The GF Column.

24Charlie

It says 17 after 27 matches and 4 of those came in one game.

I'm going to assume that's the worst tally, at this point, in a second tier season in our history. The only reason we arn't in the bottom 3 is our defence. Which is doing great. 

If I was a Rams defender I'd be fed up watching the ineptitude in forward areas.

So over the hill on white chargers gallop Roberts and Gregory to replace JHI and Whitaker. Surely and upgrade. Add in an almost fit Lawrence along with Ibe, who found his way into training this week and surely the GF column should start to look better and a rise in the table should follow. 

It can't get worse, can it?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We scored 4 in that one game when we started Sibbo, and he might have scored 5 himself if he'd played more and been a bit sharper. He started the next game and we could easily have been 4 up at half-time. Then he was dropped. Before and since, we simply do not look like scoring at all. The aim seems to be keep it tight and maybe we'll grab a goal somehow. This has to stop. We need more threat and creativity.

Louie Sibley is our most forward-thinking, skillful player, and the lack of goals is the reason we might be relegated. He has to play.

33 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

We scored 4 in that one game when we started Sibbo, and he might have scored 5 himself if he'd played more and been a bit sharper. He started the next game and we could easily have been 4 up at half-time. Then he was dropped. Before and since, we simply do not look like scoring at all. The aim seems to be keep it tight and maybe we'll grab a goal somehow. This has to stop. We need more threat and creativity.

Louie Sibley is our most forward-thinking, skillful player, and the lack of goals is the reason we might be relegated. He has to play.

To be fair Sibbo has been as bad as the rest at converting chances.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I have another worry that the amount of work Knight and Shinnie get through is going to catch up with them.

It is great our defence has improved, a settled back four helps. But that has never been the biggest problem. Teams know if they score first we are finished. 

Under Cocu we scored 5 goals. 12 under since with 4 in one game. Moved from 0.45 per game to .075. 0.52 if you take out the 4-0 fixture.

That is has to improve and quickly.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

When he plays, Knight becomes more of an attacking threat too. 

Our strikers aren't nearly clinical enough with the paucity of chances we create which is why they're plying their trade at this level and not playing for a top European outfit. 

The 4-0 win over Brum was a freak result and can't see many other teams gifting us that many goals.

You wouldn’t think it could get any worse. This is probably not just the worst Derby attack I’ve ever seen, it’s amongst the worst attacks I’ve ever seen at second division level. Absolutely impotent, our final ball and invention in the final third is shocking. It’s no wonder we are where we are. I’ve always thought that teams who can’t score goals are more likely to be relegated than those who can’t keep clean sheets, and that’s why I struggle to see us staying up. You can win games without clean sheets, you can’t win games without scoring goals.

We have absolutely got to improve that goals for tally, there’s no doubt about it. Hopefully these new players will make a difference. I think Roberts has the potential to have an effect on our attack similar to what Bielik had on our defence. He’s an incredibly talented footballer, it’s just getting it out of him. Big test of Rooney’s coaching ability.

Food for thought in below stats - Kazim is the second most clinical striker in the division, fact. We are simply not creating enough chances - wingers not creating any opportunities/scoring goals & our midfield has less attacking threat than Andy Carroll with his shoelaces tied together. 

Whilst Rotherham was a poor display, noticed Kazim getting into the 6 yard box for 2/3 (failed) crosses early on & getting frustrated by the poor delivery. He's not the problem & nor is the defence that have kept numerous clean sheets in the last 2 months. Its a midfield/wide man issue - that's why we are in 20th position.

image.png.0945720ed193968ae5917ffcdc2baef7.png

3 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Food for thought in below stats - Kazim is the second most clinical striker in the division, fact. We are simply not creating enough chances - wingers not creating any opportunities/scoring goals & our midfield has less attacking threat than Andy Carroll with his shoelaces tied together. 

Whilst Rotherham was a poor display, noticed Kazim getting into the 6 yard box for 2/3 (failed) crosses early on & getting frustrated by the poor delivery. He's not the problem & nor is the defence that have kept numerous clean sheets in the last 2 months. Its a midfield/wide man issue - that's why we are in 20th position.

image.png.0945720ed193968ae5917ffcdc2baef7.png

Nailed it buddy ?

The challenge is most of the time whoever is playing the cross in likes to bring the ball back on to the opposite foot and we miss the chance to cross the ball.

It happens so many times it is infuriating.

V Rotherham when we started the game and had a few early crosses in the box that were cut out we were very close to scoring from them.

We very soon went away from this to the winger or fullback going on the outside (with CKR making the run into the box along with others) to then pulling the ball back to cross with the other foot, or pass to next nearest winger, we then dither a bit and most of the time don't even get a ball into the box, or it is too late and we have all the defenders in place ready to defend.

We do this with lots of our build up play through the middle as well. There are early balls on while the defence is back tracking but we choose the reverse pass or 'safe' ball most of the time and give the defence time to settle.

Then we wonder why we struggle to create chances or score more than 1.

I think whilst its a poor return on paper, is it really a surprise with our set up and personnel? I look at 17 goals and think I can't believe its that low. I then look at our midfield and CF and think actually, its bang on. Should we expect more from this team?

Shinnie, Bielik (Bird), Knight, Joz and CKR have been the mainstay of our attacking unit for the past few months. Maybe throw in Waggy or Evans (when we've gone 5 at the back). Two creative players in forward part of the team? We also rely on Buchanan and Byrne way too much and even then they've only got a sole assist each. (Our leaders are Waggy and Joz with two each).

What we've got going will hopefully be enough to keep us up as its been pretty solid since Cocu left. I just hope theres enough in Wazza's managerial ability to evolve it going forward. For what its worth I've got no problem how we've gone back to basics, the football has still been good at times too. Purposeful as opposed to Cocu's pedestrian set up. 

6 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I think whilst its a poor return on paper, is it really a surprise with our set up and personnel? I look at 17 goals and think I can't believe its that low. I then look at our midfield and CF and think actually, its bang on. Should we expect more from this team?

Shinnie, Bielik (Bird), Knight, Joz and CKR have been the mainstay of our attacking unit for the past few months. Maybe throw in Waggy or Evans (when we've gone 5 at the back). Two creative players in forward part of the team? We also rely on Buchanan and Byrne way too much and even then they've only got a sole assist each. (Our leaders are Waggy and Joz with two each).

What we've got going will hopefully be enough to keep us up as its been pretty solid since Cocu left. I just hope theres enough in Wazza's managerial ability to evolve it going forward. For what its worth I've got no problem how we've gone back to basics, the football has still been good at times too. Purposeful as opposed to Cocu's pedestrian set up. 

Well said.

I think with adding Roberts and Gregory, plus Lawrence getting fully fit we should have a bit more firepower. Bar Wedsnesday we've stopped leaking goals, if with our very limited squad Rooney had been able to turn us into a free-scoring team then he'd have been a real wonder. It was always going to take transfers in to make the squad fully competitive. It's still a bit thin. But looking more likely to ...

#COYR

Shots per 90. Waghorn's been the only one in the top 8 to have been playing in recent weeks, and Jozwiak is the only regular this season out of the top 10.

image.png.ac10da11c58b955276e842a67c0ea401.png

Just shots in general, Clarke is 2nd for most shots this season. Kazim only just overtook Rooney for shots, and is down at 6th.

image.png.3d9d6da2c6c9ae4f33f59be214a78f32.png

Get Sibley and Lawrence back onto the field as soon as we can and I imagine we'll start seeing more goals to our scored column.

xG (30 goals for) suggests we're creating goal scoring chances, but our finishing is bad or good goalkeeping. Think about the number of chances Clarke has had cleared off the line for example. 
https://experimental361.com/2021/02/03/expected-goals-table-championship-2-3-feb-2021/

Archived