Marshall Munetsi

Heisenberg

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DanS1992 said:

Having lived in France for the past 20 years and having regularly followed Ligue 1, Munetsi is an ok player, not brilliant but not bad either. If he does sign, don't expect him to rip any trees up. In all honesty, we could find better. 

Other than the top few teams, what is the quality in Ligue 1 like compared to the Champ

16 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Other than the top few teams, what is the quality in Ligue 1 like compared to the Champ

Well, you have PSG that are due to their financial might, leagues ahead of everyone else, bar the odd year where they screw up (last time was 2016-17 where Monaco pipped them to the title). 

Then you have a few of the historic big french clubs that are around the same level (Marseille, Monaco, Lyon, Rennes, Lille, Nice, Saint-Etienne) fighting for the european spots. From time to time there is a surprse package that gate crashes the group.

Then you have the rest, and the level ain't great. Very physical, pacey and atheletic teams, but lacking quality. You have PSG who would be competing with the big boys in the prem. And the 7 historic french clubs I mentionned could compete in the prem, somewhere between the Europa league spots and mid to lower table I guess. But then the rest, no chance they would survive in the prem. They would probably be mid to lower table championship sides.

Clubs like Reims would probably be a mid table championship side and Munetsi would probably do a decent job for a mid table championship team, nothing more nothing less.

2 minutes ago, handyill said:

To come back to the French tweet, "prêt avec OA (option d'achat')" means a loan with an option to buy. Doesn't sound as if he particularly wants to come here though.

Why would he not want to come to the Cote d'Azurine? ?

33 minutes ago, handyill said:

To come back to the French tweet, "prêt avec OA (option d'achat')" means a loan with an option to buy. Doesn't sound as if he particularly wants to come here though.

Why wouldn't he want to come here?

He gets to play in a swamp and he won't get paid?

Would be delighted with this one, seems like exactly what we need based on his stats. Got good passing statistics, and appears to be defensively dominant as well. In other words, very Bielik like. Could be similarly a class above this level as well, looks a top talent based on some of his highlights. We desperately need to sign a new CDM if we’re going to let Evans go now Bielik is out long term - otherwise we have no cover for Shinnie and Bird. I reckon this lad could be better than that as well, and potentially become first choice.

Reading between the lines in that translated tweet, it sounds to me like we’ve made a loan offer and they’re willing to let him go, but only if there’s a permanent option in there. I don’t see why we wouldn’t put one in to be honest, we will need a new CDM in the summer anyway even if Bielik is back, as Evans will have left permanently and we will be lacking in options. Reckon this one could go right to the wire on deadline day, so will be interesting to watch tomorrow.

Would have thought it goes without saying that 'we could find better' - there are always 'better' players out there and always room for improvement... but... can we find better based on; 

• the money we can afford to spend;
  • the players who are available in January; 
  • the players who are willing to come to a struggling Championship side who have just recently had issues with paying players;
  • the players who would meet our needs, and
  • the players who are better than we have...

Probably narrows the field down considerably.

As always, I'll reserve judgement as always until he's had a game or two but we can't expect superstars (but hopefully the odd hidden gem!).

2 minutes ago, AutoWindscreens said:

Ooh, linguistic debate! It may be open to more than one interpretation, but my linguist says "wouldn't have to". 

I've been living in France for 30 years. It usually means "shouldn't". It can, more rarely, mean "wouldn't have to', but here it is definitely an expression of probability (or lack thereof).

2 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

He looks a decent player, but its hard to tell how good when your playing in that league

I'd have him on loan though if we're letting Evans go.

It is difficult to judge a player on YouTube clips but there are elements to his play which can be assessed. 

He looks nippy and strong and plays passes nice and early. 

If he has been properly scouted then he looks like a good option. 

11 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Would this guy qualify under the new Brexit ruling that’s in place?

I assume the fact that he is Zimbabwean took him outside of the net (my thinking being that the free movement that Brexit has stopped is that of EU citizens playing in EU clubs).

So my starting position is that Brexit does not apply - unless I suppose the EU had an agreement with Zimbabwe that we haven't got around to replicating.

Archived