Paul McGrath

Paul_D

Hello there,

Sorry for the intrusion firstly – and also for starting a new topic if one dedicated to Paul McGrath already exists. I was unable to locate it, if so.

Anyway, I'm a journalist with The42 in Ireland and I'm looking for the assistance of Derby County fans with a feature article I'm writing on Mr McGrath. The article is based on the successful season he enjoyed with Derby in the Premier League in 1996-97.

There are already contributions from former players, Chris Powell and Lee Carsley, but I'm hoping to include a supporter's perspective as well. Are there any Derby fans (of a certain vintage) who'd be willing to share any fond memories of Paul McGrath's time at the club? I'd be extremely grateful for any assistance provided.

Many thanks,

Paul

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember the consensus was that he was past it and his knees would be knackered by the end of the first match. But he turned out to have a lot more left in the tank and was absolute class. 

only one season, but what a season! Once a ram always a ram*

* not you, Mickel Beck.

I remember Paul Mcgrath played a sloppy pass in his own half against  Wimbledon at the Baseball Ground. There was no chance he was winning a foot chase with the Dons forward but still managed to position himself to win a last ditch tackle. No one could believe how he had got back to do it with his dodgy knees. 

I wrote to him through the club at the end of the season to thank him for helping to keep Derby up. He sent me back a signed photo which I still have. Like others have said, a class act. 

One of my favourite Rams players. What sticks in my memory is the effortless positioning and confidence. He understood what was happening in a game quicker than any other player I've seen in a Rams shirt. Just instinctively knew where to be. Also seem to recall a lot of backheeled clearances...due to his knees maybe?.

1 minute ago, Needlesh said:

One of my favourite Rams players. What sticks in my memory is the effortless positioning and confidence. He understood what was happening in a game quicker than any other player I've seen in a Rams shirt. Just instinctively knew where to be. Also seem to recall a lot of backheeled clearances...due to his knees maybe?.

This is pretty much the points I was going to make.

First, the expert positioning. He didn't need to run. He was in the right place every time. Read the game so, so well. Seen no other player like it.

Then, the famous back-heeled clearences. Must have been because his knees had gone and couldn't turn anymore. But my goodness - the opposition attackers could not cope with that.

45 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

Maybe his knees were so bad they’d gone all the way the other way, and he could only bend them backwards, like a horse. 

Great player. Was as good as I remember him 8 years earlier for Villa thanks to his reading off the game, he wasn't as quick but the brain was there.  Used to see him having a couple at The Saracens head pub in Derby on a Friday so how he kept playing at that level was beyond me .  The bloke Paulo Maldini referred to as the complete footballer .  Lucky to have him for that season.

I sat next to my leeds mate for Leeds away, it was a freezing night match. He was laughing at McGrath's warm up, as the rest of the players were doing a propper warm up he was failing, by some way, to touch his toes. McGrath had a great game, his positioning was spot on, and he did find some pace when needed. His after match comment was how the duck can he play like that when he can't even touch his toes.

13 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Great player. Was as good as I remember him 8 years earlier for Villa thanks to his reading off the game, he wasn't as quick but the brain was there.  Used to see him having a couple at The Saracens head pub in Derby on a Friday so how he kept playing at that level was beyond me .  The bloke Paulo Maldini referred to as the complete footballer .  Lucky to have him for that season.

You should read his autobiography - a couple of pints was absolutely nothing to him. Astonishing that he's still with us considering the physical and mental state he was in at times....great player and will always be grateful that I saw him in a Rams shirt......

One word: Incredible.

Couldn't train, still drinking like a 70's footballer, just turned up on a Saturday afternoon and was the best player on the pitch.

He didn't have to run, he just stood in the exact position their striker was going to, and did, put the ball. It was drawn to him like a magnet. 

met him on the way back from villa game few seasons at Birmingham airport after we got hammered... decant man and had chats about his time at Derby, told him he will always be a ram in our eyes... 

cant remember much more of the conversation as we left half time and enjoyed the local  bars to down or sorrows 

On 15/02/2021 at 11:43, Paul_D said:

There are already contributions from former players, Chris Powell and Lee Carsley, but I'm hoping to include a supporter's perspective as well. Are there any Derby fans (of a certain vintage) who'd be willing to share any fond memories of Paul McGrath's time at the club? I'd be extremely grateful for any assistance provided.

When did I become a fan 'of a certain vintage'?!?!?

Kids these days have no respect for their (only slight) elders...

Hello again,

Thanks so much to everyone for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it. Some lovely memories there.

Hopefully we'll be remembering Jason Knight's contribution to Derby County in the Premier League just as fondly in another 25 years.

Paul

Archived