Watford v Derby, Friday 19th February

Kinder

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I think Rooney, like many, see Sibley as a red card waiting to happen. 

He hasn't helped himself with some pretty awful challenges in the U23s and his desperation to get back in the fold has led to a drop off in form. 

Cresswell is looking the better bet at the moment. 

Isn’t Waggie a red card waiting to happen?

I’d revert back to 4 3 3 for this one. We didn’t keep hold of the ball enough against Wycombe and feel this game will be about the midfield battle. I also thought knight looked knackered against Wycombe and had one of his poorest games of the season, so I’d rest him. 

Marshall

Byrne 

wisdom 

clarke (if fit) 

buchannan 

Baningime

bird 

Shinnie 

Waghorn 

Jozwiak 

Kazim Richards 

1 hour ago, Ramos said:

I’d revert back to 4 3 3 for this one. We didn’t keep hold of the ball enough against Wycombe and feel this game will be about the midfield battle. I also thought knight looked knackered against Wycombe and had one of his poorest games of the season, so I’d rest him. 

Marshall

Byrne 

wisdom 

clarke (if fit) 

buchannan 

Baningime

bird 

Shinnie 

Waghorn 

Jozwiak 

Kazim Richards 

I’m not sure Bird offers much at all in midfield. He’s the invisible man, rarely demanding the ball and always playing it safe.

The man who may need a rest is CKR.

37 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I’m not sure Bird offers much at all in midfield. He’s the invisible man, rarely demanding the ball and always playing it safe.

The man who may need a rest is CKR.

Agree re Bird....the loss of Bielik has left an almost impossible massive great hole to fill....maybe give the new lad from Everton a go?

I think the best we’ve seen of Bird this season was when he was played further forward.  He seems to hide a bit when he’s deeper, I don’t know if it’s fear of giving the ball away, but he looked much more involved further up the pitch.

Bird is definitely our most creative player with the loss of Bielik. Knight and Shinnie can both do a job in their more defensive roles so I say play Bird further up the pitch to see if he can make something happen. Even though we’ve won our last two games they were both very scrappy, we’ve really struggled to create chances in our last three games whereas in the game at home to Bournemouth we could’ve won maybe 3-0. Roberts looked lively, I think he has to start, seemed to actually make some things happen when he came on.

I disagree with people saying Bird hides, when he came on against Wycombe he was  constantly demanding the ball, it's just no one passed to him. Whether that's because they stuck a man on him or because our defenders didn't feel comfortable passing the ball to him in those positions, I'm not sure. But I think it's wrong to say he hides.

Win and we keep looking up, with hope but not expectation. Lose and we're looking down again. Football is so much about momentum and because of our dreadful early season we've not given ourselves much wriggle room.

It seems a big moment to have Will's return to Pride Park, showing how horrendous this current Covid time is when I'm sure it would have been an emotional day for him and us. It's disappointing to see him in the Championship at this stage of his career and not pushing for or even expecting a seat on the plane.

I've been a critic of Wisdom but full marks to him for his performance and leadership on Tuesday. That's partly down to Rooney's belief in him. I've been a critic of Waghorn but he is a danger from corners as well as freekicks and works hard. I have loved what Rooney has said about bravery and speed on the ball. Will Matt Clarke be fit? Finally after the January window we are beginning to see better competition for places so I think he may feel he has to play. 

Marshall

Byrne      Wisdom      Clarke      Buchanan

Knight          Bird          Shinnie

Waghorn       Kazim-Richards        Jozwiak

Bench: Roos  Mengi  Edmundson  MacDonald  Forsyth Watson  Sibley Gregory Roberts

Harsh on Baningime (again) who would make the bench if Clarke (or any of the other loanees) misses out.

16 hours ago, Yani P said:

Can't see us playing 442 in this type of game..need more in the midfield and hopefully play with some attacking width to give them something to worry about..

Yes

Ok Kazim should have scored with that header but just want to mention Byrne’s cross. He does this with real consistency with BOTH FEET a thing many PL wing backs can’t manage. What a buy he was. 

I know Buchanan put in a beauty couple of games ago for a CKr goal and Fozzie set Joz up well last month. But the threat from Byrne and his Beckhamesque instep is on a different level. So hard to defend against and the attacker knows the cross from the training ground. 

Very surprised Byrne didn’t start vs WW 

Marshall 

Bryne wisdom Clarke Buchanan 

Waghorn knight Shinnie joziwak  

CKR.   Gregory 

maybe Gregory could be rested to take over from Richards to put another in midfield such as sibley but I would expect Bird 

442 has given us two wins and 4 goals and maybe gives good reason to carry on with it but I think we may need the extra man in central midfield 

Archived