Buying gold or silver

ram1964

Thinking about investing in bullion and wonder if anyone has any experience and can give any advice. Best traders to buy from ,what too look out for ,does and donts? 

Done a little research and probably more interested in buying bars rather than coins, thinking of both gold and silver . Any advice appreciated

3 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Did you not get enough from the monasteries back in the day?

That was decades before Iceland was settled and it was silver. 

Anyway, the vikings were just concerned for the souls of the monks who had fallen to greed and amassing treasure to displease their Lord

18 hours ago, ram1964 said:

Thinking about investing in bullion and wonder if anyone has any experience and can give any advice. Best traders to buy from ,what too look out for ,does and donts? 

Done a little research and probably more interested in buying bars rather than coins, thinking of both gold and silver . Any advice appreciated

Coins, British ones at least, don't attract CGT when you come to sell them, which makes them slightly more expensive than bars to purchase.

Whatever you do, make sure you're buying physical gold, not one of those companies that buy gold and hold it on your behalf.

• 10 months later...
13 minutes ago, Brammie Steve said:

Only six of this penny were ever issued and I’ve just bought three of them.

How’s that for canny shopping?

D5C5B2CA-3B42-4BEE-889B-96FAAA8EEEBA.jpeg

I think one sold for c. £27000. Did you know there’s an Australian 1933 penny and with a bit of precision cutting you can make a British one. Totally fake by the way.

1 hour ago, Gritstone Ram said:

I think one sold for c. £27000. Did you know there’s an Australian 1933 penny and with a bit of precision cutting you can make a British one. Totally fake by the way.

£72 grand actually, and even then some experts were not convinced as it was number seven of the half dozen or something!

EBay often refers to a coin as a ‘restrike’ and puts a hyphen in the condition box.

A dead giveaway is when you can buy more than one!

Caveat emptor!

Edited by Brammie Steve

12 hours ago, Brammie Steve said:

£72 grand actually, and even then some experts were not convinced as it was number seven of the half dozen or something!

EBay often refers to a coin as a ‘restrike’ and puts a hyphen in the condition box.

A dead giveaway is when you can buy more than one!

Caveat emptor!

...which reminded me of this...