Watford v Derby, Friday 19th February

Kinder

That was a really important win tonight, but the less said about the performance the better.  Rooney clearly wasn’t happy so we should see an improvement on Friday.  

You can argue that he got the team selection wrong by dropping the fullbacks, but the team he put out and the subs he made brought home 3 points.  At the end of the season, that will be all that matters.  We’re sitting at the top of the form table as well, with 15 point from the last 6 games.  That is seriously impressive form.

We’ll surely see Buchanan and Byrne back In on Friday.  Fingers crossed Clarke recovers - he was looking imperious until he went off and is such an important player for us.  I liked the look of Edmundson though, decent in the air and he seems comfortable bringing the ball out.  And Wiz more than stepped up when Clarke had to go off, what a performance from him.

Roberts looked very lively as well, he’ll be in the reckoning for a start.  And Gregory was pretty anonymous tonight so we might see Kaz up top on his own and bring another body into midfield.

Watford won tonight to move up to 3rd.  It will be another very tough game but we should see some football, unlike tonight!  Am I right in thinking it will be the first time we face Will Hughes?  One of the classiest footballers I’ve seen at Derby in recent years, it will be sad to see him in a Watford shirt.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Kinder said:

That was a really important win tonight, but the less said about the performance the better.  Rooney clearly wasn’t happy so we should see an improvement on Friday.  

You can argue that he got the team selection wrong by dropping the fullbacks, but the team he put out and the subs he made brought home 3 points.  At the end of the season, that will be all that matters.  We’re sitting at the top of the form table as well, with 15 point from the last 6 games.  That is seriously impressive form.

We’ll surely see Buchanan and Byrne back In on Friday.  Fingers crossed Clarke recovers - he was looking imperious until he went off and is such an important player for us.  I liked the look of Edmundson though, decent in the air and he seems comfortable bringing the ball out.  And Wiz more than stepped up when Clarke had to go off, what a performance from him.

Roberts looked very lively as well, he’ll be in the reckoning for a start.  And Gregory was pretty anonymous tonight so we might see Kaz up top on his own and bring another body into midfield.

Watford won tonight to move up to 3rd.  It will be another very tough game but we should see some football, unlike tonight!  Am I right in thinking it will be the first time we face Will Hughes?  One of the classiest footballers I’ve seen at Derby in recent years, it will be sad to see him in a Watford shirt.

Really good test of our progress on Friday.

Watford themselves played poorly against Preston according to reports so we shouldn't have to fear them. 

Hopefully Wayne will set up the team not just to try and sit in. 

The return fixture earlier in the season was one of those that Cocu was unlucky to lose and as we saw from tonight, perhaps reversion to the mean really is a thing. 

So we should play to win. 

3 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Watford themselves played poorly against Preston according to reports so we shouldn't have to fear them. 

Hopefully Wayne will set up the team not just to try and sit in. 

The return fixture earlier in the season was one of those that Cocu was unlucky to lose and as we saw from tonight, perhaps reversion to the mean really is a thing. 

So we should play to win. 

I watched them against QPR the other week, they were nothing special.

think he’ll go 3 at the back for this. with bryne, buchannan and roberts starting

marshell

wiz.         eddy.      clarke

bryne.                                                  lb

shinnie.         knight

roberts.                                   waggy

colin

Marshall

Byrne           Wisdom                   Clarke                 Buchanan

Bird                      Shinnie

Knight

Waghorn             CKR                   Jozwiak

Subs: Roos, Forsyth, Mengi, Edmundson, Roberts, Sibley (if fit), Gregory, McDonald, Watson

Watford are a completely different proposition to Wycombe and we will need to control the midfield if we are going to beat them. Three at the back just invites pressure and they have too much quality for us to try and poohouse a result.

Would go back to the squad that started against Boro 

Marshall

Byrne 

Wisdom - player of the year for me so far. By far our most consistent performer this season. 

Clarke 

Buchanan 

Waghorn - 2 good games this week, delivery is fantastic from a corner should have been on them for the past 3 seasons and we might have racked up a few more goals. 

Knight - couple of quiet games, expect a big performance this against Watford. 

Shinnie 

Jozwiak - could be dropped for Roberts, been a bit quiet recently. Work rate keeps him in. 

CKR 

Gregory- impressed by these two together they cause problems for defenders and they know they’ve been in a game.

Big 3 games, is how I’d pitch it. Win all three and we’re safe, no squeaky bum time and we can then focus on finishing as strongly as possible and as high as possible. No chance of playoffs, let’s get that straight. I could see us breaking top ten with our current form. 

I didnt give us a chance away to Brentford and under Rooney we came away with a 0-0. This sort of game suits us as they have to come at us but will be very happy with a draw.

I reckon we will go 343 - 

Marshall : Wisdom Edmundson Clarke : Byrne Knight Shinnie Buchanan : Roberts CKR Waghorn

Bench : Roos Forsyth Mengi McDonald Bird Watson Sibley/JML Jozwiak Gregory

Baningime to make the bench if Clarke is injured and Mengi to start in a back 3. 

Marshall

Byrne Wisdom Clarke Buchanan

Shinnie Knight Bird

Roberts CKR Jozwiak.

Although he was poor recently, I think Jozwiak needs time. Also, one of two natural wingers we have at the moment. Byrne and Buchanan back in (and never out again please), back to the 4-3-3

2 hours ago, DCFC27 said:

Would go back to the squad that started against Boro 

Marshall

Byrne 

Wisdom - player of the year for me so far. By far our most consistent performer this season. 

Clarke 

Buchanan 

Waghorn - 2 good games this week, delivery is fantastic from a corner should have been on them for the past 3 seasons and we might have racked up a few more goals. 

Knight - couple of quiet games, expect a big performance this against Watford. 

Shinnie 

Jozwiak - could be dropped for Roberts, been a bit quiet recently. Work rate keeps him in. 

CKR 

Gregory- impressed by these two together they cause problems for defenders and they know they’ve been in a game.

Big 3 games, is how I’d pitch it. Win all three and we’re safe, no squeaky bum time and we can then focus on finishing as strongly as possible and as high as possible. No chance of playoffs, let’s get that straight. I could see us breaking top ten with our current form. 

If we continue our present form then we will probably be in the Play Offs whether we want to be or not. Would be 14 wins at the previous six games rate. 42+34=76. Just saying.

Waggy works hard so I'd be happy to have him drop into midfield, otherwise use Bird, all so as to accommodate Roberts who has something about him. Gregory was anonymous.  The full backs must return. 4-3-3

Marshall

Byrne Wisdom Clarke Buchannan

Waghorn   Shinnie  Knight

Roberts     Kazim-Richards   Jozwiak

Why is Sibley not starting or playing? 

He shouldn’t be rotting on the bench, especially now that Bielik injured.

I also think he and Roberts would have great chemistry.

Marshall

Byrne     Wisdom    Clarke     Buchannan

Shinnie

Roberts                                              Jozwiak    

Knight                              

Sibley                                     Kazim                                           

19 minutes ago, Dinnitdough said:

Why is Sibley not starting or playing? 

He shouldn’t be rotting on the bench, especially now that Bielik injured.

I also think he and Roberts would have great chemistry.

Marshall

Byrne     Wisdom    Clarke     Buchannan

Shinnie

Roberts                                              Jozwiak    

Knight                              

Sibley                                     Kazim                                           

I think Rooney, like many, see Sibley as a red card waiting to happen. 

He hasn't helped himself with some pretty awful challenges in the U23s and his desperation to get back in the fold has led to a drop off in form. 

Cresswell is looking the better bet at the moment. 

A few changes needed after that poor performance, despite the win:

Marshall

Byrne Wisdom Edmundson Forsyth

Roberts Knight Shinnie Waghorn

Kazim-Richards Gregory

Mengi looked well out of his comfort zone last night at RB, so Byrne returns as a more natural player for that position. Edmundson obviously replaces the injured Clarke. Jozwiak was poor and wasteful yet again, so Roberts gets his chance after impressing from the bench. Thought Kazim-Richards and Gregory were both ineffective up front last night, but we literally have no other fit strikers, so they will have to continue if we stick with the 4-4-2.

Young William has been playing in the centre of a midfield three for them recently after not really featuring at the beginning of the season for whatever reason.

I would've loved to have seen a Hughes v Bielik battle in the middle, whoever got the upper hand in controlling that contest probably wins the game. Instead I expect we'll see Shinnie and Knight being energetic and scrapping like they always do, so a completely different type of game.

God I miss Krystian Bielik already.

Archived