6 Nations Rugby - 2021

86 Hair Islands

It's that time of year again. Opening day sees Italy kick off the tournament with a resurgent French side at the Stadio Olimpico followed England at home as they seek to retain the Calcutta Cup at Twickenham. The bookies have England clear favourites with their match against France at HQ earmarked as the Grand Slam decider but things never seem to be as predictable in real life as they on on paper. Less half a dozen key players, they ran England close in the Autumn Nations Cup Final and will no doubt fancy their chances with a stronger side now available.

I'll be having a few quid on the games today. France at 1/20 are hardly a working man's price but a 5% return will still appeal to the money buyers. I'm going to have a few speculative punts on Dupont at 10s and Jalibert at 16/1 to be first to cross the whitewash and I can't resist the 45/1 about a Dupont hattrick either. France to win both halves at 1/4 makes some appeal too.

The England game is a tougher call and much will depend on which Scotland turn up. On all known form, England should win, but they looked a little lacklustre at Twickers without the crowd to cheer them on. Statistically, teams that go deep at the RWC have a propensity for completely blowing out at the subsequent 6 Nations too, A win by 7-12 is my rather uninspired guess. Jamie George a wild guess for first try scorer. All of this will doubtless only serve to illustrate why bookies don't ride bikes, I guess!

Enjoy the matches fellow egg-chasing fans!

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

Wow! This young French side look better with every outing. Very interested to see how we play now as that's the gauntlet firmly thrown down I'd say. Only complaint would be that Galthie is getting Jalibert to do a lot of defensive work so we don't get to see his flashing speed and line breaks as much as at club level, but on fairness, he was nigh-on perfect in defence and kicked beautifully from tee and hand.

As for Dupont and Thomas, they'd stroll into any side in the world right now without turning a hair. Really grates that we've not had a top 9 since matt Dawson.

Come on England, let's respond with a big performance please! 🙏

Well that was horrendous. Ten penalties given up inside 27 minutes. England seriously lucky not to be a lot further behind. Set piece horrible, line speed non-existent, no discipline at all at the breakdown and players just strolling around in defence. We're unrecognisable from the side that dismantled the Kiwis in the RWC.

Fair play to Scotland. Showing way more passion than us with greater intent and intensity. We look cumbersome and devoid of ideas by comparison. 

4 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Well that was horrendous. Ten penalties given up inside 27 minutes. England seriously lucky not to be a lot further behind. Set piece horrible, line speed non-existent, no discipline at all at the breakdown and players just strolling around in defence. We're unrecognisable from the side that dismantled the Kiwis in the RWC.

Fair play to Scotland. Showing way more passion than us with greater intent and intensity. We look cumbersome and devoid of ideas by comparison. 

Unfortunately, we should have taken advantage of that half by England and be out of site. 

I expect England to overpower us and win. 

57 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Unfortunately, we should have taken advantage of that half by England and be out of site. 

I expect England to overpower us and win. 

Fair play to your lot, they've played literally all the rugby. As @Angry Ram has pointed out, anytime we've looked vaguely threatening, for some reason Farrell has just kicked the ball down Hogg's throat. I've also lost count of the penalties, free kicks and turnovers we've coughed up today and honestly can't remember another performance in the last 15 years as inept as that. 

Scotland deserved to win far more handsomely than they have, but I suspect they won't mind at all. Job done and more than good value for the win. so more power to them. Back to the drawing board yet again for Eddie Jones who seems bereft of ideas these days, but the players have done him no favours today.

Anyways, well done to your lads mate. They earned that in spades. 👍

EDIT - And not one of my bets copped 😆 😆😆

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Our kicking game in this match is a crime.. We’re just giving away possession and territory..

Piss poor.

We had a kicking game? 

May was dreadful as well - they kicked, we fumbled.... They kicked and it was sailing 25 mtrs over our heads. And the New wunderkind touched the ball for the first time in the 65th minute. 

Absolutely pathetic coaching to set up like that and the players should take a hard look at themselves. 

27 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

We had a kicking game? 

May was dreadful as well - they kicked, we fumbled.... They kicked and it was sailing 25 mtrs over our heads. And the New wunderkind touched the ball for the first time in the 65th minute. 

Absolutely pathetic coaching to set up like that and the players should take a hard look at themselves. 

We always have a game like this in us don’t we? Just don’t turn up on the odd occasion. I can take losing play reasonable well but just coming up against a better team.  This was not turning up against a better team. 
We seem to have an obsession with the kicking game, I have stated before on her, I just don’t get it. At certain points in a game, yes. In certain situations, yes. But it should not be the main game plan. Keep the ball, go through the phases. At one point today, we kicked away position in their half and then added up back in our own 22. Just makes no sense.

5 hours ago, 2tups said:

We’re always up for a plucky turnabout, write us off and Gemmill scores. But today, I knew the win was on from early on. 

But, hey, I’m just a rugby league loving Cas fan from Belper. 

Those first 10 mins are crucial for us. If they are poor we rarely seem to be able to get out of the rut. 

Gutted for the Irish there. Clearly the better side, but hardman O'Mahony's idiocy has cost them dear. As for Billy Burns, he needs to give his head a rattle. No need to cut that touch-finder so tight. What was he thinking?

Great game for the neutral, though that'll be scant consolation for Ireland. Wales have looked a very poor side for some time now and Pivac's days must be numbered. Josh Navidi once again the catalyst for a fight back of sorts, but what was he doing on the bench anyway?