What was the daftest thing Cocu did?

RamNut

The man just seemed on a different planet somehow,not really with us,the fans i mean.

After getting pummeled by Forest saying things intimating ,whats the big deal ,we play them two more times.

Just not able to adjust to the fans expectations,fixed on a keep possession and pass back attitude,awful.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, CROSSWORD said:

The man just seemed on a different planet somehow,not really with us,the fans i mean.

After getting pummeled by Forest saying things intimating ,whats the big deal ,we play them two more times.

Just not able to adjust to the fans expectations,fixed on a keep possession and pass back attitude,awful.

I didn't see it this way. He acknowledged that the fans were going to be upset about a big defeat to rivals. Saying that we aim to improve and better our performance for the remaining two games.

Didn't get drawn into the post match remarks. Composed and clear in his messaging. 

Maybe i'm being crazy? 

34 minutes ago, Bob Gnarly said:

I didn't see it this way. He acknowledged that the fans were going to be upset about a big defeat to rivals. Saying that we aim to improve and better our performance for the remaining two games.

Didn't get drawn into the post match remarks. Composed and clear in his messaging. 

Maybe i'm being crazy? 

I dont think your being crazy,i know he said all the right things,but i have a real problem with managers with no passion,maybe im crazy.

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Organised a group team bonding session in a pub. I mean really. Could never have predicted the outcome.

It was a golfing day that got re-routed as I recall. Might be wrong but pretty sure that's what came out in the end. And suggesting that in any case, he should have known they'd get pukefest bladdered and then race eachother home instead of using the taxis that he laid on seems a tad silly to me.

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Organised a group team bonding session in a pub. I mean really. Could never have predicted the outcome.

I think you've taken a bit of artistic license there and somewhat rewrote history. As @86 Hair Islands said, it was initially a golf day. That was cancelled due to the weather and they went ten pin bowling instead. 

They ended up at the Joiners for a meal afterwards. His mistake was entrusting them to behave sensibly after the meal. The majority of the team did do this. Very unfair to lay what unfolded at Cocus door. 

I'm sure there's a way of playing a Dutch-style tactical game at high intensity, but the mistake was to be far too passive. And that saps the competitive nature from the team, and also saw a big degradation in fitness. I find it fascinating that the players under Rooney seem much fitter. Both Cocu and Rooney must know that the most successful teams are the ones that work the hardest, but Cocu didn't seem to implement this.

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I think you've taken a bit of artistic license there and somewhat rewrote history. As @86 Hair Islands said, it was initially a golf day. That was cancelled due to the weather and they went ten pin bowling instead. 

They ended up at the Joiners for a meal afterwards. His mistake was entrusting them to behave sensibly after the meal. The majority of the team did do this. Very unfair to lay what unfolded at Cocus door. 

60a9a96c-9814-479e-9650-af3b5903e111_tex

4 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

It was a golfing day that got re-routed as I recall.

They’d have been ralphing on the greens and pishing in the bunkers.

15 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

My memory is probably wrong but I thought they went elsewhere for a meal then the offending players went on to the joiners afterwards.

Either way it doesnt really matter, who would have thought you couldnt trust grown men to behave.

What amazes me more with our passing accuracy at times early on last season, that a game of ten pin bowling didnt turn into a blood bath with broken limbs a plenty.

In fact makes you wonder...was the joiners thing just a cover for embarrassingly bad bowling which led to the severe injury of our captain...hmmm i wonder.

A lot of assumptions about CKR having been fully fit to start games when Cocu was around. I don’t think he’d had a very intensive pre-season.

Overall, I feel Cocu made more positive decisions than daft ones. His strike rate in the transfer market was good, and finishing 10th last season was no disaster. The path to the first team from young players has never looked clearer, and he genuinely embedded a number of players into the first team. Knight and Buchanan’s improvements under Cocu have arguably saved us from the relegation zone.

I think he massively underestimated the task at hand. The only teams I can really think of having been promoted with a truly non-British style have  been Swansea over a decade ago, and then probably Norwich under Farke 1.0, Leeds last season (although does running loads count as foreign?!) and...maybe I’m struggling after that.

The only players who really performed under Cocu were the young, malleable players who hadn’t picked up habits he was trying to break and were perhaps more prone to feedback and new ideas.

When you look at the fact we were trying to play a relentlessly short-passing game with no playmakers and players like Shinnie, Lawrence, Waghorn and Forsyth at CB at times, it’s no wonder it didn’t work. 

In hindsight, it was really daft to come to a club needing a complete overhaul of playing staff without a budget and new backroom staff. 

On 15/02/2021 at 09:35, RoyMac5 said:

And yet 'word' was that he was a stubborn manager.

His daftest mistake was assuming that the setup in English football was going to allow him to manage in a similar manner to how he did back home. 

Edit: he's starting to be re-invented as Derby's Mother Theresa!!!

I don't remember Cocu glorifying pain and suffering for the poor and refusing them modern medical treatments whilst ensuring she had the best medical care herself. ?

8 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

I don't remember Cocu glorifying pain and suffering for the poor and refusing them modern medical treatments whilst ensuring she had the best medical care herself. ?

You missed that bit? It was in one of those Daily Mail articles, can't remember the exact date.

Archived