George Evans - signed for Millwall

Heisenberg

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like George Evans, I think he's a solid player at this level, and can cover multiple positions.

He's never going to be a star player or the difference between a good or bad side at this level, but he's a good player to have in the squad.

I'd say he's certainly worth more than £500k, although I'm surprised it was flat out rejected, and then leaked, if we're desperate for cash and getting bids like that for players which aren't guaranteed to start.

5 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I like George Evans, I think he's a solid player at this level, and can cover multiple positions.

He's never going to be a star player or the difference between a good or bad side at this level, but he's a good player to have in the squad.

I'd say he's certainly worth more than £500k, although I'm surprised it was flat out rejected, and then leaked, if we're desperate for cash and getting bids like that for players which aren't guaranteed to start.

What makes you tthink we leaked it? maybe some snakey sort at Millwall wanting to unsettle the player.....

If they made this bid a couple of months ago it would've been snapped up. I've always felt Evans has a good level (not loads) of potential as a centre back. I'm not sure what that's worth, because he's not quite there yet. He's still a steady makeweight player most of the time. He also isn't too far from injuries. I think it goes under the radar because he's never been a stalwart in the team. 

We can't afford to sell Evans without getting a replacement in. Selling him would leave us with just Clarke and Wisdom as recognised CBs. Not only that, but it means we'd be down to just 5 senior defenders on top of the 5 senior CMs. Also, Evans is currently the only CB we have who is under contract beyond this summer.

Given the squad issues, it would surely take at least £1m for us to even consider selling.

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We can't afford to sell Evans without getting a replacement in. Selling him would leave us with just Clarke and Wisdom as recognised CBs. Not only that, but it means we'd be down to just 5 senior defenders on top of the 5 senior CMs. Also, Evans is currently the only CB we have who is under contract beyond this summer.

Given the squad issues, it would surely take at least £1m for us to even consider selling.

Needs to be a bigger fee thank 500k and 100% guarantee of a CB coming in before we can consider selling him

To be fair, Forsyth, Bielik, and Buchanan can all play centre back, but yeah Evans in our small squad is really great to have around. But, if we do sign another first choice centre back and an attacking centre mid, I think we would have more than enough cover, and Evans would be pushed down to 4th choice centre back.

1 minute ago, Floppy Sausage said:

To be fair, Forsyth, Bielik, and Buchanan can all play centre back, but yeah Evans in our small squad is really great to have around. But, if we do sign another first choice centre back and an attacking centre mid, I think we would have more than enough cover, and Evans would be pushed down to 4th choice centre back.

Until the summer when Clarke, Davies, Wisdom and potentially another loan CB leave the club, and he becomes first choice ?

I'd say this is a good barometer of where we're at. Evans is decent squad player. If we were in normal times, we'd sell him for about £2m and reinvest the cash in the squad. The problem is that until a takeover goes through we are not going to be properly funded. We might accept £1m just to partially fund another payroll round. I'm actually slightly impressed that we have been able to resist £500k.

Archived