Watford v Derby, Friday 19th February

Kinder

8 minutes ago, Patrick Rams said:

So we leave out a far better player on the off chance he might give away a free kick?Waghorn red card after 20 minutes anyone?

Hey, people who know me will know I am one of Louie Sibley's biggest fans BUT he does need to put his brain into gear at times! Giving that foul away (which was just petulance) at the time he did bought Watford at least two minutes of the ball when it was us who desperately needed it.

FWIW, I would prefer to start Sibley in games like this as I think he would make a difference if he had time to make his impact, rather than him coming on for a few minutes here and there when he seems hell bent on making his mark. If we were higher up the table, I think we'd see more of him. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

We should have been given a pen. After the ball hits the bar from the corner, it hits the Watford players hand, which is horizontal to the ground , it was a pen, not sure why nobody spotted it 

It was actually a save, not the bar.

I saw the "handball" in the replay, along with the wrestling of Wisdom.

I didn't mention it, as the ball bounced up hard and fast onto the arm... and I've completely lost track of the handball rule this past year or so, so haven't got a clue whether it should be given or not!  ?

Can’t begin to say how impressed I am with Wayne Rooney. Many of us were frustrated and disappointed with his last few games for us but his legacy as a player cannot be questioned and the goals he scored for us go down as Wayne Rooney, Derby County goal scorer. I for one am a surprisingly huge fan (raised Man City, in my blood to dislike anything in red)  and as the man has commented, we will have more set backs on this road, but I really really hope we can establish a team in his mould because we have a man who needs not a penny in financial reward but eats sleeps and breathes the game and it’s my belief we will become a very impressive team in his mould. 

1 minute ago, angieram said:

Hey, people who know me will know I am one of Louie Sibley's biggest fans BUT he does need to put his brain into gear at times! Giving that foul away (which was just petulance) at the time he did bought Watford at least two minutes of the ball when it was us who desperately needed it.

FWIW, I would prefer to start Sibley in games like this as I think he would make a difference if he had time to make his impact, rather than him coming on for a few minutes here and there when he seems hell bent on making his mark. If we were higher up the table, I think we'd see more of him. 

For what it’s worth I thought he did ok tonight when he came on .

I think he will control his petulance as he gets older .

To be honest I didn’t realize he’s only 19.  

He has time on his side .

Good luck to the lad. 

Strange old game. Watford looked the better team and Sarr created the opening goal with a burst of pace that was hard to believe. Derby were rocked and looked set for a long night. 

Robbed of a goal and scramble our way back into the game. Watford take their foot off the gas and our combative but technically limited midfield 3 start to compete. 

By the end every corner was causing chaos and we were probably good value for a point. Watford hitting the deck, time wasting and play acting their way to victory. 

Frustrating but ultimately satisfying that we made a fist of it. 

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He was.

But where was he for their first goal? Not a centre-half for me. Wonder how Teden plays at CH?

Wisdom was in a great position. Blocked the cross which unfortunately hit their man and went in. 

Not too disheartened today. Thought we played OK. Had a lot of the ball, never threatened too much. Watford have a lot of quality, Sarr is a Premier League player.

Waghorn really poor today. Needs dropping. Wide players is a problem area at the moment. Buchanan unfortunately got roasted by Sarr. 

People have gone way over the top about one foul by Louie Sibley. Ridiculous. If you lip read his reaction, apart from the eff offs. He said Sarr was taking the pee. He was. Either a throw or more possession from Watford occurs in that situation. No damage was done. I’d play him instead of Waghorn. 

1 minute ago, enachops said:

Waghorn really poor today. Needs dropping. Wide players is a problem area at the moment. Buchanan unfortunately got roasted by Sarr. 

Who would you put in instead of Waghorn. Not being contentious as think his recent few performances have been abysmal.

Decent effort tonight.

Apart from Byrne, and maybe Bird & Wisdom, we had a real lack of quality on the ball though. Waghorn was terrible, Sibley did more in 8mins than he did in 80mins. Roberts was very disappointing, very lightweight, and at fault for the 2nd goal along with Edmundson. 

Full of effort but no real quality to go with it. Zero shots on target tonight says it all really.

Watching Will Hughes run the game tonight was sad but at the end of the day Watford have premier league quality players so we shouldn't get too upset about the result. Just got to make sure we beat Keogh & Holmes on Tuesday now.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

He waved the side of his foot at it - should have been cleared into the stands!

Difficult to make a good connection when your weight is in the wrong foot running towards your own goal. Ask Keogh (ooo it’s still raw!) A lucky goal for Watford. I don’t think Shinnie should have dived in during the build up, left Buchanan a little exposed, the pace was ridiculous. Knight went down way too easily. 

31 minutes ago, Andicis said:

We started the game too cautiously, by the time we stopped giving Watford too much respect and improving a lot, it was too late. 

Agree, been reflecting and talking to my eldest, we thought exactly that. Once we went at them, we could’ve nicked something from tonight, as despite some obvious talent, they never totally outclassed us. We didn’t have enough belief or luck, but I can live with the result if we beat Huddersfield next.

Still on a good run under Rooney and still getting better.

A much better performance. 
a bit slow out of the traps and handicapped by ineffective wide men.

a wet challenge cost us for the second goal and a twit of a referee cost us a valuable goal just before half-time 

We really got going when Will went off. The three subs all improved us. 
in the end we were slightly unlucky but it took too long for us to sort ourselves out.

Edmundson played well. Hopefully we can get him on a permanent somehow. 

4 minutes ago, enachops said:

Difficult to make a good connection when your weight is in the wrong foot running towards your own goal. Ask Keogh (ooo it’s still raw!) A lucky goal for Watford. I don’t think Shinnie should have dived in during the build up, left Buchanan a little exposed, the pace was ridiculous. Knight went down way too easily. 

Nope - clear that back where it comes from. Should have done better.

Archived