How long until a big team poaches our academy staff too?

Rample

If teams are circling for our talented youngsters, how long before a bigger side comes calling for the likes of Wassall or whoever else is key at identifying/developing our kids?

I know our academy is significantly better than that of a number of Premier League sides, but they are catching up - Burnley, Palace and Leeds are all working toward category 1, and when they hit it you have to assume they and even the bigger sides will look to maximise the effect of them, especially now signing foreign kids under the age of 18 is outlawed.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man City came in for our head of foundation two years ago. He left to join them, but just after Christmas he's back to join the mighty Rams. 

I think that tells you everything you need to know. The DCFC Academy is the best in the area and one of the best in the country - many coaches would prefer to be at Derby than a lot of other clubs. The pay isn't that much different. 

There's always some evolution. For instance, Craig Short left for Oxford at the start of the season. But we have amazing facilities and talented youngsters so I hope the core of the operation is quite solid. However, the OP is why I said that when Cocu leaves, I hope the person to be offered the job is Wassall. Maybe I now hope the same for when Rooney leaves! :D 

I don’t think it’s quite the same with staff as it is with kids. Players will be looking to join the big clubs in order to progress to their first teams. Doesn’t happen the same way with coaches (not usually anyway). So I don’t think it’s as likely that we will lose staff members, they don’t have that much to gain. We’re a category one academy, competing at the same level as these bigger clubs, with high quality facilities as well (at least when they were actually being maintained). There isn’t really a significant step up from us at academy level.

3 hours ago, Rample said:

If teams are circling for our talented youngsters, how long before a bigger side comes calling for the likes of Wassall or whoever else is key at identifying/developing our kids?

I know our academy is significantly better than that of a number of Premier League sides, but they are catching up - Burnley, Palace and Leeds are all working toward category 1, and when they hit it you have to assume they and even the bigger sides will look to maximise the effect of them, especially now signing foreign kids under the age of 18 is outlawed.

48 hours

3 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Man City came in for our head of foundation two years ago. He left to join them, but just after Christmas he's back to join the mighty Rams. 

I think that tells you everything you need to know. The DCFC Academy is the best in the area and one of the best in the country - many coaches would prefer to be at Derby than a lot of other clubs. The pay isn't that much different. 

He was assistant lead foundation coach before but has come back as local recruitment manager. Was one of the better coaches at Derby.

2 hours ago, Footymum2017 said:

He was assistant lead foundation coach before but has come back as local recruitment manager. Was one of the better coaches at Derby.

Is that a promotion? It's quite a complicated structure, looking at it from the outside, isn't it?

Well plenty of clubs are finding out the golden goose of investing millions in academies isn't paying off so are taking different routes. Around three or four years ago, when I was looking into this, it costs clubs around £4-5 million a year to run a Cat 1 Academy. For a club in Derby's parlous financial state, that feels very high. 

Mel Morris invested huge amounts to make it what it is, but the idea behind it was that before long we'd be in the Premier League.

If we can bring these kids on and sell them to fund the Academy, and even make a profit, then I guess it makes it work. We've had a bit of a golden run with three or four of the lads who have broken through in the last year or two, but if moving forwards we stay in the Championship and that conveyor belt slows or stops, then we should ask ourselves what the point of being Cat 1 is and whether it's worth the outlay. 

The poaching of not just our promising young players but also the academy coaching staff, could in the future be amute point. What happens to the academy will be in the hands of who will be the club's owner, in the coming months/years.

Any new owner may decide they no longer want to spend the same amount of money that is presently being invested. Mel Morris if he can't find a new investors, may decide that the return on the money spent isn't good enough and he could wind it up himself to save money.

11 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

Well plenty of clubs are finding out the golden goose of investing millions in academies isn't paying off so are taking different routes. Around three or four years ago, when I was looking into this, it costs clubs around £4-5 million a year to run a Cat 1 Academy. For a club in Derby's parlous financial state, that feels very high. 

Mel Morris invested huge amounts to make it what it is, but the idea behind it was that before long we'd be in the Premier League.

If we can bring these kids on and sell them to fund the Academy, and even make a profit, then I guess it makes it work. We've had a bit of a golden run with three or four of the lads who have broken through in the last year or two, but if moving forwards we stay in the Championship and that conveyor belt slows or stops, then we should ask ourselves what the point of being Cat 1 is and whether it's worth the outlay. 

After Mels initial 'investment' in the Academy in the first couple of years, there has been a noticeable drop in money being spent.  The amount of staff has reduced in the last 3 years and the overall feel of the academy, even down to stopping transport on matchdays with players having to make their own way there.  It looks like the academy has been making quite large losses and I can only assume that maybe money wasn't actually put in it was loaned and that is now outstanding with a charge against Moor Farm.

Archived