Watford v Derby, Friday 19th February

Kinder

28 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Yes

Ok Kazim should have scored with that header but just want to mention Byrne’s cross. He does this with real consistency with BOTH FEET a thing many PL wing backs can’t manage. What a buy he was. 

I know Buchanan put in a beauty couple of games ago for a CKr goal and Fozzie set Joz up well last month. But the threat from Byrne and his Beckhamesque instep is on a different level. So hard to defend against and the attacker knows the cross from the training ground. 

Very surprised Byrne didn’t start vs WW 

I wasn’t surprised to not see Bryne start vs WW ( due to his lack of height) whilst not being sure who would have replaced him there with wisdom being the obvious one. I did fully expect to see Forsyth start either at left back or as one of 3 CB 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I’m not sure Bird offers much at all in midfield. He’s the invisible man, rarely demanding the ball and always playing it safe.

The man who may need a rest is CKR.

In that formation I’m talking about playing bird in that more advanced role with shinnie - I thought he was starting to look good there in those two games before bielik got injured! Think bird has the ability - he just needs to add aggression to his game to avoid the safe pass like you say. 

Two half decent matches and Waghorn is on everyones starting 11.

I can't redeem him that quickly, no goals on open play, a red card and a lot of matches as a lone forward with no goals.

Sure he does a better job in midfield or on the wing, but there is plenty of talent on the bench I would much rather play.

14 hours ago, DCFClks said:

image.png.0d7e45e64c0673abace8da8ba85165db.png

I still think Jozwiak needs a rest, but I don't think we have anyone else who can play LW at the moment. I don't think Roberts or Waghorn have ever played on the left and the only other option is Knight (if Lawrence is still out).

Jozwiak did get subbed after 60 mins v Wycombe so should be relatively fine i would have thought. 

Waghorn did play on the left towards end of the Wycombe game, but yes there are no other options at moment. 

On 17/02/2021 at 11:40, DCFC27 said:

Would go back to the squad that started against Boro 

Marshall

Byrne 

Wisdom - player of the year for me so far. By far our most consistent performer this season. 

Disagree with that. Personally I think it is Byrne who was been the most consistent. 

3 minutes ago, BriggRam said:

Can't find a thread so asking here.....any news on Clarke's injury

Yeah, it happened against Wycombe. Hope this helps.

Rooney seemed quietly confident after the game that he'd make Fridays game. I don't think anything else has been communicated as of yet. 

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Win and we keep looking up, with hope but not expectation. Lose and we're looking down again. Football is so much about momentum and because of our dreadful early season we've not given ourselves much wriggle room.

It seems a big moment to have Will's return to Pride Park, showing how horrendous this current Covid time is when I'm sure it would have been an emotional day for him and us. It's disappointing to see him in the Championship at this stage of his career and not pushing for or even expecting a seat on the plane.

I've been a critic of Wisdom but full marks to him for his performance and leadership on Tuesday. That's partly down to Rooney's belief in him. I've been a critic of Waghorn but he is a danger from corners as well as freekicks and works hard. I have loved what Rooney has said about bravery and speed on the ball. Will Matt Clarke be fit? Finally after the January window we are beginning to see better competition for places so I think he may feel he has to play. 

Marshall

Byrne      Wisdom      Clarke      Buchanan

Knight          Bird          Shinnie

Waghorn       Kazim-Richards        Jozwiak

Bench: Roos  Mengi  Edmundson  MacDonald  Forsyth Watson  Sibley Gregory Roberts

Harsh on Baningime (again) who would make the bench if Clarke (or any of the other loanees) misses out.

I think, if we go 4-3-3 then Baningime gets on the bench and a defender misses out. No point having Mengi, Edmundson, MacDonald and Forsyth all on the bench and then not have stronger cover for midfield. If there was an injury to one of Bird or Shinnie then we'd be forced to change shape.

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I’m not sure Bird offers much at all in midfield. He’s the invisible man, rarely demanding the ball and always playing it safe.

The man who may need a rest is CKR.

What!?!

The lad's whole game is based around demanding the ball, which he's happy to do in space & with men around him (which marks him out from the rest of our midfield)

As to him 'playing it safe' - one of these urban myths like 'Lawrence doesn't work hard' or 'Keogh has a mistake in him'. Watch his cameo against Bristol City playing at number 10 before he had to move back to cover injured Bielik - central to our utter dominance of that opening 30 mins linking play between forward players & smashing the post himself. Watch his slide rule ball through Luton's defence to set up our goal there & the ball that dissected Huddersfield's defence for Knight to be flagged offside despite being 5 yards onside.

Really dispiriting seeing such a talent being dismissed especially when we've had Knight & Shinnie contributing the square root of zero quality on the ball in the past 2 games.

25 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

What!?!

The lad's whole game is based around demanding the ball, which he's happy to do in space & with men around him (which marks him out from the rest of our midfield)

As to him 'playing it safe' - one of these urban myths like 'Lawrence doesn't work hard' or 'Keogh has a mistake in him'. Watch his cameo against Bristol City playing at number 10 before he had to move back to cover injured Bielik - central to our utter dominance of that opening 30 mins linking play between forward players & smashing the post himself. Watch his slide rule ball through Luton's defence to set up our goal there & the ball that dissected Huddersfield's defence for Knight to be flagged offside despite being 5 yards onside.

Really dispiriting seeing such a talent being dismissed especially when we've had Knight & Shinnie contributing the square root of zero quality on the ball in the past 2 games.

I think you're confusing the Bird that played alongside Rooney with the Bird we've seen this season. 

If he was playing well he'd be starting. 

I have a feeling that Edmundson will be the new Bielik in many games. If you have to meet him before the back four it would make you consider your options. I hope that he has reasonable speed and can read the game. Wayne said that he may use him in midfield.

1 hour ago, Bob Gnarly said:

Disagree with that. Personally I think it is Byrne who was been the most consistent. 

Wisdom not the most consistent through the season but he might be the most improved. Early on his mind wandered and he looked vulnerable on the air. These coaches have made him into a leader, improved his distribution forward, stopped him going awol and taught him how to jump! 
Byrne’s great but I reckon Clark is the most consistent 

34 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think you're confusing the Bird that played alongside Rooney with the Bird we've seen this season. 

If he was playing well he'd be starting. 

The examples I've given contradicting your view have been from this season.

Rooney is prioritising hard work & pragmatism in order to squeeze out the results we need to stay up - that's why Knight & Shinnie are starting. Its not because they are superior players or playing better.

I am pretty sure Wayne will go 3 5 2 here, with Edmundson joining Wiz and Clarkey. B&B as wingbacks, serving it up on a plate for Colin and Gregory (Wags to replace G for the last 20 minutes). Who will join Shinniesta and Knight? I might go for Bird personally and pusk Knight more forward, but Joz and Roberts could play in front of the other two workhorses.  3 points. Easy easy this team select malarkey.

4 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Deeney definitely out for Watford and I can't say I'm disappointed at that news, as he can be a real handful and is their joint top scorer on 7, (with 3 assists).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56113063

Sarr on his own will be handful enough. I do think he's a very talented player. But indeed it's good not to have Deeney to try to bully our defence.

3 hours ago, Dinnitdough said:

Two half decent matches and Waghorn is on everyones starting 11.

I can't redeem him that quickly, no goals on open play, a red card and a lot of matches as a lone forward with no goals.

Sure he does a better job in midfield or on the wing, but there is plenty of talent on the bench I would much rather play.

Salvation lies within

Archived