6 Nations Rugby - 2021

Comrade 86

England’s kicking game was awful yesterday.

Couldn’t believe how often we gifted the opponents the possession.

Number of penalties conceded by England was also awful. 

A lot of work needed before Italy game on training pitch because that wasn’t acceptable.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Curtains said:

A lot of work needed before Italy game on training pitch because that wasn’t acceptable.

You took the word right out of my mouth and keyboard. ??

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

0 line breaks - running game was rubbish. 

No speed from scrum half. Watch him, youngs always a step sideways before passing. 

Farrell at 10. A much poorer record for England than when he's at 12.

Elliott Daly. No run backs just booted it. Mix it up...although tbf he usually just runs straight into the first tackler. 

Breakdown - not competitive. 

Handling - May et Al, knock ons..... 

All aspects of the England game were poor yesterday. 

I'm a bit of a fair-weather Rugby watcher. Pretty much watch the Internationals and handful of Premiership games.

I love watching a fair scrum but one thing that really frustrates me is the scrum half putting the ball in.

As far as I can remember the ball has to go through the channel and the Hookers job is as it says on the tin - to hook the ball out.

All I ever see these days is the scrum half feed it through the tight heads legs back to himself. But the main thing that annoys me is you've got 8 players on the opposition team competing for a ball they have a slim chance of winning in a scrum, which causes serious injuries and even ends careers - my cousin retired from professional Rugby at just 29 because of neck complications, he was a Hooker ( in Rugby terms!)

Surely it's time to either pull up scrum halves doing this or just scrap the contested scrum all together.

On 08/02/2021 at 08:31, WamRam said:

I'm a bit of a fair-weather Rugby watcher. Pretty much watch the Internationals and handful of Premiership games.

I love watching a fair scrum but one thing that really frustrates me is the scrum half putting the ball in.

As far as I can remember the ball has to go through the channel and the Hookers job is as it says on the tin - to hook the ball out.

All I ever see these days is the scrum half feed it through the tight heads legs back to himself. But the main thing that annoys me is you've got 8 players on the opposition team competing for a ball they have a slim chance of winning in a scrum, which causes serious injuries and even ends careers - my cousin retired from professional Rugby at just 29 because of neck complications, he was a Hooker ( in Rugby terms!)

Surely it's time to either pull up scrum halves doing this or just scrap the contested scrum all together.

Not sure if I'm missing something here but isn't rugby union without he set-piece simply rugby league?

4 hours ago, OUTSIDER said:

tough being a Derby and Wales fan 

With you on that. Funny thing is it’s the worst welsh side in many a year and they’re 1st = in the table! Love Rees Zamit tho and what a try.  It’s down for Wales from here I fear but I think Derby are heading in the opposite direction 

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

With you on that. Funny thing is it’s the worst welsh side in many a year and they’re 1st = in the table! Love Rees Zamit tho and what a try.  It’s down for Wales from here I fear but I think Derby are heading in the opposite direction 

I think France are top of the table buddy. Also not sure the Welsh side is the worst in many a year, more a case of missing far too many key players and having a coach who doesn't seem to know his best team. Folk are saying that these last two results will buy him time but I'd say the opposite is probably true. Once it became clear Gatland was leaving I think the WRU should have moved heaven and earth to secure Shaun Edwards' services but perhaps he was intent on leaving anyway.

Irrespective, there's another batch of very good young'uns on their way through the ranks and I'd not be at all surprised if they are back in the mix for RWC 2023.

On 13/02/2021 at 14:23, Van der MoodHoover said:

Another cracking start by England. 

3 mins, 2 penalties conceded and a try. 

Not doing a lot to lift our spirits are they? All the Saracen players look a way off their best. Farrell in particular. Eddie Jones has been a great success for us but I do wonder whether he's rather run out of ideas and also whether the players are still responding to him the way they once did. There's also the odd but strangely consistent bias that home teams who progress to the latter stages of the RWC tend to be very flat in the following Nations, but I feel like I'm clutching at straws there to be honest.

51 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Not doing a lot to lift our spirits are they? All the Saracen players look a way off their best. Farrell in particular. Eddie Jones has been a great success for us but I do wonder whether he's rather run out of ideas and also whether the players are still responding to him the way they once did. There's also the odd but strangely consistent bias that home teams who progress to the latter stages of the RWC tend to be very flat in the following Nations, but I feel like I'm clutching at straws there to be honest.

Farrell appears to be a card waiting to happen. 

Jones does seem to have stopped bringing through the exciting youngsters, retains his favourites regardless of form (farrell, daly, youngs) and the backs look overcoached and devoid of spontaneity. 

Thought the final score hugely flattered England. Take out the interception try and the moment of Italian naively just before half time and the scores were reasonably close.

Much is made of England's vast playing resources, but what that seems to translate into is loads of similar very good players  but we still struggle to find that bit of stardust.

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Farrell appears to be a card waiting to happen. 

Jones does seem to have stopped bringing through the exciting youngsters, retains his favourites regardless of form (farrell, daly, youngs) and the backs look overcoached and devoid of spontaneity. 

Thought the final score hugely flattered England. Take out the interception try and the moment of Italian naively just before half time and the scores were reasonably close.

Much is made of England's vast playing resources, but what that seems to translate into is loads of similar very good players  but we still struggle to find that bit of stardust.

Indeed. In fairness, I think the pack is strong, in fact I think we could put out 3 sets of forwards who could compete, but what's the use of flyers like Watson and May when we never give them the ball. For me, the problem lies with the half-backs. Youngs is a very average 9 and the the options Eddie selects are hardly inspiring either. At 10, neither Ford nor Farrell seem to be able to get the line firing, nor do we see them making line breaks. Given their kicking game is currently very average too (Farrell used to be nigh-on bulletproof in that department), I'm left wondering what is it exactly that they offer? Ah well, enough of my moaning! They'll probably go and show their world cup form next time up and make me look daft once again!

16 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

team was getting old so new manager new players this year,..   done better than last six nations we came 5th only beat Italy ,  big weekend in two weeks  forest and england  

Id beg to differ about Eddie Jones doing ” great” for England. There have been some big claims about wanting to be number 1 and winning RWC. Well... we arnt and we havnt. And we should have been given the players at our disposal. 

Sir Clives lot are the benchmark. No big claims there... no celebrating semi final wins. Nowt was won until trophies were in hand. Still along way to go for Eddies England.

I reckon though, in mitigation, the RWC final loss has stung like crazy and this kick, kick, kick game we do now is him trying to win without the ball. A deliberate game plan. 

France...wow....win or lose they are just so watcheable. Interesting that France 7 position is playing as a rugby league loose forward and Dupont is playing rugby league stand off half running supports. 

I think thats called the Edwards effect. 

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Good to see the French still don’t like the English. Not sure the ref was wrong about the knock on (try) tho   First Welsh try was a joke 

england will still win comfortably I reckon 

Interesting that the worst decision of this 8 Nations and the worst decision in the Premier League have been almost identical and on the same day.

Archived