Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Not sure how reliable the Stoke Sentinel is but anyway...

Stoke City have been linked with a move for Plymouth Argyle striker Luke Jephcott - but they could face strong competition to land him.

The 21-year-old has hit 18 goals in 29 appearances this season, putting him on the radar of a number of clubs, including Championship rivals Nottingham Forest, Derby County and Sheffield Wednesday.

Now The Sun, say Stoke are the latest club to show an interest in the Wales Under-21 international, with head of recruitment Alex Aldridge watching Jephcott in action. However, seven other Championship scouts also cast their eye over the player at the same time.

Plymouth boss Ryan Lowe admits there has been ‘a few inquiries’ about the 21-year-old striker but that they went no further than that. in the January transfer window.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/stoke-city-one-eight-championship-5003068

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we are certainly going to be in need of strikers this summer, what with Gregory’s loan running out and Kazim-Richards’ contract expiring. This lad has a very impressive record in League One - certainly seems like a good option to me, at his age he’s likely to be able to make the step up.

Sounds like lazy journalism though, link pretty much every Championship club to him and the likelihood is one will eventually sign him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like this to happen purely because he used to play for Truro City who are my closest club that are anywhere near professional. I don't know for a fact but I'd guess he would be the first player to play for both Truro and Derby!

He'd also be the first Derby player who has two of my former clubs, albeit at youth level, in his playing history. For that reason alone, I'm in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 I have watched him a few times, when he played against our team ( Bodmin ) for Truro,  Im sure Argyle  have only had him a couple of seasons, IMO nothing special, a bit of a Lineker player, right place at right time is in his favour, but i think if you check the stats a lot of   his goals are from the penalty spot

Link to post
Share on other sites

Luke Jephcott was born in Aberystwth, his family moved to Ponsanooth near Falmouth in Cornwall when he was very young. Played a lot of youth football in Cornwall and was taken on by Plymouth Argyle when he was 14. Loaned out to Truro City at the start of 2019/20 season and I believe he was brought back because of shortage of 1st team strikers at Plymouth. Finished 2019/20 season with Argyle scoring 7 in 14 games. Only played 22 league games for Plymouth this season (he was out injured for a short spell) and as scored 16 goals, got another 2 goals in the F.A. cup. Ryan Lowe, Manager at Argyle states that there as been enquiries and also states he does not want him to leave. It's rumoured that if he leaves Argyle would want £3.5M for him.

From what I've seen of him, he gets most of his goals inside the 6yd box. Very good work rate, just turned 21 in January. Won youth caps for Wales, could he step up to the Championship, I don't know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kernow said:

I'd like this to happen purely because he used to play for Truro City who are my closest club that are anywhere near professional. I don't know for a fact but I'd guess he would be the first player to play for both Truro and Derby!

He'd also be the first Derby player who has two of my former clubs, albeit at youth level, in his playing history. For that reason alone, I'm in.

You played for Helston then Kernow, I was in Helston back in December. Had a couple of drinks in the famous Blue Anchor pub.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rample said:

Not sure how reliable the Stoke Sentinel is but anyway...

Stoke City have been linked with a move for Plymouth Argyle striker Luke Jephcott - but they could face strong competition to land him.

The 21-year-old has hit 18 goals in 29 appearances this season, putting him on the radar of a number of clubs, including Championship rivals Nottingham Forest, Derby County and Sheffield Wednesday.

Now The Sun, say Stoke are the latest club to show an interest in the Wales Under-21 international, with head of recruitment Alex Aldridge watching Jephcott in action. However, seven other Championship scouts also cast their eye over the player at the same time.

Plymouth boss Ryan Lowe admits there has been ‘a few inquiries’ about the 21-year-old striker but that they went no further than that. in the January transfer window.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/stoke-city-one-eight-championship-5003068

They definitely made an offer for him a few weeks ago.  They had another youngster on loan at Truro and picked up on him whilst watching how he got on.  Believe they had a 400k offer rejected and didn't go any higher.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, plymouthram said:

You played for Helston then Kernow, I was in Helston back in December. Had a couple of drinks in the famous Blue Anchor pub.

Helston & Truro in youth football and then briefly for Mousehole and Penzance in senior football, yeah.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/Derby-county-luke-jephcott-transfer-5300010.amp

5 million certainly seems an easy buy for Derby.

But an issue might be his recent form ...

https://www.derbycounty.news/transfers/3-5m-ace-luke-jephcott-suffers-torrid-form-following-Derby-county-link/amp/

I would prefer the club signed Clarke-Harris from Peterborough. For me, that would be a real sign of intent.

Clarke-harris would probably cost more but I think cheaper than buying one of the top 4 championship strikers.

I believe that derbys new owners would have the capital to buy those kinds of strikers and would want to see the club promoted quickly.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Oldben said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/Derby-county-luke-jephcott-transfer-5300010.amp

5 million certainly seems an easy buy for Derby.

But an issue might be his recent form ...

https://www.derbycounty.news/transfers/3-5m-ace-luke-jephcott-suffers-torrid-form-following-Derby-county-link/amp/

I would prefer the club signed Clarke-Harris from Peterborough. For me, that would be a real sign of intent.

Clarke-harris would probably cost more but I think cheaper than buying one of the top 4 championship strikers.

I believe that derbys new owners would have the capital to buy those kinds of strikers and would want to see the club promoted quickly.

 

 

Be great if you could explain to us all who the new owners are (who has the money effectively) and what money they have got.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/02/2021 at 19:50, Kernow said:

I'd like this to happen purely because he used to play for Truro City who are my closest club that are anywhere near professional. I don't know for a fact but I'd guess he would be the first player to play for both Truro and Derby!

He'd also be the first Derby player who has two of my former clubs, albeit at youth level, in his playing history. For that reason alone, I'm in.

I played for Carclaze Giants, Foxhole, Wadebridge, Grampound and Riviera Coasters in my youth Kernow......who knows what might have happened if I had performed in a County Final when a WBA scout came all the way down to watch me when I was 14, scored 96 goals for school and Sunday league team that season.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I played for Carclaze Giants, Foxhole, Wadebridge, Grampound and Riviera Coasters in my youth Kernow......who knows what might have happened if I had performed in a County Final when a WBA scout came all the way down to watch me when I was 14, scored 96 goals for school and Sunday league team that season.....

Are you available for Preston mate ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/04/2021 at 14:05, Oldben said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/Derby-county-luke-jephcott-transfer-5300010.amp

5 million certainly seems an easy buy for Derby.

But an issue might be his recent form ...

https://www.derbycounty.news/transfers/3-5m-ace-luke-jephcott-suffers-torrid-form-following-Derby-county-link/amp/

I would prefer the club signed Clarke-Harris from Peterborough. For me, that would be a real sign of intent.

Clarke-harris would probably cost more but I think cheaper than buying one of the top 4 championship strikers.

I believe that derbys new owners would have the capital to buy those kinds of strikers and would want to see the club promoted quickly.

 

 

I think we’ve wasted enough money at Peterborough !

Link to post
Share on other sites

£5 million would be an utterly ridiculous fee for Jephcott - he’s only just had his breakthrough season in League football really, and even then he’s not been that great. He’s certainly far from a proven quantity right now, so I’d be reluctant to spend more than around £500k on him frankly.

Jonson Clarke-Harris is a good suggestion as an alternative striker option. He’s proven himself as a top quality goal scorer in League One, and looks to be ready for the step up, much like Ivan Toney before him. Peterborough tend to get good money for their star players though, so I’d expect to pay a “Jack Marriott type fee” for him - probably in the region of £2-3m. Would be worth it to get some goals into this side though. Of course, he’s only a realistic option if we manage to stay up...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.