Thanks Mel

IslandExile

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure I can join this fest. We seem to have sold Holmes, Evans, Gordon?, Whittaker and 3 small boys, so we can get some loanees in. It seems like good business, and I fully accept we are in Covid times, but it really doesn’t seem Mel has put any new money in or changed tack. It just looks to me that we have cashed in on some family bronze and silver.

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

Not sure I can join this fest. We seem to have sold Holmes, Evans, Gordon?, Whittaker and 3 small boys, so we can get some loanees in. It seems like good business, and I fully accept we are in Covid times, but it really doesn’t seem Mel has put any new money in or changed tack. It just looks to me that we have got rid of some family bronze and silver.

I think that’s been our problem for so many seasons though. We just keep those average players as they can ‘do a job’ and now they’ve been cleared out. I can only really think of Forsyth who is left and could be classed as that.

Gordon and the other 3 youngsters I don’t think we really get a say in.

Who knows, Mel could have left the wages unpaid and we signed nobody. 

4 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Not sure I can join this fest. We seem to have sold Holmes, Evans, Gordon?, Whittaker and 3 small boys, so we can get some loanees in. It seems like good business, and I fully accept we are in Covid times, but it really doesn’t seem Mel has put any new money in or changed tack. It just looks to me that we have cashed in on some family bronze and silver.

But we kept the Crown Jewels

I think it's clear there's been a big effort to give WR enough to get through this season in the circumstances.

Remember 2 weeks ago we all discussing potential administration?

OK, lets not get carried away that the good times are back because we loaned Lee Gregory and a defender off Rangers, but have we got enough to get through and start fresh in the next season, still in the championship - I think now, yes we have.

7 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I'm happy because we haven't sold any important players. We've strengthened the team and now have a bigger squad. If someone gets injured, we're not in trouble.

However, I am massively concerned about next season. 6 loans is ridiculous when you think about it. And then you've got players who will be out of contract. It's very risky. Hopefully something happens with the takeover and we can get ourselves sorted because there is a huge summer window coming up for us.

3 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Ok but at least you can be happy that we didn't have to sell the diamonds (Knight, Sibley, Buchanan and Bird).

I am not unhappy with the business done, and certainly I am pleased we held on to the 4 you mention, but I don’t feel that we need to go overboard with praise to Mel Morris when more important matters relating to our finances, and the potential sale, are being kept from us.

Just now, i-Ram said:

I am not unhappy with the business done, and certainly I am pleased we held on to the 4 you mention, but I don’t feel that we need to go overboard with praise to Mel Morris when more important matters relating to our finances, and the potential sale, are being kept from us.

Fair enough but we have no idea why that is, so it's a tad unfair to blame Mel when we don't know the facts. Or, indeed, whether he is prevented from providing the update we all crave because doing so may impact on the negotiations.

4 minutes ago, TomSaint said:

Have we sold them players to cover part of the loanees salary? brill signings but gutted we didn’t sign any permanent players 

No doubt we had to lose wages to maintain wages I would think.  Weirdly, as a club who bring in around 21-22 million a year we're actually disadvantaged not just by parachute payments at one end but also against clubs with smaller overheads this season. So a bit of a role reversal. Selling 12 million quid's worth of players only really covers us for six -seven months.

28 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Brilliant business in my opinion. Wheeler dealing. Fresh blood. Anything can happen by the summer. We have a better squad and no more in debt hopefully. Wayne has got five players that he wanted so fair play to Wayne. His first challenge is to keep us up. No choice with Gordon or three youngsters and Holmes wanted out. Evans transfer probably paid for Roberts wages. Do not know about loan fees.

29 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

I'm happy because we haven't sold any important players. We've strengthened the team and now have a bigger squad. If someone gets injured, we're not in trouble.

However, I am massively concerned about next season. 6 loans is ridiculous when you think about it. And then you've got players who will be out of contract. It's very risky. Hopefully something happens with the takeover and we can get ourselves sorted because there is a huge summer window coming up for us.

Next year our young players form the backbone of first team. Perms would have stopped young players coming through.

46 minutes ago, Mckram said:

I think that’s been our problem for so many seasons though. We just keep those average players as they can ‘do a job’ and now they’ve been cleared out. I can only really think of Forsyth who is left and could be classed as that.

Gordon and the other 3 youngsters I don’t think we really get a say in.

Who knows, Mel could have left the wages unpaid and we signed nobody. 

Exactly

Exceeded my expectations in getting 5 players in and hope they all will be valuable contributors to us staying in the Division this season. 

Not quite though convinced about the merits of the MM love in, as another poster far more esteemed and knowledgeable than myself has already posted the loans appear to have been covered by transfer outgoings and not a fresh injection of capital.

Am keeping my powder dry until the full details of the takeover, if it even happens, comes to light and then will give credit where credit is due if appropriate.

Having already seen words like blame being bandied about in response to fair points being made then like anything just wish for a bit of balance.

Makes a nice change from a normal transfer deadline day though.

Archived