Teden Mengi - signed on loan until the end of the season

Arsene Titman

It’ll be interesting to see where he fits in, how he adapts, and how soon he’s brought into the fold.

The one thing that might go against him is that Clarke and Wisdom is a very settled partnership now and we’ve had a strong run defensively, although Wisdom has his nervy moments.

Perhaps there will be some rotation? We do have seven games in less than 28 days for starters and the lad has obviously come to play.

Seems like a good addition! Hopefully gives us the option to switch to back 3 as and when we need to. If the current in-form backline gets disrupted by injury or suspension then we have someone in waiting who will be eager to impress. 

Good deal, can we be greedy and have some more please?

1 minute ago, abertawe_ram said:

Seems like a good addition! Hopefully gives us the option to switch to back 3 as and when we need to. If the current in-form backline gets disrupted by injury or suspension then we have someone in waiting who will be eager to impress. 

Good deal, can we be greedy and have some more please?

Our squad is paper thin I don't think it's greedy to want more ?

4 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

It’ll be interesting to see where he fits in, how he adapts, and how soon he’s brought into the fold.

The one thing that might go against him is that Clarke and Wisdom is a very settled partnership now and we’ve had a strong run defensively, although Wisdom has his nervy moments.

Perhaps there will be some rotation? We do have seven games in less than 28 days for starters and the lad has obviously come to play.

Maybe.  

Maybe Rooney will consider switching to 3 at the back in certain games? 

One thing that is definite, it gives him options, which is something we've been sorely lacking since Davis was injured.

He seems like a player that would play very well in a back 3. From the little footage we have from YouTube highlight reels it's clear he can dribble and pass the ball extremely well, but I would be concerned if that were to happen without other defenders around him covering for his forays forward.

Wouldn't surprise me if he was eventually used for Bielik cover in a CDM role if Bird doesn't work out as he has a similar style of winning the ball and quickly starting a counter attack.

18 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Maybe.  

Maybe Rooney will consider switching to 3 at the back in certain games? 

One thing that is definite, it gives him options, which is something we've been sorely lacking since Davis was injured.

Well that’s not true, is it? We have had options all along, but Rooney didn’t trust these players.

Evans and Te Wierik amassed three appearances between them under Rooney. The academy lads like Solomon were here but not deemed ready.

I guess three at the back is a possibility but it does seem that Rooney prefers a four, but maybe because of the injury to Bielik that will be re-assessed.

Interesting signing and let’s see how he does. It might be one we’ve signed with a view to a longer term loan next season.

This loan doesn't excite me at all. At the moment I'm hoping we get in loan players with more experience. Player who understand what is needed to play and survive in this league. Not a young player, who's parent club as let him out on loan purely to gain more experience of playing more competitive football than he would get playing U21 games.

10 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

This loan doesn't excite me at all. At the moment I'm hoping we get in loan players with more experience. Player who understand what is needed to play and survive in this league. Not a young player, who's parent club as let him out on loan purely to gain more experience of playing more competitive football than he would get playing U21 games.

I guess we have to defer to WR here. If he is the type of player who can mop up behind Shinnie and Knight, just in front of Wisdom and Clarke, and can drive forward, confident in possession, then maybe he’s a type of Bielik replacement.

As a youngster, he may be one we go in for at the end of the season, when we may need to replace both Clarke and Wisdom.

19 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

I'm just going to point out our last two Players of the Year.... 

Tomori and Clarke. Neither had played a substantial amount of time in our league prior to signing. 

I would say our hit rate with signing decent loan defenders is pretty good right now. 

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

Well that’s not true, is it? We have had options all along, but Rooney didn’t trust these players.

Evans and Te Wierik amassed three appearances between them under Rooney. The academy lads like Solomon were here but not deemed ready.

I guess three at the back is a possibility but it does seem that Rooney prefers a four, but maybe because of the injury to Bielik that will be re-assessed.

Interesting signing and let’s see how he does. It might be one we’ve signed with a view to a longer term loan next season.

Options you don’t trust aren’t options are they. He’s hardly going to play players that would weaken us...

17 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Options you don’t trust aren’t options are they. He’s hardly going to play players that would weaken us...

Well I guess we’ll see why Rooney has more trust in Mengi and Edmundson in due course.

Let’s hope that both players have the desired impact.

By all accounts, both players will bring more athleticism and physicality to the table.

So it could be an inspired move by Rooney.

9 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Wisdom has been very good lately. Hope we keep him. 

??.. he has the occasional bad game or makes the odd poor decision but he is a proper footballer, got strength, not afraid to tackle, reads the game well and can play a decent pass - long or short. Like him. Solid all rounder with some decent skill. 

7 minutes ago, Yani P said:

Hopefully he makes a good impact..I remember Tomori had a few shockers when he first turned up but ended up as a superb loanee..

He was raw as anything at first ... and couldn’t head for toffee .. but boy did he grow up and develop with us .. loved him on the pitch and had a first class attitude. You just know when a player loves playing . He did.