opening them up. Disappointed with Roberts who missed at least 2 glaring opportunities to put the ball in the box - he's clearly good in possession but like Jozwiak, needs to prioritise hitting men in the box earlier. Then the crazy 10 mins - a fluke for the first goal & some poor defending for the second.

Like most on here, am mystified why Kazim's goal was ruled out before half time - Wisdom wasn't even looking at the keeper & in fact was grappling with their defender (Cathcart?). Really soft decision in favour of a keeper who clearly misjudged the flight. That said, the only poor decision ref made all game - one of the better ones this season.

Second half was much better. Looked to be more incisive, stepped up the pitch noticeably & the introduction of Gregory, Jozwiak & Sibley gave us late threat. Byrne was excellent all game, set up the goal & was desperately unlucky with the corner that hit the bar.

When all said & done, I'd have taken 6 points from 3 games in 6 days & at least we tried to play some football tonight. Going in the right direction. COYR ?

6 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Marshall -, very little to do. 

Wisdom - generally good solid performance, looked bit more confident on the ball 

Edmundson - grew into the game, I kinda like him 

Byrne - got better and better, delivery is a weapon. MOTM

Buchanan - totally rinsed for the goal but otherwise decent enough and stuck at it 

Knight - works so hard but got crowded out at times and didn't have the pace to break free

Shinnie - similar to Knight, dogged but lacking in creativity 

Roberts - kept cutting in and losing it and made a terribly weak tackle that lead to the 2nd goal...but I can't help thinking he has something (Lawrence-esque). 

CKR - runs the line, robbed of a certain goal, did what he could with little service. 

Waghorn - his control was ok today but deary me his crossing and passing was awful, offered little protection defensively 

Jozwiak - tenacious, tricky but end product is very frustrating and isn't quick enough to get a shot off

Sibley - bit lightweight at times on the ball but then petulant too, needs more game time. 

What do you think Robert’s has? He was simply awful tonight.

12 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I keep reading and hearing this, but what does he actually offer? I mean tangibly what does he give to the team? What I see and im no expert  he’s another sideways, backwards keep possession footballer who actually offers nothing to improve the team positively (I mean adds to the actual goals for metric) 

3 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I keep reading and hearing this, but what does he actually offer? I mean tangibly what does he give to the team? What I see and im no expert  he’s another sideways, backwards keep possession footballer who actually offers nothing to improve the team positively (I mean adds to the actual goals for metric) 

Got to say neither him nor Shinnie gave enough tonight.

10 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Not too disheartened by that overall. To have a team as talented & full of confidence as Watford hanging on at the end was testament to how well we played. They've got a couple of lads too good for this division (Sarr, Chalobah & our William) so was a good test of where we are.

Also pleased with the line up & formation tonight - 4-3-3 but with two key picks that I feel neutered us a little. Firstly, I don't really understand why Knight was playing as the furthest forward midfielder when Bird has shown much better potential in that position. Watford are very good squeezing space in midfield & so we needed a bit more quality up there - Knight simply doesn't have that in his locker. Secondly, Waghorn playing wide left didn't work at all - felt Jozwiak needed to be taken out the side but not for someone who has been playing equally badly but on his 'wrong' side.

As to the game itself, a decent opening 15 mins albeit a bit too much focus on retaining possession rather than opening them up. Disappointed with Roberts who missed at least 2 glaring opportunities to put the ball in the box - he's clearly good in possession but like Jozwiak, needs to prioritise hitting men in the box earlier. Then the crazy 10 mins - a fluke for the first goal & some poor defending for the second.

Like most on here, am mystified why Kazim's goal was ruled out before half time - Wisdom wasn't even looking at the keeper & in fact was grappling with their defender (Cathcart?). Really soft decision in favour of a keeper who clearly misjudged the flight. That said, the only poor decision ref made all game - one of the better ones this season.

Second half was much better. Looked to be more incisive, stepped up the pitch noticeably & the introduction of Gregory, Jozwiak & Sibley gave us late threat. Byrne was excellent all game, set up the goal & was desperately unlucky with the corner that hit the bar.

When all said & done, I'd have taken 6 points from 3 games in 6 days & at least we tried to play some football tonight. Going in the right direction. COYR ?

He's not our William when he's constantly whinging and berating the ref to book our players for nothing.  May as well have carried his own set of yellows.  Do your job for the team that's paying you but to be honest he came across as a moaning dick.  

Archived